Gngeo Issues

The 8 files are only the updated ROMs for the Caanoo. You need to download the Wiz pack (4 files) and copy them first, as described above. The Wiz pack contains the BIOS files.

Yes, as Yoshi says, it's a 2-step process.

First you install the Wiz pack "base install", and then you decompress the Caanoo packs overtop of the Wiz install to apply Caanoo-specific updates/fixes.

Yoshi Dragon said:
The 8 files are only the updated ROMs for the Caanoo. You need to download the Wiz pack (4 files) and copy them first, as described above. The Wiz pack contains the BIOS files.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get this message rarely although just about all my Neo Geo roms work. I think it occurs when I exit large sized roms. I get the black screen and it says I am missing certain files although I am not. Like I said, the game (can't think of an example since it luckily doesn't happen a lot) works just quitting it is when the error message shows up. It won't quit the program either and I have to reset my Caanoo.

NEgO MANIAC said:
I'm working on downloading the first 4 files. What I don't understand is why do those 4 files have the same file name as the first 4 file updates. I was thinking they were the same files. If I put the updates in the same rom and romrc folders, they will overwrite the initial 4 files because of the file name.
Don't know what you mean (4 files with the same name?). However, here the full instructions...

1. Install Caanoo Emulator

Download the emulator from an emu pack or the file archive. Copy the emulator files to the folder /game/gngeo on the Caanoo.

2. Install Wiz ROM Pack

Download the Wiz pack, the following 4 files:

Code:
GnGeo+Wiz+Pack.part1.rar
GnGeo+Wiz+Pack.part2.rar
GnGeo+Wiz+Pack.part3.rar
GnGeo+Wiz+Pack.part4.rar
Copy the necessary files from this RAR archive to the Caanoo (overwrite files if prompted):

Code:
gngeo_0.7\roms\*.*     -->  /game/gngeo/roms
gngeo_0.7\romrc.d\*.*  -->  /game/gngeo/romrc.d
3. Install Caanoo ROM Update Pack

Download the Wiz pack, the following 8 files:

Code:
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part1.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part2.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part3.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part4.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part5.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part6.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part7.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part8.rar
Copy the necessary files from this RAR archive to the Caanoo (overwrite files if prompted):

Code:
\rage2x.dat  -->  /game/gngeo
\*.zip       -->  /game/gngeo/roms
rc\*.*       -->  /game/gngeo/romrc.d
preview\*.*  -->  /game/gngeo/preview

darklight1138 said:
I get this message rarely although just about all my Neo Geo roms work. I think it occurs when I exit large sized roms. I get the black screen and it says I am missing certain files although I am not. Like I said, the game (can't think of an example since it luckily doesn't happen a lot) works just quitting it is when the error message shows up. It won't quit the program either and I have to reset my Caanoo.
I think this is a different case. It happens on my Caanoo after starting a number of games ("memory leak" kind of problem).

Yoshi Dragon said:
I think this is a different case. It happens on my Caanoo after starting a number of games ("memory leak" kind of problem).

I see. So it's probably pretty normal?

darklight1138 said:
Yoshi Dragon said:
I see. So it's probably pretty normal?
This happens only after starting several games and it's "normal" (buggy) behaviour of the emulator. If the ROM is ok, the game starts after resetting the Caanoo. I had it on the Wiz and Caanoo when I tested/created complete ROM sets.

This is just getting comical or sad... I downloaded the 4 Wizpak files and put them in the rom and romrc folders and did the same with 8 caanoo updates. Still the same error messages about the bios.

Yoshi Dragon said:
NEgO MANIAC said:
I'm working on downloading the first 4 files. What I don't understand is why do those 4 files have the same file name as the first 4 file updates. I was thinking they were the same files. If I put the updates in the same rom and romrc folders, they will overwrite the initial 4 files because of the file name.
Don't know what you mean (4 files with the same name?). However, here the full instructions...

1. Install Caanoo Emulator

Download the emulator from an emu pack or the file archive. Copy the emulator files to the folder /game/gngeo on the Caanoo.

2. Install Wiz ROM Pack

Download the Wiz pack, the following 4 files:

Code:
GnGeo+Wiz+Pack.part1.rar
GnGeo+Wiz+Pack.part2.rar
GnGeo+Wiz+Pack.part3.rar
GnGeo+Wiz+Pack.part4.rar

Code:
gngeo_0.7\roms\*.*     -->  /game/gngeo/roms
gngeo_0.7\romrc.d\*.*  -->  /game/gngeo/romrc.d
3. Install Caanoo ROM Update Pack

Download the Wiz pack, the following 8 files:

Code:
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part1.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part2.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part3.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part4.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part5.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part6.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part7.rar
GnGeo_Canoo_Update.part8.rar

Code:
\rage2x.dat  -->  /game/gngeo
\*.zip       -->  /game/gngeo/roms
rc\*.*       -->  /game/gngeo/romrc.d
preview\*.*  -->  /game/gngeo/preview

darklight1138 said:

NEgO MANIAC said:
This is just getting comical or sad... I downloaded the 4 Wizpak files and put them in the rom and romrc folders and did the same with 8 caanoo updates. Still the same error messages about the bios.
Hmmm, might be a stupid question, but do you know what .rar files are ?

