GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

personally I thought comms from GCW are pretty good and regular.

I'm ok waiting for whatever has to be done tweaking the software... patience has been mastered here.

The slick looking GCW Zero glass is a nice gift though.

...wonder if it will be the pint glass or one of the others, that pic posted had a few styles eh
It's a nice gesture on the part of gcw but worldwide shipping of 150 individual glasses isn't cheap. I'm sure he'll offer the glass free but whoever wants it will have to pay the shipping.

Mailing of the glasses will not be cheap but on other hand just trying to do what is right and apolofize and show I mean it ;)

Currently I've approved them to continue with repairs on all the units this was done about 3 1/2 weeks ago about 90 total have been hand repaired and we should hit the mark of a total of 150 by Tuesday so I hope to have them QA'ed and on a flight via DHL by Tuesday barring any complications with the QA.

So my estimate mind you just an estimate is recieve by November 15th and ship them worst case scenario would be shipping completed by December 1st, 2012. I really hate making estimates as I'm not on the factory floor making things run smooth. The person I have there is very reliable but lets be honest everyone has there own style and I know he is busting his butt and trying his hardest.

If I was there everyone would hate me with a passion because my passion is making the console a reality and I would let nothing get in the way of quality and production.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mailing of the glasses will not be cheap but on other hand just trying to do what is right and apolofize and show I mean it ;)
If your able to deliver all 150 preorder units to your customers by the end of December it probably won't be necessary at all. All your customers will be more than satisfied enough that I doubt any of them will call you up on your generous offer of apology but then the glasses are kinda cool so you may never know.

If your able to deliver all 150 preorder units to your customers by the end of December it probably won't be necessary at all. All your customers will be more than satisfied...
I say this as a casual bystander, as I didn't pre-order, but there are some customers posting in the Dingoonity forum who are far from satisfied. Toys have been thrown out of a few prams because of the delays, and there were some demands for refunds despite the fact that the consoles are just about to ship! Some people really need to calm down and realise what a mammoth undertaking this is.

^^^^So true. Looking for refunds is absurd. The nature of open source projects should be obvious to them now. Some people sheesh.

Nice :)

All the best wishes to get things running smoothly now.

I've got 100 normal and 7 special editions preordered for my shop :)

Would be awesome to get them just in time for christmas :)

does it have task-switching?

(change running app without losing the state of each app)

Nice
smile.png

All the best wishes to get things running smoothly now.

I've got 100 normal and 7 special editions preordered for my shop
smile.png

Would be awesome to get them just in time for christmas
smile.png

Dragon when are you adding the gcw to your file archive? checking each day for it.

Currently in OpenDingux only one application can use the framebuffer (display things on the screen) at once. There can be as many background applications (daemons) as you like though.

What would you want to use task switching for? It's not on our roadmap at the moment, but if there are compelling uses cases for it we could consider it.

Task Switching... playing music in the background, use psp maps for navigating.

Have email checks in the background or icq, play games. If you get a mail you get a sound like in android. Or listen to music during surfing the interwebz!

Currently in OpenDingux only one application can use the framebuffer (display things on the screen) at once. There can be as many background applications (daemons) as you like though.

What would you want to use task switching for? It's not on our roadmap at the moment, but if there are compelling uses cases for it we could consider it.

Personally I would use it to:

read manuals/walkthroughs while playing a game

get copy-protection words from a manual to start a game (old DOS games do this)

take notes on a game

make a map of a dungeon

switching from an emulator to a text editor and back would be useful

They dont have to be on the screen at the same time, that would be multitasking,

Im just after task-switching.

Also what would be the chances of having DosBox?

Update Update Update

I wasn't happen with the protective bezel on the front that protects the LCD screen so I had new ones made of HP92 it is a high impact and scratch resistant plastic from a local plastics company. Also the board was just plain black we added the logo on the bottom black border. The screens get delivered tomorrow then off to printers to add logo and border to be delivered on Tuesday to be put in the consoles.

Biggest reason for the replacement was the screens were scratch prone.

Update Update Update

I wasn't happen with the protective bezel on the front that protects the LCD screen so I had new ones made of HP92 it is a high impact and scratch resistant plastic from a local plastics company. Also the board was just plain black we added the logo on the bottom black border. The screens get delivered tomorrow then off to printers to add logo and border to be delivered on Tuesday to be put in the consoles.

Biggest reason for the replacement was the screens were scratch prone.
Thank you for the update Justin.

Will your shop also be selling accessories, like a protective sleeve or carry case, for the Zero?

Pic of GCW-Zero with a pet

x0wfb4.jpg

Now for the cool stuff box full of bezel screen protectors on there way to the printers to have border and logo put on them and it will be a basic logo.

9bf7zo.jpg

Back