Gex2x Vectrex Emulator

This looks to be the exact same version that Squidge posted over here in the Emulation forum.... It has no way to load roms, and I don't think it was meant as anything more than a beta. Still, plays a decent game of Mine Storm.

--Zero

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to warn you - this is the beta that Squidge posted a while ago. There's no menu or rom selector - and you can only play minestorm (the buillt in game).

It's a great start but unfortunately Squidge is in hospital at the moment, so don't expect any progress for a while...

Darn, this looks pretty good .. but no way to load ROMs? Eessh .. Still, its a good one .. Hope you get better soon Squidge!

Get well soon! At least this led me to read the wikipedia entry on the Vectrex. It's an interesting system, no doubt.

somebody should also design a 3d-headset for the GP2X with Vectrex emulation and sent it to me! thanks in advance!

edit: Meh, there was one detail I didn't notice. I thought it was loading a rom file of a certain name, but no it just loads the bios.

Squidge said:
Some people think the Vectrex was childs play to emulate though for some reason simply because it used simple vector line drawing. They normally don't notice the analogue electronics used to control the gun on the b/w crt, and so you need to get your pixel clock in sync with your cpu clock, or just get garbage on the screen (and then of course optimise the end result so it doesn't require several hundred mhz to emulate). Then of course you have the MUX for the game pads and sound output (simple D2A).
Often, the older systems are much harder to emulate than you'd think due to issues like these.

--Zero

Yes, I´ll wait, but I thought that an old and easy system like vectrex could not represent a "hard battle" to work it out ;)

It can be done easily, yes, and it already has been (check the forums, there's already versions that will run roms at roughly the right speed without sound with the cpu @ ~260mhz). However, getting it running fast at default cpu clock is a totally different ball game :)

(then again, I've missed out a lot of the hardware, so it's a case of finding out what games need and implementing it. If I put it all in, it'll slow down a lot, but don't put enough in, and it sacrifices compatibility)

Yes, I´ll wait, but I thought that an old and easy system like vectrex could not represent a "hard battle" to work it out ;)

It can be done easily, yes, and it already has been (check the forums, there's already versions that will run roms at roughly the right speed without sound with the cpu @ ~260mhz). However, getting it running fast at default cpu clock is a totally different ball game :)

(then again, I've missed out a lot of the hardware, so it's a case of finding out what games need and implementing it. If I put it all in, it'll slow down a lot, but don't put enough in, and it sacrifices compatibility)

Any news? Are you still working on it?

Back