GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

80% seems much too high even with poor handling... I'm wondering if it's not a case of fake chips... like seen there: http://www.sparkfun.com/news/364
Except 20% did work - so they must be fundamentally the right chip

maybe these were made with an imperfect/prototype die

or with really sucky machinery

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, but I was meaning a mix of good part, fake, slog defect or other kind of goodies...

The question was asked if source code will be available from our emulators and

apps etc from the GCW-Zero yes if we developed it this is an open spurce console.

I think not providing the source code would go completely against the concept and

purpose of being open source so infactly the answer is YES YES YES !!!

As for if someone not from our team develops something I can't control whether it will

be open source.

You mean you won't illegally violate the licenses of the software you're using? What a great FAQ Q&A :rolleyes:

Or do you mean to imply that you guys are actually writing your own emulator code?

Well, except for the later batches from CC (where the boards became flakey because they oxidized), I have yet to see a single Pandora PCB that had issues after a while of usage.
There were some that had issues from the very beginning which haven't been tested (i.e. charging issues), but the ones that worked never came back.

The only PCBs I got back was nubs and LCD Cables, no suddenly non-working PCBs.

(Well, as said, except for later CC batches with bad contacts).

Does it really matter if Pandora's failures were due to nubs and LCD cables instead of the PCBs? You have the luxury of knowing more details and circumstances for its problems than Dingoo's..

I don't know about what JXD used where, but I've spoken to different companies here and their experience, and I also had some experiences with Chinese companies already... over 10% of the Dingoos failed within 2 months when I shipped them.
Quite a few assembly houses told me they had a WAY higher failure rate when getting SoCs from China, regardless which SoCs.

This doesn't necessarily have something to do with the production company - often there are clones or refurbished version sold "as new", and these cause issues.

So you don't know what exactly you will get.

I thought it was 25%?

The kind of thinking "we've had bad experience with stuff from China, it sucks" is dangerous. Even if that may have been true at large at some point things change and improve. For instance maybe several years ago you could say that cars coming out of South Korea were on average inferior, now you'd be foolish to instantly dismiss a Hyundai over a Honda based on brand or country of origin.

Anyway, I think we've gotten way off base here. This isn't about Pandora or a console you're making. This is about manufacturing of a new console, with unknown investment and volume targets, and like it or not it's going to be made in China with Chinese parts. It should be dead obvious to you that if they can make a viable $100 handheld using Chinese parts (and yes, something like Dingoo was certainly viable even with the failure you cite) then they can make a viable one at $200-300 with much better Chinese parts. A much better SoC (like the Rockchip one), a fair amount of DDR3 RAM (or better, LVDDR3 if they can, there's a big power saving benefit over DDR2 with either), a decent 800x480 display, dual analog sticks that aren't recycled PSP nubs, capacitive touchscreen, motion controls, Android compatibility - things like this. And an ARM SoC that can run Pandora stuff out of the box would be nice, because while some good strides have been made with Dingux software it's still behind what we get here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting them to do this instead of what they're doing. I'm asking if they have any interest at all in pursuing this, or if such a thing is even possible given their manufacturing relationships. At the very least, if you stick with a 320x240 non-touch screen even the hardware it already has is unbalanced, like the 3D capabilities and all that RAM.

We will honor licenses of the software and gpl and will release all source code we have developed. We will also make requests from developers if we plan to use there source and modify it. This is open source we don't plan to be a Dingoo Digital or Dingoo-Tech we will be completely open source for anything we develop software wise.

We will honor licenses of the software and gpl and will release all source code we have developed. We will also make requests from developers if we plan to use there source and modify it. This is open source we don't plan to be a Dingoo Digital or Dingoo-Tech we will be completely open source for anything we develop software wise.

Well of course it's good that you plan on following the licenses you're required to as opposed to the many companies that have not. I just think it's kind of depressing that this market has made such a thing a promotional point instead of a given.

On the other hand it's great to hear that you will be seeking cooperation with the original developers instead of the usual "you made it GPL, who cares what you think about what I do with it" mentality ;) Kudos.

This device looks interesting and could be the needed successor to the budget device (since GPH has become defunct)

Disappointed with the screen size being 320x240, really once you experience 640x480 or higher you dont want to go back. This also limits the amount of software that could be run. Which I dont think anything over 256 mb will be of much use (but maybe the cost isnt that different). Personally Id rather see the larger screen than wifi/memory/storage improvements.

GCW: is there any interest in having software development done to show the off the GPU? Seems like most demos are older existing emulation. If you would like to see more modern running something like quake1/2 I could assist.

I like the idea of being able to do more with something I own (who wouldn't)

however... how often do you get a handheld company to say.... "this is designed specifically as a pocket game console emulator."

Every time I try to tag the pandora as that, people are quick to chime in as it's more than just that.

but this isn't trying to be anything more than a pocket emulator... and I think that's just great. It's focused on the only thing I personally care about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poll results show that people are definitely more keen on a higher res screen option vs touchscreen option and vs the cheaper "do nothing" option.

6KM3q.png

I said before I don't mind paying abit more to get the 640x 480 higher res screen into the device and I am sure others will agree with me and ias you can see thats been reflected on the majority of votes so what's stopping it from happening?

Well, at different stages people were more vocal about going the cheapest route or for the touchscreen. It appears the silent majority favour the higher res 640x480 screen and a slightly higher price tag.

I guess it all depends on the reality of the people pulling it out.

High res is always good of course, why not full HD?

But high res against the touch input issue for me is not quite a good idea on the extra things other then emulators.

And emulators, including Old adventures can benefit from that. But not only that, can we play cannon fodder with a joystick?

There are several old system games that can benefit, like populous, settlers, powermonger, and many others.

The touch input is important nowadays, everything is touch, so the device can bridge to it?

That is just my call anyways. I do understand other opinions and the price issue.

I guess it all depends on the reality of the people pulling it out.

High res is always good of course, why not full HD?

But high res against the touch input issue for me is not quite a good idea on the extra things other then emulators.

And emulators, including Old adventures can benefit from that. But not only that, can we play cannon fodder with a joystick?

There are several old system games that can benefit, like populous, settlers, powermonger, and many others.

The touch input is important nowadays, everything is touch, so the device can bridge to it?

That is just my call anyways. I do understand other opinions and the price issue.
Id like a capacitive touch screen on it at least.Higher res would be nice too.Id gladly pay more.

thats been reflected on the majority of votes so what's stopping it from happening?

Price, availability, extra work (they would have to redo the PCBs, throw away the ones that have already been produced, and probably rewrite code for all the emulators for supporting the new screen) and possibly worse performance (4 times more pixels will probably lower the fps, especially for 3D games). Battery life will be worse, as the screen will probably eat more battery, and the screen quality would not be as good as the current one (unless you make the device noticeably more expensive).

Well, that is my personal opinion.

Back