Genesis Emulation Reached Its Peak?

Bah... I've never gone and got pissed with anyone from this scene :angry:

ZJ, if you feel the urge to pop over to Christchurch NZ, give me a yell!

Anyway, DrZ80 uses between about 6 and 20 instructions per emulated Z80 instruction. The instructions on the real Z80 took between 3 and 12 or so cycles. So emulating the 3.8MHz Z80 should take between 5 and 10 ARM MHz. It's not too bad :)

However, DrZ80 is fast because it cuts corners, and it's the cut corners that are causing it not to work with fGen32 at the moment. As we add extra stuff to Z80 to make it work, we are unavoidably making it slower.

Still, it will be less than 20MHz, so the effect shouldn't be tooooo noticeable.

Robster: I'll almost certainly be on the south island around xmas time (for a short holiday) - so I'll give you a shout for a booze up.

Axeman: Man I miss the good ole drunken newport piss ups - I'll give you a shout next time I'm back :)

ZardozJones posted on Jul 16 2004 at 05:17 AM said:
Robster: I'll almost certainly be on the south island around xmas time (for a short holiday) - so I'll give you a shout for a booze up.

Axeman: Man I miss the good ole drunken newport piss ups - I'll give you a shout next time I'm back :)
Dang.. ZJ ;) You never then showed up here even if you were soooo close :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Spiv: I'm really sorry, but didn't have time to catch that damn seacat - I'm really gutted about that - but I'm sure next time I'm in se (coz it's soo hot here in oz - I guess my summer hols will be in se) i'll pop over to booze with ya!! ;)

Robster posted on Jul 15 2004 at 10:02 PM said:
Anyway, DrZ80 uses between about 6 and 20 instructions per emulated Z80 instruction. The instructions on the real Z80 took between 3 and 12 or so cycles. So emulating the 3.8MHz Z80 should take between 5 and 10 ARM MHz. It's not too bad :)

However, DrZ80 is fast because it cuts corners, and it's the cut corners that are causing it not to work with fGen32 at the moment. As we add extra stuff to Z80 to make it work, we are unavoidably making it slower.

Wow, if so that is very impressive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back