GP2X Getting Proper Tv-out Resolution With No Scaling At All

Those circles are generated in the scaling from TV to camera photo, but they not were in the TV afaik.
You can check Notaz's photos which were captured directly from screen, right?

I'd suggest to everyone to test the program in their own TV and post feedback here.
Checking for scaling artifacts here is a bit unuseable. I asked for photos because I wanted to see the black borders & overscan ratios, not the scaling artifacts at all :) I'm pretty sure scaling artifacts are gone.

If you want to replace the patterns, img1 is a TGA 24bpp file, and img2 a BMP 24bpp.

Have fun :)

Orkie said:
That's because the new Minimal Library seems to have some binary module included which isn't compiled for Open2x.
Oh yep :(
Including a binary module for each distro is not a good idea :S any other?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just have it as a separate file (the module) from the executable and then give out the source, people can compile the module for whatever kernel they like and just swap it out (or do what Open2x does with mmuhack.o, and have it in /lib/modules so you just have to delete the included module and it will automatically use the correct copy).

Orkie said:
If you just have it as a separate file (the module) from the executable and then give out the source, people can compile the module for whatever kernel they like and just swap it out (or do what Open2x does with mmuhack.o, and have it in /lib/modules so you just have to delete the included module and it will automatically use the correct copy).
mmm...
I don't like any solution that requires more than one file per program
I guess I'll have to do some work & find another solution & test the lib under open2x before a release then :p

Back to the topic, more feedback/photos please?

okay here are the images taken with dscaler :

here are some images (pal only since the program can't handle ntsc properly) from christv :

there are some borders on top and below the images in the pal versions, ntsc looks ok. haven't tried it yet on my very very old television though

Pics above look fine by me. As long as the screen is a proper 320x240 resolution, if there is a small border around the picture and that can't be resolved, it will still be far better than we have now. I am sure in a future release the border will be removed? It will be interesting to see how this looks on a PSone screen (640x480 resolution). Haven't got the time at the moment to rig this up and look, any free time I have at the moment is with my main project.

Good luck rlyeh, looking forward to the release.

rlyeh said:
Thanks for the support guys!

More feedback please?
If I get no feedback soon I'll move to other bits and consider this finished.

Maybe the tv-test app should be in front page to let users submit their feedback.
Still no BoB... >_> I hate the postal strike/backlog etc...

hi

i d/l test app but i see no pictures when running it?

/edit/

sorry
see pictures now (battery was weak!)

rlyeh, you should use this kind of pattern to test your TV-out code:
It will be much easier to dtect any scaling artefacts, and to test colors as well :)

tv-out-scaling.png

http://www.pikilipita.com/forums/tv-out-scaling.png

kouky said:
rlyeh, you should use this kind of pattern to test your TV-out code:
It will be much easier to dtect any scaling artefacts, and to test colors as well :)

you can replace the images shown in test app
just convert the new image to BMP24 and rename it to IMG1, or convert it to TGA then rename it to IMG2
it should work out of the box

peelie said:
hi

see pictures now (battery was weak!)

ah some real TV photos finally :D
thanks!

did you notice any scaling artifact btw?

did you notice any scaling artifact btw?

nothing obvious but to be honest would not recognise a scaling artifact if it hit me on my dense head! sorry!

some pics with kouky's test picture:

It's looking very good!
I can see any artifacts on this picture as well :)

edit:

the aspect ratio looks wrong on the top picture: the circle is ovale.
the picture looks to be slightly pushed on left, but very slightly, maybe it's comes from the TV.

kouky said:
It's looking very good!
I can see any artifacts on this picture as well :)

edit:

the picture looks to be slightly pushed on left, but very slightly, maybe it's comes from the TV.

that would be me pointing the camera downwards towards the tv hence the oval shape! sorry!

kouky said:
pal is a 320x240 image in a 320x288 physical resolution, so it's stretched yes. this has no fix yet.
its not centered yep... but i cant manage to adjust coordinates into screen yet :(

As a variation, I rigged up one of my PSone screens (the screen from my old BigBoy Advance project, I stripped apart for my current project), rigged the screen to batteries and the cables for composite input. Put an S-video > composite cable between the GP2x and the PSone screen, pics below. The PSone screen only takes RBG or composite (not S-video), however there is a mod on BenHeck which makes the PSone screen take S-video, which would give better results than below (close to RGB quality - composite sucks, too red and colours bleed a bit). Also, using a cable to convert S-video to composite would hardly help the picture quality anyway.

I figured that as I am only interested in tv out via a PSone screen (or similar), it made sense to take pics from that - also it is doubtful anyone else has one of these to provide pics (they are hard to get hold of, but essential kit for BenHeck modders!). ;) The PSone screen is 640x480.

(sorry, pic taken at an angle)
n64013.jpg

n64015a.jpg

These were scaled to look ok on the forum, bigger pic below:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc211/b...gp2x/n64015.jpg

Looks fine to me. The PSone screen is PAL incidentally.

When I selected the file to show the pics, showed pic 1 immediately, after a few seconds showed pic 2, then screen went black and white and got lots of horizontal lines (did you make it PAL output first, then NTSC??), then back to the GP2x screen. I presume this is how it was designed?

I like your work, really looking forward to its release.

bacteria said:
When I selected the file to show the pics, showed pic 1 immediately, after a few seconds showed pic 2, then screen went black and white and got lots of horizontal lines (did you make it PAL output first, then NTSC??), then back to the GP2x screen. I presume this is how it was designed?

I like your work, really looking forward to its release.
It's right. That's the planned behaviour.
Thanks for you support :)

More feedback/photos please?

Back