GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

I'm a bit burned by preorder... but if this turn out to be as good as anounced I'll prolly get one if I have not received my pandora

Forgive my laziness but I can't be arsed to hunt through 24 pages, what is the final spec of this machine?

Below you will find specs and detailed pictures of the device.

CPU: Ingenic Jz4770 1GHz Processor

GPU: 496MHz Vivante GC860 1080p video decoding and OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1

DISPLAY: 3.5"LCD 4:3(320X240 pixels)

Memory: DDR2 256MB

Internal Storage: 4GB

External storage: via micro SD Up to 32GB

Mini USB 2.0 OTG

Mini HDMI 1.3 Out

3.5mm earphone/mic/Stereo Speakers

G-Sensor/VibroShock

Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g and Wireless Multiplayer

Media & Entertainment

Video: MPEG4/H.264/H.263/MPEG2/MPEG4/WMV/FLV/3GP/AVI/MKV/MOV/VOB/RMVB

Audio: Mp3/Wav/Wma/Flac/Ogg/M4a/Acc

Emulation: PS1/CPS1/CPS2/NEOGEO/GBA/SFC/MD/FC/GBC/SMS/GG/GB

EBook: txt/epub/html/pdf/doc

Basic Parameters:

Dimensions: 143*70*18mm

Weight: 8oz

Battery: 2800mAh

Languages: English/Russian/Japanese/Spanish

Now for the way important stuff videos of the GCW-Zero In Action:

First Demo Of GCW-Zero

Sound Lag on Android Consoles Compared to GCW-Zero

SNES Game Play on GCW-Zero

GBA Game Play on GCW-Zero

Click buy now below to make a partial payment for the GCW Zero Special Edition 512MB Gaming Console which will be limited to only 100. The tentative release for the console is Mid July to Early August 2012. Final Cost for GCW Zero Special Edition $110.00 to $120.00.

Upped the incentive on special editions 512MB Ram 16GB Internal Storage and sneak peek section exclusively for the people who get the GCW-Zero Special Edition. Status of orders so far for the GCW-Zero Special Edition 20 out of 100 come on people get yours while they are still available this is a one time thing the standard model will be 256MB and 4GB.

I can't provide incentive more then that for the special edition other then 10 of the lucky 100 will get signatures of all the development team on their console along with mention of there support for this console in the documentation or the about screen that has not been determined as of yet and all supports will get mention and gratitude on a special page on the website.

Two weeks before release you will be mailed a receipt for payment of the final payment to receive your Special Edition Console. If not shipped three weeks after final payment you will receive a full refund of monies you have paid.

http://game-consoles-worldwide.blogspot.com.au/

Thank you

The screen resolution is a deal breaker for me, I'm a retro gamer and stuff like Paperboy, 720 Degrees or Roadblasters just wouldn't look good scaled down.

I prefer integer scaling and would rather have a border to get the right aspect ratio but losing pixels for me is not an option.

There is a reason for having a 320x240 screen.

But you may have to read through some pages to be aware of the reasons behind that choice (the discussion about the screen begins in page 7, and there is also a thread about this console in Dingoonity boards).

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's probally not needed, but if the pre-order money is used for the inital order and you're having a hard time comming up with last couple pre-orders... have you looked into kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics#WhatIsKick

I did the pre-order to show my support (and I wanted one of the special editions) more incentives based off contribution amount to the project might be better for ya? I think I would have thrown more than $65 in support of this.

If you're looking to start shipping in the next 1-2 months it may be too late... but I think it would be a good way to get the word out there.

Replacing the current design with a new screen would probably be pretty expensive. 640x480 LCDs are uncommon these days and not cheap (and you'd have to get something in the same dimensions, good luck with that). Anything else would require a different aspect ratio and guaranteed different case.

Maybe the only option is a touchscreen version of the current screen then or else it just stays as is.

320x240 makes it highly unusable with things like dosbox and such but for all home console that were using a TV that's not bad...

at least if they are able to produce this thing and it looks at least half as good as it seems I'll prolly cancel here and get that instead...

GCW has a new game handheld called the zero

It's smart, it's powerful, it's the new gaming hero.

Preorder one now and your get upgraded specs

It's full of surprises the best hardware and techs.

It's generally aimed at the reto gamer in mind

But is open to the whole wide world to find.

With 512mb ram and 1ghz CPU roaring like a BMW

Be prepared to be blown away I give you the GCW.

Its smart, it's powerfull, it's the new gaming hero.

With 512mb ram and 1ghz CPU roaring like BMW

I don't know who wrote this or where it was written, but it needs some serious editing. No offense.

mature_african-colombian_woman_clapping_she_is_xi4-800040.jpg

No offence taken I wrote it and it was written here if its spelling my spelling is shit sorry if it's grammar my grammar is shit too.

Its smart, it's powerfull, it's the new gaming hero.

With 512mb ram and 1ghz CPU roaring like BMW

bad-poetry.gif

I like the device as it stands because it looks like what the real successor to the great GP2X should have been, in terms of power, proper d-pad and about the same size with a 320x240 3.5" screen

As said I see the potential and it is fine for homeconsoles, but with the other high specs, at least 640x480 screen would be good to play scumm vm and dosbox games. You should be able to scale other resolutions with almost no performance impact to fullscreen as it is possible with the Pandora. But it was also clearly said, that a higher res screen is not sourceable and has high price. Well still its kind of a dealbreaker imho.

I know it's probally not needed, but if the pre-order money is used for the inital order and you're having a hard time comming up with last couple pre-orders... have you looked into kickstarter?

http://www.kickstart...sics#WhatIsKick

I did the pre-order to show my support (and I wanted one of the special editions) more incentives based off contribution amount to the project might be better for ya? I think I would have thrown more than $65 in support of this.

If you're looking to start shipping in the next 1-2 months it may be too late... but I think it would be a good way to get the word out there.

I agree with you totally but I don't have expertise to have a professional or good enough video shot for the video segment if I did I would definately do kickstart and also contact supplier of screen and see if they could get me a 640x480 or 800x600 screen that matches our specs and size of the current screen we have as long as cost was feasible.

Current count is 66 of 100 sold a couple of the payments are under review by paypal so not sure what that means if they are approved we will be at 70 of 100.

http://www.kickstart...sics#WhatIsKick

I agree with you totally but I don't have expertise to have a professional or good enough video shot for the video segment if I did I would definately do kickstart and also contact supplier of screen and see if they could get me a 640x480 or 800x600 screen that matches our specs and size of the current screen we have
Id be game to support a kickstarter campaign.Can you get the loan of a camera from someone and some help with producing it?

@gcw

Is the problem pitching the device? I think I could script something out for you to say and you can fill in the missing info for each point of interest.

If the issue is camera presence? you could get a spokes person or ask a community member to do a scripted q&a. Not to volunteer the work of someone else but qbertaddict seems to do pretty well on camera. Perhaps you can talk him into making a video presentation. I'd be willing to help as well if you wanted.

Or is the issue video production? I've seen some pretty snazzy video editors on this forum I bet someone with those skills would gladly volenteer their service for such a cause.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Back