Google's Android

ashadocat

The google android mobile phone platform currently has no devices that support it. I Imagine the first device to support it will sell considerably better...

we'd need a usb cell phone network adapter and some porting, right?

alright, so it can run on pandora and it doesn't need cell phone connectivity (though it would be a plus)

why isn't it in some way advertised as an android compatible device. if we created an easy installer and gave it the drivers all of the android devs would probably want one.

Android is basically a framework for making handheld apps. It knows nothing of the underlying platform as it tries to work everywhere and it even encourages writing stuff in java to achieve this.

Should work just fine. Of course, applications for managing phone calls or such will be quite useless.

But as far as I know the only portable devices it runs on right now are laptops. I haven't seen anything smaller then a laptop running it outside of google. do you see how being the first really portable system to support it would boost sales? if it will run on the openmoko though it wouldn't boost sales much.

"Runs Android!" isn't much of a selling point as there aren't any android-specific programs yet. Lets say somebody goes out of their way to port the OS (no small feat, I would think). Then what? You have the latest and greatest mobile phone OS and you can't do anything with it. Ignoring the fact that Pandora isn't a phone, you're still stuck with the fact that Android will only run programs written in JAVA with the special SDK. As cell phone SDKs go it is not bad, but you would lose direct access to the hardware (not to mention OpenGL ES 2.0) compared to the custom Linux that Pandora is getting now.

I wouldn't be shocked if somebody eventually ported Android to Pandora just to prove it can be done, but there is no good reason (at least right now) for anybody to actually want to use it.

Back