Goals for Pyra Pre Orders

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
Hi ED, I've seen you mention that you need 1000 pre orders for Pyra to be able to proceed with manufacture.

My question is : Roughly how many pre orders would you like to see?

I can see good reasons for limiting the number of pre orders to 1000 (in case of faults as per early Pandoras) or trying to get as many pre orders as possible (lower costs of manufacture per unit).

The reason for the question is depending on your ideal the methods for promotion of the Pyra should differ quite considerably. For instance I'm pretty sure you could more than 1000 pre orders if you can show a working version of Desktop Minecraft running at a good framerate on Pyra.

Well, by producing and testing the prototypes upfront, we try to not have any issues.

A lot of parts have an MOQ of 2000, so getting at least 2000 orders would rock - although at least 1000 are needed to get things started.

Well, but committing to the donation fund that will mean ED needs less upfront costs to be fulfilled by preorder money to make the first units.  Other than that, acting as an ambassador for the unit as ED says will help drum up preorders.

Sure, once I got prototypes running and start posting videos, make sure to share them with the world :)

The more people find out about the Pyra, the more new users and orders we can get :D
I will try to share this on some spanish boars/newsites. BTW look at my avatar... :rolleyes:

Sure, once I got prototypes running and start posting videos, make sure to share them with the world :)

The more people find out about the Pyra, the more new users and orders we can get :D
I will try to share this on some spanish boars/newsites. BTW look at my avatar... :rolleyes:
Not to hijack this thread, but if you want direct Spanish language support on the Pyra keyboard layout, you might want to voice an opinion on the keyboard thread.  Not all of the suggestions have support for Ñ, ¿ and ¡.

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/18263-current-keyboard-layout/?p=390843

Last edited by a moderator:

Not to hijack this thread, but if you want direct Spanish language support on the Pyra keyboard layout, you might want to voice an opinion on the keyboard thread.  Not all of the suggestions have support for Ñ, ¿ and ¡.

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/18263-current-keyboard-layout/?p=390843
I have been saying it until the very first topics of kb but maybe I didn't make it too loud :p . Sorry for the little offtopic.

ED, If you have not enough with 1k pre, why not try to slow down a little and wait until 2k pres?

Been away from the forums for a while. Last time I checked, ED said on multiple occasions he would never take preorders for the Pyra. That it would only be buyable when it is in stock (to be sure the Pandora preorder fiasco had no chance to happen again).

I'm not saying that as a reproach, I'm just wondering what changed.

Thanks.

I don't remember that. I remember him saying he wouldn't take pre-orders until everything was ready to go mass production and he only needed the money to pay the factory to buy the parts.

I use to travel ~ 1200km up two  times a month via 'mitfahrgelegenheit' (car)  (I offer these trips in the web  so that people can drive with me). Often some other nerds join me. If so I  show them the Pandora and keep talking about open source, ...  (Also showing some old videos where ED presents the Pandora)

Also on Conferences people get atracted to the pandora. Imagine you are sitting next to a 19" wide screen laptop :ph34r: smiling :D

(Parents and friends are up to now a bit annoyed of my ongoing pandora speeches  :D   , but well all of them are up to date in regard of the pyra development) 

That does seem to be my memory too. 
Well thank you gentlemen. I was really sure I'd heard it on multiple occasions but after your replies I did a quick forum search and couldn't find anything supporting this.

Seems I was mistaken.

I use to travel ~ 1200km up two  times a month via 'mitfahrgelegenheit' (car)  (I offer these trips in the web  so that people can drive with me). Often some other nerds join me. If so I  show them the Pandora and keep talking about open source, ...  (Also showing some old videos where ED presents the Pandora)

Also on Conferences people get atracted to the pandora. Imagine you are sitting next to a 19" wide screen laptop :ph34r: smiling :D

(Parents and friends are up to now a bit annoyed of my ongoing pandora speeches  :D   , but well all of them are up to date in regard of the pyra development)
It is impossible not to be attracted to the Pandora :)

Well thank you gentlemen. I was really sure I'd heard it on multiple occasions but after your replies I did a quick forum search and couldn't find anything supporting this.

Seems I was mistaken.
Not necessarily. I'm just saying I remember it differently, either one of us can be mistaken, I can't find any post to back up my memory either. I only butted in to pre-empt anyone taking your statement and running to the nearest torch and pitchfork store, not to tell you you were definitively wrong. :p I also butted in knowing ED is busy and not likely to get here to defend himself any time soon.

Back