GP2X Getting Proper Tv-out Resolution With No Scaling At All

Is this going to be a patch that fixes the current TV out app, or a new tv out app, or something we have to add to our code?

foft said:
The main area it used was 320x192. There were usually borders at the top, bottom, left and right. But old TVs all differed considerably on how large... So the main area used is 320x240. Outside that it was mostly stuff changing the background colour and very occasionally things used a wider mode.

If I may correct: there where only 239 lines possible. At least with the ANTIC modes I was using 15,14. With the text/charackter modes it wasn't possible as well. At least I have in the back of my head that I only used 29 lines with 8-scanline chars (mode 4??)

SCNR, but I felt I must show off a bit :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for delaying so much (I'm still on holidays).

This solution is not a patch for the gp2x menu.

I've got the right tvout scaling dimensions by adjusting manually the gp2x hardware registers while coding my minimal library. So programs compiled with my new library would have the right settings.

I don't know if tv would work ok when exiting my app and leaving tvout ON. If you are really in a hurry, I could do a tv-out enabler program just to test the new settings work ok with the existing software, although this is not guaranteed to work.

I'll continue answering this threading asap.

rlyeh said:
Sorry for delaying so much (I'm still on holidays).

This solution is not a patch for the gp2x menu.

I've got the right tvout scaling dimensions by adjusting manually the gp2x hardware registers while coding my minimal library. So programs compiled with my new library would have the right settings.

I don't know if tv would work ok when exiting my app and leaving tvout ON. If you are really in a hurry, I could do a tv-out enabler program just to test the new settings work ok with the existing software, although this is not guaranteed to work.

I'll continue answering this threading asap.
We want code!

As A_SN said, if you could post some code to get the scaling correct that'd be great, we may be able to get it to stay on if it doesn't anyway :).

Why not just a basic script(s) that can turn on/off the TV-Out mode (Several scripts with different settings)
PAL, NTSC and whatever video resolutions desired (scaling modes really)

these instead of the menu TV-output options.

How would that interact with other applications?

Also what about flicker? could there be timing changes made to reduce the effect?

rlyeh said:
Back from my first set of holidays.
Answers and source code, this week.
Yeepee! Oh well, I don't have a TV set anyways..

It's somewhat off-topic, but I noticed something funny...
A_SN said:
We want code!

A_SN said:
Yeepee! Oh well, I don't have a TV set anyways..
Anyway... If the hardware registers were changed, then they would stay the same, unless someone, or something, changed them, right? It worked for the color correcting daemon.

This is fantastic news, look forward to the download!

This mod, coupled with the S-video hack for the PSone screen (on BenHeck), rather than composite, will be fantastic! I see my next project unfolding...

Yes, Ryo, please ensure it is fully compatible with your fantastic frontend!

Megatog615 said:
The problem is(for me at least), when I use TV-Out on any of the TVs in my house(all NTSC), they are all cut off at least 10% on the bottom, and by at least 25% on the right side. So I'm losing quite a bit of the image, almost as if it's being scaled too high.
Another problem is the video player plays the video with a huge black border at the left side of the screen.

I'm not sure if this addresses that, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

A_SN said:
Same problem here, same hopes too. Also I get it all in B&W
Wow, I am sure I was spreading around the fact that all TV's do that, and that you should get them properly adjusted. On RCA/GE TV's there is a hidden menu that will allow you to adjust the TV.

It is a fact that the TV is probably what is doing it, you just don't notice on regular video game consoles (Fun fact, the Xbox game Knights of the Old Republic has a bright pink border on its splash screens, how do I know? I have my TV adjusted to properly display the incoming signal.)

Since you guys are geeky enough to be using the GP2X, maybe you would appreciate tuning up your televisions to see what you have been missing all this time on your DVDs, TV shows, and video games.

The real solution of course is to move up to a progressive scan RGB connection, and that means a VGA monitor (Not an LCD monitor, which would introduce its own scaling and kill the result of fixing the output), they are cheap, readily available, you are probably using one now, and they are made to display properly without cutting off the sides of the picture.

@ Rlyeh
Does this mean that your program could set me a VGA or RGB or HDTV mode? 640x480 would be very sweet, or just the regular resolution, but in RGB for proper viewing on external/replacement screens. Progressive scan??

I am assuming you have the Conexant PDF? If not I have a copy.

Would you be able to run a test in X to see if we can get full 640x480 (Or whatever res works best for TV's), that way the GP2X could be a real embedded system with a usable display to match its processing and I/O talents.

I am very excited if this means I can do VGA/RGB/Y/Pr/Pb conversions on the GP2X hardware and have a usable mode set on the Conexant to use it. Please make your test program able to set RGB/VGA modes so I can test them with my hardware hacked console.

Megatog615 said:
The problem is(for me at least), when I use TV-Out on any of the TVs in my house(all NTSC), they are all cut off at least 10% on the bottom, and by at least 25% on the right side. So I'm losing quite a bit of the image, almost as if it's being scaled too high.
Another problem is the video player plays the video with a huge black border at the left side of the screen.

I'm not sure if this addresses that, but I'm keeping my hopes up.
For console development there are UI guidelines to account for this by console manufacturers. For example the Xbox UI guidelines required any UI widget be contained within a smaller box to account for these types of TVs. This way all UI widgets are guaranteed to be visible regardless of the screen.

Take for example Xbox UC2 Screenshot shows how far in the UI was placed so it was visible on the majority of TVs.

Game developers for GP2x should use similar UI design guidelines when developing a game to be used on the TV.

The problem with that is that the GP2X is a portable console first and then a TV-Console.

Developers would need to check which mode the 2X is running, have multiple graphics sets, etc etc. Lots of things to take into consideration.

Back