Getto BeagleBoard Case

I snapped some pictures of the computer case I made a year ago for my Beagleboard.

:D

7$ metal box

2 USB cables

1/2 of a glue stick to hold the USB extension cable in place.

rotary tool

hot glue gun

bbcase_closed.jpg

bbcase1.jpg
bbcase2.jpg
bbcase3.jpg

maybe at some point I'll install an LCD screen into the lid.

Originally I bought a toy cash register to put the BB inside but my son started playing with it so I had to find something less attractive to young kids :)

I love stuff like this.

One question, though, is it safe to put a bare board into a metal case like that? Isn't it conductive? :blink:

looks awesome!

I guess if you had a daughter you would have to look for another case as that looks like a jewelry-keep case.

It´s really amazing, makes me feel like owning one too.

What does the usb cable coming straight out of the board on the lower pics do?

You can run the computer with the case shut?

Again, great stuff!

^ Connect to USB devices perhaps? :p

hehe, I mean, can you use it with the lid down?

It would be great to run such a thing closed as it would be perturbing to people passing by! :)

and also, little OT, I have one of those logitech joys, they are great and last forever.

My case is the box it came it :p

Cut some holes for the cords and good to go.

@Prometheus: I recycled little plastic spacers from an old Pentium PC to hold the board away from the metal case with hot-glue to stick the spacers in place. you can see them on the 3rd picture (the one with the handle in front) and the last pic.

@erico: the black USB cable is connected to the OTG port and can power the beagle board, or I can close the lid and connect a 5V power supply thru the hold next to the handle which is usually what I do.

the cool thing with the USB cable is that I can plug that in an HDTV's USB port and have the TV power the beagle board if I forget the external PSU.

the BB runs fine with the case closed, I just have to make sure the cable's end connector shielding doesn't short something out, I still have to find a nice plastic cap for it.

@WizardStan: hehe, that option wasn't cat+toddlerjuicebottle proof enough for me :)

@Prometheus: I recycled little plastic spacers from an old Pentium PC to hold the board away from the metal case with hot-glue to stick the spacers in place. you can see them on the 3rd picture (the one with the handle in front) and the last pic.
Ahh, I see. :D

the BB runs fine with the case closed, I just have to make sure the cable's end connector shielding doesn't short something out, I still have to find a nice plastic cap for it.
Or Sugru? :p

Sugru's a good idea, I forgot about this stuff. I'll have to give it a try, might become addictive.

sugru all over the place! :D

I've been trying to find a good enclosure for my beagleboard.. so far I run it sitting in the box it came with.

Woo! Box buddies! That's all it needs, fancy shmancy cases are distracting. :p

Back