Gizmondo Sdk/status

foft

Certified Guru
Website
www.scrameta.net
Now the Giz is bust and it looks like they can be picked up cheap I'm considering having a play. With a faster CPU its a more realistic UAE target. Unfortunately all the websites/forums about it seem to have gone?! I saw Firefly did an SDK which sounds interesting, but I can't find it anywhere. As for getting a Smart Adds/Normal version, I'm guessing that doesn't make any difference any more? i.e. adds won't be broadcast nowadays?

Thanks,

Mark

www.gizmondoforums.com is still very much active.

I just picked one up a few days ago, UAE4ALL seems to be faster that the gp2x version but sound is completely broken.

I also tried to run pocketuae through WinCE on it with out much luck. It seems to stall.

http://www.giz.stu.ac/Homebrew.asp that site has a compatible SDK.

As for the smart adds system it never got off the ground, there is a homebrew service pack available on the above link that I used on my smart adds giz to make it run homebrew.

Firefly never released his SDK, and closed his Giz site shortly after he got pissed that Otaku released a "Run anything you like" patch (FF wanted everyone to send there apps to him for signing).

However, there an SDK out there by King that looks suspicously like the official Giz SDK :)

and of course Otaku Service Pack upgrade, which allows the Giz to run unsigned code.

Sounds cool. Thanks for the help Iorgy77 and Squidge. I wasn't having much luck finding these places with google. Just outdated and broken old links mostly...

These sound fun. I think UAE has more chance on this faster hardware. Or if not finishing off the Fellow C version. Though it seems emulators are not that much faster? Which seems odd since its a similar cpu clocked 50% faster? Does everything have to go via Wince? i.e. no hardware banging?

Thanks,

Mark

It's 100% faster than the GP2X - 400Mhz compared to 200Mhz. However, the Giz was designed as a 3D unit, so writing to the frame buffer is s...l...o...w... So if you attempt to go for 60 fps, you end up not much faster than the gp2x unless you do a lot of processing per frame.

Ignore the frame buffer writes and emu's are easily double the speed.

And no, you can't bypass WinCE at the moment - you have to use SDL, GDI or DirectX to draw to the frame buffer.

foft, any chance of a port of your excellent atari800 emulator to the giz?

nice to see another dev interested in the giz

Hirolaser posted on Sep 14 2006 at 05:20 PM said:
foft, any chance of a port of your excellent atari800 emulator to the giz?

nice to see another dev interested in the giz
Thats the plan. My Giz should arrive tomorrow I hope:) Course if I do that I'll really have to clean up the source so it builds for all 3 platforms (GP32/GP2X and Giz)...

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
foft posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:02 PM said:
Thats the plan. My Giz should arrive tomorrow I hope:) Course if I do that I'll really have to clean up the source so it builds for all 3 platforms (GP32/GP2X and Giz)...
At least sweetlilmre's SDL port for the Gizmondo is pretty good, so you shouldn't have too many problems with that at least - it should just be a fuck-ton of ifdefs for controls, etc. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back