GP32 Getting Started

kneehighspy

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
i've been doing some googling and downloading various materials trying to get some idea of what it's going to take to get started programming on my f200.

i just received my my cradle. my question is connecting the cradle to my pc, via parallel or serial, what type of cable does it take (either parallel or serial), what are the pinouts?

also, is there any ways to connect it (cradle) via usb? i plan on using my alienware m9750 laptop (for convienance) to do most of my programming, and it doesn't have a parallel or serial port. would adding a parallel / serial port expresscard work with the cradle?

also, i mainly code in assembly and haven't really found any info on coding the f200 via assembly, any info regarding assembly on the f200 would be greatly appreciated.

any sites that you guys can recommend to help get started?

thanks for any help, sorry for being a programming noob, but gotta get started somewhere :)

kneehighspy said:
i've been doing some googling and downloading various materials trying to get some idea of what it's going to take to get started programming on my f200.

i just received my my cradle. my question is connecting the cradle to my pc, via parallel or serial, what type of cable does it take (either parallel or serial), what are the pinouts?

also, is there any ways to connect it (cradle) via usb? i plan on using my alienware m9750 laptop (for convienance) to do most of my programming, and it doesn't have a parallel or serial port. would adding a parallel / serial port expresscard work with the cradle?

also, i mainly code in assembly and haven't really found any info on coding the f200 via assembly, any info regarding assembly on the f200 would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for any help, sorry for being a programming noob, but gotta get started somewhere :)
F200 is a crippled to dev, no net chip. You might be able to plug in a USB network adapter though.
You could you a USB to serial adapter, they are pretty cheap should work, no guarantee's though. Be aware you will get a lot of output on the serial from the device and linux booting. It does slow down though.
You only need the parallel you want to use jtag. Ive read you need the actual port for this.
For assembly (you call yourself a programmer noob and you start with assembly? :blink: ) you can of course look up ARM and there may be some snippets of code on the wiki for banging hw direct.

Personally I recommend starting with C and using SDL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
kneehighspy said:

F200 is a crippled to dev, no net chip. You might be able to plug in a USB network adapter though.
You could you a USB to serial adapter, they are pretty cheap should work, no guarantee's though. Be aware you will get a lot of output on the serial from the device and linux booting. It does slow down though.
You only need the parallel you want to use jtag. Ive read you need the actual port for this.
For assembly (you call yourself a programmer noob and you start with assembly? :blink: ) you can of course look up ARM and there may be some snippets of code on the wiki for banging hw direct.

Personally I recommend starting with C and using SDL.

thanks for the info, nah i'm not a programmer noob, i've been programming in assembler for years, but it's been on the 6502/C02 and the 68000, with a little on the PC side. it's not that i'm a noob starting with assembly, it's just that when i did program, assembly is all i used. i coded on the apple 2, c-64 and amiga (intro's and demos for a few scene groups) but it's been a few years. being able to program the hardware directly is the main reason i loved assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gp2x wiki Hardware Docs: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Hardware_Documentation
Nintendo WiFi Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Wi-Fi-US...2581&sr=8-1

The first link here covers all of the hardware documentation you'd need to know, and it's got some assembler specific stuff for ARM. The Gp2x wiki also has some good info on getting started with C and SDL. The second link is a link to the nintendo wifi adapter that works with the wifi package in the file archive. I bought mine for 30 dollars, looks like someone is selling for 18. Anyhow, I think you could achieve what your looking for that way in terms of debugging. Hope this helps.

A few other links that might be helpful:
http://www.trenki.net/content/view/26/47/
The source-codes section of the file archive - http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,46
Some info on debugging cables - http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Getting_started_...ardware_hacking

Back