GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

It has front page just displays differently on mobile phones....

More pics up in sneak peek section for you too oggle and google and get your fix ;)

It has front page just displays differently on mobile phones....

More pics up in sneak peek section for you too oggle and google and get your fix ;)

(Guess who's been F5-ing on the page?)

Thanks for the great pics. I noticed that there's a micro-sd card in there. Is that the internal storage?

Does that mean that one can technically add more internally ourselves by replacing this card?

:D

Could just be for the prototype? Bit of a cheap and nasty to use an SD card instead of NAND. Still, it has its advantages I guess.

Saw the pics, really nice. :)

Time for a new video?

I believe touch screen is now out of the question?

Reason for that question is that on the caanoo, the bevel around the screen kills part of its touchness as the pen can not reach extreme corners, worse, same corners are also a bit cut off on its core by the same bevel. I guess for devs is no problem as it is easy to go around, but for ports, it is bad.

I´m not sure if such (no screen bevel) is possible for a touch screen.

EDIT: heck I can´t access the site normally, only by proxy or another DNS. It seems like the fu**ing stupid brazilian´s ISPs don´t like it. Everybody else seems to connect to it ok right?

Last edited by a moderator:
but for ports, it is bad.

how that? what kind of ports?

with the screen resolution PC ports are almost out of question, except maybe fo the novelity aspect... dingoo has no touchscreen and we'll prolly reuse lots of the software from the dingoo.

and for console, they don't use a touchscreen until the DS and since this console as only 1 screen anyway... even on the pandora where we have a touchscreen, DS is out of question as we have not found a good solution for the second screen...

even if a touchscreen would only add 15$ I surely would take the touchscreen less version

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your point.

Try grafx2 port to the caanoo. It is really great, but your stylus can´t reach the absolute corners where you have 6 pixels pallet buttons on the far right.

There are other buttons hard to access because the original app did not count the beveled lost pixels, neither the pixels lost by the format of the stylus against the bevel.

Another example that suffers from the same is the Milkytracker port.

Those 2 are PC apps port running great on the caanoo(320x240), the problems I stated are, somehow, easy to go around if you use them a lot, but they do annoy and take time, not good for a brand new user I guess.

As for touch screen on the DS or whatever use there is, I know nothing.

Only thing I know is that the touch control seems to be an a lot more important input on every nowaday´s gadgets.

Wether we use it or not, it is up to our own needs on our gadgets.

I do use both apps I stated a lot on my handheld, it is important for me and is one of the reasons I got to it in the first place.

Down on the emu side of things, point and click adventures suffers a little too of the same problem, some ´exits´ are simply not reachable that way and I have to do a little push on the joy to help it out. Like I said, problems are easy to go around if you are a persistent user.

I guess gcw zero is made to make general people happy, not only the persistent (crazy) ones :)

So, if there will ever be a touch screen, I´d hope they keep these things in mind, as they state my solo experiences with it.

there was a scummvm port for the dingoo, and it used a virtual mouse, which could be moved with the d-pad. It was very easy to use.

So i think we will also be able to enjoy point and click adventures without any touchscreen.

for lots of application requiring a mouse the touchscreen is a bad substitute... think fps. the nub or an external mouse on the OTG makes more sense if you really want that

Personally speaking, the touchscreen is useless on a device like this. Actually, it would be kind of a disappointment to be honest. Touchscreens have their place, and this isn't it. They are fine on iPhone/iPad/iPod/android but those devices don't have a d-pad, analog stick, shoulder buttons and all that. When I play games, most of which are retro, obviously since they don't really make that many snes games anymore haha, I don't remember as a kid touching the tv to make things happen in the game, I played with the buttons on the control. Sure the DS had a touchscreen, but 99% of the time you were playing with buttons and d-pad. Some android phones (Xperia play) have game-style controls, but c'mon, it's a good attempt, but it's still android, and after a lot of exposure, android sucks (I am a mobile dev so I get to test with a loooot of devices, and all android devices I've used are choppy and shitty compared to others)

Keep up the good work GCW, keep the touchscreens out of the device, and keep us in the loop!

There's one thing a touchscreen can potentially be used for in retro gaming: light guns. Probably not worth it for the Zero, though.

quite right, trough I suppose dificulty would be quite wrong using a touchscreen instead of a lightgun... it'll prolly be too easy...

thx prometheus :)

Adventures can go ok on the pad, It will be harder to play something like Settlers or Operation Wolf and impossible to play Cannon fodder.

Those are few examples that comes to mind now. But you could always attach an USB mouse right (wireless too)?

Back on the touch, everyone has a different experience, it really depends on one´s use of it.

How about slapping a 32gb internally and 32 externally in the slot 64gb overkill

It seems quite possible according to the pictures of the main board.

Looks like there are a mini sd and an sd slot going out.

How about slapping a 32gb internally and 32 externally in the slot 64gb overkill

wonder what format the rootfs is in? That or making an additional partition on the card alongside the OS shouldn't be too hard to figure out for multiple cards. Seeing how there is going to be a 4gb and 16gb version, they must already have a plan for all that white space, extending it I can't imagine it to be too difficult.

I seen it asked before but to ask agian, is SDXC supported? 64Gb x 2 = :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back