Gentoo at Pandora - anybody interested?

Hi arcangeli

Have fun with your 1Ghz pandora! I wish I could afford one too :rolleyes: .

Thanks in advance for all your efforts! If the nubs work as input device, that would be very nice. I see the touchscreen then more as a bonus. I am used to the IBM Trackpoint and I assume a nub would do the same job, maybe even better.

Hey guys, any progress with Gentoo ? Because of the philosophy behind Gentoo it would be great to have it on Pandora as well on top of the other distros. 

The only problem is for compiling FF 14. It need more memory
Can you make a swap disk to allow for more memory during compilation? That's what is required sometimes. 

Unfortunately we didn't hear anything from the neuvoo guys for quite some time.

Hope this project is not completely dead.

This weekend I decided to make my third attempt at installing Gentoo, and this time I got the X server to start. Yay!

I sort of cheated though, by mostly using prebuilt generic armv7a packages from tinderbox :p

Now that I'm on the train back from work, I guess I should explain what I have so far:

• I've finally managed to build Firefox 28, which means I can use Gentoo on my commute. This should get things rolling!
  • I got suspend to work using pm-utils. Now I just need to figure out pndevmapperd to bind the power key.
  • Keyboard works correctly in both console and X11.
  • All the packages were rebuilt for Cortex-A8 (softfp), mostly Gentoo arm stable (About 300 total. Most are libs and build dependencies, though.)
  • Razor-qt 0.5.2 desktop (I intend to have Xfce4 available as well)
  • Some development tools: QtCreator 2.8.1, gdb 7.6.2, Valgrind 3.9.0, gcc 4.7.3, and obviously all the other utils needed to build everything so far.
My current short-term plan is to:

• Get the power key working to get it to a somewhat usable state
  • Create some ebuilds for pandora-specific stuff and a script to set up the needed configuration
  • Use that to create a clean image.
  • Once done, I'll publish the root tarball and the packages I built so far. I expect that to be ready in about Two Weeks :)

Good news: it's finished!

Now I'm just waiting for EvilDragon to respond if he could provide me some web space :)

Back