Gmenu2x

Lylep

Still Fresh
I have a F200 with firmware 4.00, and i was just wondering if installing GMenu2X would be worth the effort. I've heard a lot of people say how much better it is than the 1.4 layout but no ones told me how it compares to the 4.00 frontend. Also, does it have touchscreen support?

P.S sorry if this should have been in the I need help section :p

Installing it is no more "effort" than installing any other app/game. As far as I'm concerned it's an absolute must. How does it compare to the original front end? Gmenu2x actually does stuff.

The GP2X is all about trying this stuff out for yourself. Get amongst it first, ask questions later. ;)

The current version of GMenu2x does not (yet) support touchscreen, and some of the default shortcuts and features are set for the F-100 only. One example is the battery indicator, which does not work for the F-200 due to the changes in the F-200.

GMenu2X is better over the default menu in many ways. It is a launcher, meaning that once you have created a shortcut to a program, you can easily locate and launch it, compared to the default menu where you have to browse for the program every time. It also has a lot of features and settings that makes things easier or are missing in the default menu, such as volume level, overclocking, RAM tweak, file selector, themes, etc.

Although, the default menu is still okay. It has touchscreen support, and the simplicity is in a way also a plus. As long as the files in the SD card are organized and not that many, then the default menu should at least be usable. :p

Just try it, and judge for yourself. ;)

gmenu is much better than the default menu. I don't know how I'd get along without it especially with firmware 4.0's horrid menus. Touchscreen support should be coming for gmenu since the svn version already has touchscreen support just isn't a public version out yet with it.

Gmenu2x is really great, especially when you have a ton of stuff on your SD card. My card was getting so out of hand that it took me forever to find apps I used all the time. Gmenu2x made everything nice and organized :)

I believe that a "Use GMenu2x" sticky topic is in order, it bests the default frontend in every possible way :)

the only occasional drawback with gmenu is the display sometimes getting messed up after exiting a program using tv out. still I love gmenu its so well done and not of rip of any menu system for any other consoles. full featured and easy to use.

jbrodack said:
the only occasional drawback with gmenu is the display sometimes getting messed up after exiting a program using tv out. still I love gmenu its so well done and not of rip of any menu system for any other consoles. full featured and easy to use.
Agreed... The main advantage of GMenu2X is that Ryo actually asked the community what they wanted from a menu system and went away and implemented it. If you can dig up the original GMenu2X thread, it may be iteresting for some to follow the development process. It started as a very simple menu system (i.e. "Yet another menu system") but Ryo put in the time and effort and I still use this over the default menu on my 2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back