General Tasks

Hmmm…

I was more thinking about a kind of fancy widget screen application.
weather, rss, todolist. mail checking, note…

A home screen ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
benjymous said:
lulzfish said:
Caine said:
Troydude6, the program you are looking for is called EMACS.
Only if it has a good text editor built-in

I do hope that was irony ;)

Well, if it wasn't, let's educate him: Yes, EMACS has SciTE built in, just go C-x C-m "scite" and you're in ;)

EMACS is a pretty good operating system text editor, but I don't use it as much as I'd want to.

lulzfish said:
I am secure in my manliness.... I use nano and I am not afraid to admit it!
Although I prefer SciTE if there's an X server handy.
Oh, it comes to preferences does it... I prefer Kate over anything really. There's no editor that I know of that has so many features while still being easy to use. Heck, it's got the functionality of a C++ IDE built-in :p Not to mention syntax highlighting for almost every language out there... I pity you non-KDE-users, you are really missing something!

'lulzfish' said:
kids these days..

the only true answer ™ is vi - god's own editor.
ans that's regardless of any pesky WM environments.

'dflemstr' said:
'lulzfish' said:
Oh, it comes to preferences does it... I prefer Kate over anything really. There's no editor that I know of that has so many features while still being easy to use. Heck, it's got the functionality of a C++ IDE built-in :p Not to mention syntax highlighting for almost every language out there... I pity you non-KDE-users, you are really missing something!I can vouch for that. Excellent editor.

darkblu said:
kids these days..

Nah, vi sucks (no offense but it's just counterproductive to stick with vi, it's like using ed). VIM on the other hand is an excellent editor, I use it as often as I use Kate; it's just so much faster than anything out there.

'dflemstr' said:
'darkblu' said:
kids these days..
Nah, vi sucks (no offense but it's just counterproductive to stick with vi, it's like using ed). VIM on the other hand is an excellent editor, I use it as often as I use Kate; it's just so much faster than anything out there.Yep, great workhorse. Kate getting vi emulation mode was a very interesting development.

'dflemstr' said:
'darkblu' said:
kids these days..

the only true answer™ is vi - god's own editor.
Nah, vi sucks (no offense but it's just counterproductive to stick with vi, it's like using ed). VIM on the other hand is an excellent editor, I use it as often as I use Kate; it's just so much faster than anything out there.

while i agree with you about vim being better than vi, the original phrase is vi - god's own editor, not vim - god's own editor, so your statement is phraseologically false as god's own editor cannot suck, by definition.

darkblu said:
'dflemstr' said:
'darkblu' said:
kids these days..

the only true answer™ is vi - god's own editor.

while i agree with you about vim being better than vi, the original phrase is vi - god's own editor, not vim - god's own editor, so your statement is phraseologically false as god's own editor cannot suck, by definition.
monotheistic Judaic god may use vi, but Shiva uses Emacs

'hobbyman II' said:
Most torrent clients I know of write to disk far too often

In my experience when appending or overwriting files, FAT32 tends to favour in-order allocation of clusters. Also, if it doesn't have to move something... why move it?

Indeed, the bane of SD cards is log files, which might be written to the same spot over and over, so long as the size doesn't change dramatically.

I don't have any knowledge about vfat or how Linux handles all this, but I know FAT32 on Windows isn't doing any of that wear levelling you say it should. ;) The first part of the SD card will probably wear out long before the last parts, which means your card is either going to drop in capacity or be rendered useless well before it should.

Alright well this topic needs more use now that I have answers.

TOPIC: Transmission for Pandora?

Back