GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

You have big plans justin. I like it. Hope the atari thing works out.
Im watching with interest as to your next possible console.

If the GCW goes well and Craig doesn't want to do another Pandora and if hes ok with the following , then I wouldn't mind seeing ED and crew team up with Justin to develop and push out a Pandora 2 via Kickstarter.  Maybe this is crazy talk, but it's a thought

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, legit C64 and amiga that will be great...

what would that mean for a end user, will that be something we will need to buy from you? or part of the gcw delivery as a closed source emulator? or completely released for free for anyone on any material and emulator?

@elwing The emulator will be fully open source and downloadable from the site for free as for the bios it will not be free a price has not been set yet.

By paying for the bios it will make the bios legal to be used with any emulator.  It will be on the same page as the emulator along with instructions on how to install the bios.

We will also have some free games for download and the others will require payment to download them. I would list prices but that has not been given to me yet as to what pricing will be for the bios or per game.

@Pickle Thanks for the correction and yes the bios and roms will be DRM free so you can use them on more than one device and more than one specific emulator.

@elwing The emulator will be fully open source and downloadable from the site for free as for the bios it will not be free a price has not been set yet.

By paying for the bios you will make the emulator legal it will be on the same page as the emulator along with instructions on how to install the bios.

We will also have some free games for download and the others will require payment to download them. I would list prices but that has not been given to me yet as to what pricing will be for the bios or per game.
I dont think you said it quite right, the emulator in it self is always legal. For instance I can run a emulator with either HLE or the BIOS. HLE  method is always a legal use of the emulator (no copyrighted data), but I have to own a license to use the BIOS.

So using it with this bios without paying for it would not be a legal *use*.

One thing I really hope is that the bios and roms are drm free and can be used interchangeably between any emulator or device.

Just for fun. From the now defunct Reset Atari fundable page:

"...responsive dual analog controls, responsive dpad, four shoulder buttons. Six actual control buttons. (This will be a console in the future 2015 or later with compareable hardware to that time period.)"

ldQNdzM.png

not sure on the reason, I guess it's parly because of gcw realised that it won't suffice to buy atari assets, it make him look like a scamer and there's lot of concern about him working on things like that rather than sending the GCW... and finally also the fact that it was visibly not make it to it's goal...

Will there be a download section for this handheld at www.gp32x.de? Would love all sorts of emulators to be on this device.

Back