Gp2x-7800: Atari 7800 Emulator For Gp2x V1.0.1


zx-81

Certified Guru
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
679
Age
50
Location
Earth
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
Destructo2000 said:
Is this supposed to just be proof of concept? It's good, don't get me wrong, but it has lots of graphical and compatibility issues. MotorPsycho cuts off the bottom half of the screen. I also had some games I couldn't get working, which are as follows:

KungFu Master, Pit Fighter, Ball Blazer, Barnyard Blaster, and Fatal Run.

Now I only tried about ten games so for this many to have problems, it needs to be worked on a lot. Some of the game would load and then freeze at the menu, some wouldn't load at all. Is anybody else having this problem?
Game compatibility can't be better than the original emu. Now it's a first version that i've just ported from psp to gp2x, so don't expect too much, and too quickly ;). I've never said it was bug free, and i've never said compatibility was 100%.

I encounter many issue with gp2x platform, mainly due to gcc 4.1 where struct are not packed the same way on linux and gp2x (it's a nightmare), the SDL sound doesn't work, i had to find hack to overcome some issue. I thought at first that gp2x dev would be better and easier than psp, and i was wrong ...

Anyway thanks for the "proof of concept", it's always good to have such encouragments.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
zx-81 said:
I encounter many issue with gp2x platform, mainly due to gcc 4.1 where struct are not packed the same way on linux and gp2x (it's a nightmare), the SDL sound doesn't work, i had to find hack to overcome some issue. I thought at first that gp2x dev would be better and easier than psp, and i was wrong ...
Have you spoken with some of the coders here that have been developing on the GP2X for awhile? They may be of alot of help. Guys like Squidge, Exophase, Zodttd, Reesy, and others have been coding for the platform for a long time (many times in ASM too) and may be able to give some good hints. Sorry you are having trouble with development. Hopefully things can get better after awhile.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
zx-81 said:
DaveC said:
Sorry you are having trouble with development. Hopefully things can get better after awhile.
That's coder life lol !


Yeah, it is supposed to be *fun* though. If you are having difficulty it kind of takes something away. I would still feel free to contact coders here for help. You will find them very willing to help out. It is not like some other communities where everyone is out for themselves and just wants to have the best first and not share info. The spirit here seems to be aimed towards getting programs to be the best they can, and coders (even testers and artists) will help others get to that point. There is alot of source code floating around for examples too. Look at the GP2X XMESS code. The Coleco and 7800 emus run smoother in that app, maybe there is something there that can help. The GP2X needs a bit more in the optimising dept due to the fact that it isn't as powerful as some other platforms such as PSP.

Good luck, have fun :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
1,994
Age
51
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Website
www.slaanesh.net
I find sometimes that sound cuts out. This happens when I go to change a setting and then use "Back to ATARI". Back in the game sound is gone. Exiting the emulator causes it to hang.

This has happened in a few games; Pole Position for one. Ikari Warriors also crashes. You probably know about these and like you said, it's not going to be *more* compatible than the original emu.

Really looking forward to v1.0.2 for this one!
 

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
slaanesh said:
I find sometimes that sound cuts out. This happens when I go to change a setting and then use "Back to ATARI". Back in the game sound is gone. Exiting the emulator causes it to hang.

This has happened in a few games; Pole Position for one. Ikari Warriors also crashes. You probably know about these and like you said, it's not going to be *more* compatible than the original emu.

Really looking forward to v1.0.2 for this one!

That is not really game specific I don't think. It is some sort of general bug as many of ZX-81 emus do this. I have had the Intellivision emu do that alot too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

zx-81

Certified Guru
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
679
Age
50
Location
Earth
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
DaveC said:
That is not really game specific I don't think. It is some sort of general bug as many of ZX-81 emus do this. I have had the Intellivision emu do that alot too.
Yes, you're right. It seems the SDL_PauseAudio (the function i use to mute the sound when entering in the emulator menu) crash randomly ... Then the audio thread is dead, and when the emulator tries to exit, it hangs.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top