Some more ported emulators

rx_shorty said:
Yep tried to post them here yesterday ;)

Snes works well...
Still didn't check the NeoCD

As being the one who disapproved your post, I apologize for our inconsistency. Traditionally, we haven't maintained any sort of emulator list in a news forum, although the announcement of one being developed or released would be significant in itself. Since the Wiz is just coming out, I suppose you could consider it an en masse release of emulators for the Wiz. Whatever the reasoning, ED has the authority to go over my helmet :D

Still, I suggest creating and maintaining your list in the general discussion forum, as it would get plenty of attention there.

rx_shorty said:
Yep tried to post them here yesterday ;)

Snes works well...
Still didn't check the NeoCD

Hmmm, how did you do that?
SNES9x is slow as hell and PocketSNES always says "Couldn't set DSP Speed".
Any help?

EDIT: Ah, found it. Had to set sound to 22050 :D

Works nice, yep :)

anexanhume said:
Whatever the reasoning, ED has the authority to go over my helmet

finbarr-small.gif

EvilDragon said:
Hmmm, how did you do that?
SNES9x is slow as hell and PocketSNES always says "Couldn't set DSP Speed".
Any help?

EDIT: Ah, found it. Had to set sound to 22050 :D

Works nice, yep :)

Yep true :)
It is a good thing some emu's are already ported before the official release ;)

anexanhume said:
As being the one who disapproved your post, I apologize for our inconsistency. Traditionally, we haven't maintained any sort of emulator list in a news forum, although the announcement of one being developed or released would be significant in itself. Since the Wiz is just coming out, I suppose you could consider it an en masse release of emulators for the Wiz. Whatever the reasoning, ED has the authority to go over my helmet :D

Still, I suggest creating and maintaining your list in the general discussion forum, as it would get plenty of attention there.

Ok no problem, will do that ;)

Yalborap said:
Out of curiosity, are we talking 'good' as in 'equal to the GP2X', or better, or worse, or what?

This is important to me also. After the disappointment-fest that was the GP2X, I'm really hoping the Wiz brings significant speed increases to the table. If it doesn't, then I'm not buying and that's about as simple as it gets.

If it can run Outrun at full speed with no frameskipping and full sound in Mame, I'll be happy. I'll settle for Gpsp running the GBA version of Outrun from the Sega four-pack, again with no frameskip and sound enabled. This will also, of course be with no overclocking from the default speeds.

If it does that, I'm having one.

D.

Dunny said:
Yalborap said:
Out of curiosity, are we talking 'good' as in 'equal to the GP2X', or better, or worse, or what?

This is important to me also. After the disappointment-fest that was the GP2X, I'm really hoping the Wiz brings significant speed increases to the table. If it doesn't, then I'm not buying and that's about as simple as it gets.

If it can run Outrun at full speed with no frameskipping and full sound in Mame, I'll be happy. I'll settle for Gpsp running the GBA version of Outrun from the Sega four-pack, again with no frameskip and sound enabled. This will also, of course be with no overclocking from the default speeds.

If it does that, I'm having one.

D.

For all the fun that mame is, to throw hardware at bad software is certainly NOT the way to go.
There are games that won't run at acceptable speed on mame, but that run full speed on 1/2 the hardware. MAME is great for supporting a gazillion games, but it's got to be the slowest emulator in the world.
I'd like to see someone really take a crack at the version of mame we are all using on the gp2x or the wiz and really try to make some serious changes and optimize it. You could probably get every single game to run full speed on a gp32, let along a wiz (memory being the worst factor).
I do understand your feelings about the "upgrade" though. I was sorely disappointed at the GP2X when compared to the gp32. I just didn't and don't feel that it offered enough to justify the upgrade. It was great for someone who didn't already have a gp32. I hope the wiz doesn't turn out to be the same thing and it looks like it is. It's a great deal for someone who doesn't already have a gp2x, but if you have one you really aren't getting enough to justify the new system. The Wiz would have been an excellent upgrade from the gp32, but not from the gp2x.

Given how little of an upgrade the wiz is, I am hoping that most home-brew software (probably not emulators) is ported to the gp2x. With a 2d homebrew game, I just can't see that most of them will need the extra power of a wiz.

Chris

Pocket SNES works well on the Wiz. Some games I noticed did have some slow down like Mega Man X. But games like Castlevania IV and F-Zero have decent frame rates and Power Rangers runs at 60fps. The maximum processor speed is 400mhz and you will need to set your DSP to 22050. One of the things I did notice was that in order to load your save states, you have to first load the rom you used a save state for.

Oh one more FYI because I stumbled across this in the GP2X file archives. If you want to get back to the main menu for Pocket SNES, you need to press the - and + volume buttons simultaneously. I would have never guessed to do that. So if anyone else is wondering how to get back to the menu screen that is how you do it.

Overall I am pleased with the Wiz port of Pocket SNES. It made the Wiz definitely worth the purchase in my book.

christo930 said:
Given how little of an upgrade the wiz is, I am hoping that most home-brew software (probably not emulators) is ported to the gp2x. With a 2d homebrew game, I just can't see that most of them will need the extra power of a wiz.

Chris

I'm not sure if this means much to you, but any emulator I work on for Wiz will get GP2X releases too, unless I end up using 3D hardware for something like a PS1 emulator, which you're not likely going to see from me.

I'm rather disappointed in myself for not working with gpSP more, the project just really overwhelmed me and I've lost track with exactly what I want to do with it. I do sincerely believe that GBA emulation could perform much better than gpSP on GP2X currently is. Some things can be done to improve the quality of the recompiled code and the video rendering can be made faster with hand optimized assembly, and there were just some things I missed that I didn't really understand until I did Temper. Unfortunately, I don't think a Wiz port of the gpSP currently available for GP2X is going to run as well as people would like it to. Whether or not it runs faster comparatively than the Wiz version of Temper runs over the GP2X version remains to be seen. I have hunches that it might, but we'll have to see from notaz.

Here's to me working on a new GBA emulator one day, with very high compatibility and breakthrough performance.. for both GP2X and Wiz, and other platforms with ARM and MIPS CPUs.

Back