Gentoo install with hardfloat - SGX driver?

arcangeli

Still Fresh
Hi,

I've made an installation of gentoo with hardfloat support. For now, the system boot correctly and now i'm compiling all needed software directly on the pandora (can't cross compile with dist cc for now).

I may write a tutorial for doing this if needed.

I do not plan to add support for PND.

Is there a hardfloat binary of the SGX driver?

Why i do that:

1/ I like gentoo, it's my main OS since many years.

2/ I've used an Efika Smartbook from genesi some time ago and the hardfloat version of ubuntu was really faster than the softfloat (softfp?) one.

3/ It's fun :)

4/ I'm using many console/text app like mutt and none of them was available in OE or Angstrom. I need to compile them myself and make some ipk.

5/ It's really funny ;)

Thats the main problem, why nobody uses hardfloat: I think there is no 3d binary blob with hardfloat for the sgx :(

Take a look at this.

http://e2e.ti.com/su...4/t/207593.aspx

http://elinux.org/Be...eo_Acceleration

In 2-3 weeks I can maybe give you an update about my progress. I think I'll start to burn in (setup gentoo on) my GHz unit next weekend.

I'm not sure atm but wasn't there some other ugly closed binary blob ?D-Pad? ?Nubs?

Edit:

Hmm no can't find somethin about other binary on pandora kernel wiki and if there is some other blob my good old "Oh noes another week for recompiling my system" reflex will fix it anyway (someday) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading this makes me excited. =D

But I'm short on time right now, so I'll be watching your progress and also comment my personal plans on this topic (probably tomorrow).

Awesome, I built all also with hardfp. Also tested kde 4.9: too slow. I am using qemu-user to build everything, so I can just swap the sd, chroot and use the pandora gentoo on my pc. I think it will be a good idea to build some gentoo image with everything working out of the box so others can use it.

About the nubs, you just need to map them to the mouse in xorg. TS also needs some calibration. BTW what is the module name of the wifi? I allways use teethering from my phone and I have still not configured the pandora wifi because of this.

wl1251

wl1251_sdio

Should be ok to sniff into gentoo. Updating packages (except pnd) could be a pain if the image gets old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really great news! My upgraded to 1GHz pandora is in the way. I'll try this soon.

The only thing that refuse to compile (with distcc) is FF 14. This one crash LD...

For the desktop, i'm using only Awesome WM with many terminal app. It is really fast, almost with the omapfb driver.

Back