Google Releases Source Code For Android

fischju2000

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/21/google-...ources-android/

Making good on a promise it made at the very beginning, Google has today announced that the source code underpinning its Android platform for mobile devices is available for free to anyone who wants a crack at it. The code is being provided through the newly-announced Android Open Source Project, which will give the public at large the opportunity to make contributions to the platform's all-important core -- a first for a mobile operating system with true mass-market appeal. Theoretically, the move should position Android to benefit from a fairly democratic, speedy evolution, and it'll also give anyone with a few spare chips lying around the chance to build a smartphone of their own without shelling out a dime in licensing fees. We're really looking forward to seeing Android pop up on a whole bunch of devices for which it was never intended -- but we have to admit, in a sick, totally twisted sort of way, we're looking forward to some truly deranged individual porting Windows Mobile to the G1, too.

Pandora being a device that it wasn't intended to run on, could be useful if ported, especially with the huge community that will be making apps for it.

(Yes, I posted it on both forums)

I personally want the dalvik vm on every platform. A good implementation of that would make many android apps work.

cb88 said:
the G1 is running symbian AFAIK... closed source but probably already runs on the omap 3530 if not with all the drivers
No, you are very wrong. It runs linux with a custom stack and a very cool virtual machine that runs java code.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm for port the VM, trash the rest. Even if the UI is a little cool, it isn't as functional or powerful as what we'll have next month.

sindbad said:
cb88 said:
the G1 is running symbian AFAIK... closed source but probably already runs on the omap 3530 if not with all the drivers
No, you are very wrong. It runs linux with a custom stack and a very cool virtual machine that runs java code.
let's get a cup of java then ^______^ android on pandora as OS couln't sound better to me :pandora1: :rolleyes:

Can it run doom?
what about flash? could be useful on the pandora. and we could use it for pda apps and let the devs work on emulators-games :p

cb88 said:
but i thought they had used the symbian kernel in the G1
No. QUOTE
Android relies on Linux version 2.6 for core system services such as security, memory management, process management, network stack, and driver model. The kernel also acts as an abstraction layer between the hardware and the rest of the software stack.

Since Android applications are nothing more than slightly modified JAVA apps, it would be more sensible to create a wrapper to run them under the Pandora's OS rather than have a full Android installation. The OS itself is nothing special, it's just getting hype because it's the first "open" OS for smartphones.

Chip said:
Since Android applications are nothing more than slightly modified JAVA apps, it would be more sensible to create a wrapper to run them under the Pandora's OS rather than have a full Android installation. The OS itself is nothing special, it's just getting hype because it's the first "open" OS for smartphones.
Kinda, the Dalvik VM would have to be ported, with it's depending stack, just like a regular JVM.

This further extends my theory that Google is trying to take over the world. They control our videos in youtube, they have pictures of all our houses in Streetview, and now they are trying to control the mobile platform. Call me crazy but who knows what Google will do next. :blink:

Fry_Guy1440 said:
This further extends my theory that Google is trying to take over the world. They control our videos in youtube, they have pictures of all our houses in Streetview, and now they are trying to control the mobile platform. Call me crazy but who knows what Google will do next. :blink:

Oh, have I got the ultimate answer for that one: Rumor has it that Obama wants Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google, to fill a new cabinet position title "Chief Technology Officer"

i'm not really very interested in android. uses linux, but the phones expect signed images, so android open source doesn't really mean anything.

you can only use java... really boring :(

Fry_Guy1440 said:
Crazy :p

fischju2000 said:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/21/google-...ources-android/

Making good on a promise it made at the very beginning...

Yup it's a brilliant strategy:

"We'll start developing some new software. It'll automatically be hyped because it's google. We won't actually finish it though, we'll open-source it so other people can finish it off and stabilize it for us, then we'll take all the credit. Google so rock."

ish420 said:
Fry_Guy1440 said:
Crazy :p

Not really ;) Here in Germany they suggested in the news, not to use Chrome, because it is known to collect various data from the user. Google wants to establish a system, where you access programs through internet, and you don't need them on the local PC anymore. The possibilities of collecting data is enormous.
You attend the birth of a new online Microsoft. So switch to oppositon sooner than later, and don't hype every open source thingy, just because you think it's cool ;)

Pleng said:
"We'll start developing some new software. It'll automatically be hyped because it's google. We won't actually finish it though, we'll open-source it so other people can finish it off and stabilize it for us, then we'll take all the credit. Google so rock."
I don't see the problem.

mali said:
Not really ;) Here in Germany they suggested in the news, not to use Chrome, because it is known to collect various data from the user. Google wants to establish a system, where you access programs through internet, and you don't need them on the local PC anymore. The possibilities of collecting data is enormous.
You attend the birth of a new online Microsoft. So switch to oppositon sooner than later, and don't hype every open source thingy, just because you think it's cool ;)
sounds like a conspiracy to me :p

Back