It's an archive of files. Open the first .rar file with 7-Zip and copy the content of the archive as described above (copying the .rar files to the Caanoo is pretty useless).

I finally got it to load. What a real pain in the ass. I'm still not happy completely. The Metal Slug games are my favorite and MS1 shows red on the list and MS 2 is green but says its a bad rom and MS 3 has no volume. What is the best way to fix this? Do I need to download the roms and install separately?

NEgO MANIAC said:
I finally got it to load. What a real pain in the ass. I'm still not happy completely. The Metal Slug games are my favorite and MS1 shows red on the list and MS 2 is green but says its a bad rom and MS 3 has no volume. What is the best way to fix this? Do I need to download the roms and install separately?
MS/MS2 work fine. MS3 has issues with the status bar, otherwise it works fine.

Did you copy the files in the correct order ?

Check your ROMs (CRC) with 7-Zip, they should look like:

mslug.jpg

mslug2.jpg

mslug3n.jpg

I deleted the old rom files that came on the packs and downloaded MS/MS2 roms and used those. They now work. I had to do this with a few other games too. I still cannot get Pulstar and Spin Master to work.

Yoshi Dragon said:
NEgO MANIAC said:
MS/MS2 work fine. MS3 has issues with the status bar, otherwise it works fine.

Did you copy the files in the correct order ?

Check your ROMs (CRC) with 7-Zip, they should look like:

mslug.jpg

mslug2.jpg

mslug3n.jpg

Maybe you can give NeoCD a try with some of the games, as the emulator is a lot easier to handle and it´s not such a hassle with the roms. If I remember correctly, I got every CD to work, I tried.

NEgO MANIAC said:
I deleted the old rom files that came on the packs and downloaded MS/MS2 roms and used those. They now work. I had to do this with a few other games too. I still cannot get Pulstar and Spin Master to work.
Pulstar works, but only with UniBIOS (Options -> SYSTEM UNIBIOS). Spin Master (one of my favorites) does not work. It runs fine on MAME4ALL, but has not been released on Neo Geo CD unfortunately. It runs great on FBA (Wiz, Dingoo), but FBA has never been ported to the Caanoo,

I think I have NEO running as it should. Now I want to focus on MAME. The vast majority of roms are getting the message: "required files are missing. the game cannot be run." Any thought on this? I now these are good roms since the run on my computer. Also, some games will not even show on my rom list.

NEgO MANIAC said:
I think I have NEO running as it should. Now I want to focus on MAME. The vast majority of roms are getting the message: "required files are missing. the game cannot be run." Any thought on this? I now these are good roms since the run on my computer. Also, some games will not even show on my rom list.
1. Forget your "good" ROMs on your computer. They will not work, unless you run MAME 0.37 on your computer.
2. Read this post (carefully) to get some basic understanding.
3. Build your own MAME4ALL ROM set using a ROM manager such as clrmamepro.

- or -

Download the Caanoo MAME4ALL ROM pack from Lostsite.

MAME is working, but I'm getting a quite a bit of cut-off on the top of the screen. For example, I can't see the upper ships and score on Galaga. How do access the screen size adjust?

Yoshi Dragon said:
NEgO MANIAC said:
1. Forget your "good" ROMs on your computer. They will not work, unless you run MAME 0.37 on your computer.
2. Read this post (carefully) to get some basic understanding.
3. Build your own MAME4ALL ROM set using a ROM manager such as clrmamepro.

- or -

Download the Caanoo MAME4ALL ROM pack from Lostsite.

NEgO MANIAC said:
MAME is working, but I'm getting a quite a bit of cut-off on the top of the screen. For example, I can't see the upper ships and score on Galaga. How do access the screen size adjust?
Change "Video Aspect" (with L/R) when starting the game. Galaga is a vertical shooter, plays best in "Rotate" mode.

Galaga is a vertical shooter, plays best in "Rotate" mode.
But I would recommend to adjust the controls. If you do so, you can get great playabilty out of the caanoo. For instance, you can play Arkanoid via G-Sensor, which is quiet near to the original paddles(at least much more, than digital controls). Most of your mame favourites will need a little control(or display) tuning, but if you take the time, you won´t be disappointed.
btw: You can enter mame´s main menu by pressing I+II at the same time(together).

Back