Gbax2004 Vs Tomak Compo 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just pathethic.

Who cares if they copied word for the word the contest rules. So what?

How is GBAX2004 being affected negatively by this?

If it were an article or a review that was copied and not given credit to the original author then I would agree with making a big fuzz about it. But this is a stinking list of rules.

You cannot copyright individual competition rules! Read up on your law!

You know what will effect the GBAx compo? This whole pathetic "they copied my rules" crap. If I ever had any intention of entering a GBAx compo now or in the future, this pathetic display just convinced me not to, and I hope it convinced others as well. I would never show my support for anyone who would make such a complaint.

ok read this :

the first mail of guyfawkes :
"
I am asking you to remove the rules from your page as these are blatently copied without my (GP32Emu.com) or GBAX.com permission to use them. All text on the site is copyrighted and may not be used without permission or credit. Failure to remove these rules will result in a written letter to your website hosts detailing the copyright violations."

and the second mail :

"If these rules wording are not changed I will take this has a non-compliance of my request and be forced to contact your website host for further action. You cannot copyright something that is already copyrighted by someone else."

i am so sade to read this ..
why all this hatred?

I didnt want to discuss this here as it is not the right place or anything to do with gp32x so aplogies to hando.

At the time I didnt know falken80 was running the competition (i still dont know but he seems to be part of it at least?). I asked the person to remove the rules thats it. Now, if falken does have something to do with the competition then I am disappointed simply for the fact that the disagreement between him/gp32news and myself has been going on for a long time. Part of the disagreement was that gp32news was copying news posts word for word from gp32emu and other sites and leeching files and images from others sites, this has been admitted by fx-man and he apologised and I have accepted this and all has been well since so to speak.

Now onto falken, if he is running the competition he has copied my rules literaly word for word. I see this has just causing trouble again when he knows the history and everything that went on, he should know better. Its a private argument that I started in a private email but he decided to bring this up on the IRC channel which has evantually made its way to these forums.

Thats all I have to say.

I think a polite 'you copied our rules' e-mail would've been better. And a private e-mail at that.

But oh well... boys will be boys.

Just as long as i get my hands on those homebrew games...

Guyfawkes. I do not have to undergo the consequences of your problems with fx-man

Dont believe those emails, its a complete and utter lie.
Copyrights dont work that way.

First, they have to have solid proof that they wrote them and wrote them BEFORE you did. Which, electronic files on their host and computer do not count as they can be falsified. They would have to have filed this with their government or taken other official means to prove that they wrote it first.

Second, the copyright is only valid as long as the majority of the document is unchanged (the amount requiring change depends on the type of document)

And third, its just a rule set. Compare that to the many possible copyright infringements that will be entered into GBAx compo, UNOFFICIAL remakes of existing games, games with ripped graphics, etc... talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Just change one word in every sentence, and you are good to go!

I am not saying you should go arround coping other peoples documents and changing them, I am just saying that his email about copyright infringments is B.S. and anyone writing an email like that to me, I would not change a thing just out of pure spite.

Can someone explain me why all french people are banned on #gp32dev on IRC ?!

Thanks !

Woah! This is certainly a hot issue :blink:

Akuma no Houkon, you're flat wrong about the copyright issue. Copying only has to be "substantial" and there's no question that the rules were copied. So GuyFawkes is legally in the right. Also, copyright does not have to be filed with the government, it is yours implicitly when you create something. Date of creation is not really a problem, we can all see that the GBax 2004 rules have been published before the Tomak ones.

However, I totally agree with you that the issue is a bit of a storm in a teacup... EXCEPT that it's obviously stirred up some lingering bad blood between falken80, GuyFawkes, and others that none of us are a party to. For that reason, I would suggest that the rest of us drop out of the discussion and leave GuyFawkes, falken80 etc to sort it out amongst themselves. Preferably privately, although the ongoing flamewar does have some entertainment value ;)

This community has been great since my first visit.

Why not just be flattered that someone thinks your
work is good enough to copy / paste and then >remind<
that someone that they should credit you for your work.

.......Instead of going the "remove this or else" route ?

I don't see how this has any place on public forums btw -
this isn't politics for crying out loud...

Cheers

/motten

I'm sorry guys, but I'm on Guyfawkes' side this time. Because if I understand correctly, guyfawkes is only asking to change the words, not the rules.

And it's ugly thing to just copy&paste things word by word, and out of the ethic. it's not about laws actually, it's about respect.

Dont be angry because you did something wrong, be a real man, change the words and make up your own, and if guyfawkes insists on change in rules, just tell him to go away.

take good care...

I'm sorry guys, but I'm on Guyfawkes' side this time. Because if I understand correctly, guyfawkes is only asking to change the words, not the rules.

And it's ugly thing to just copy&paste things word by word, and out of the ethic. it's not about laws actually, it's about respect.

Dont be angry because you did something wrong, be a real man, change the words and make up your own, and if guyfawkes insists on change in rules, just tell him to go away.

take good care...

please read the rules before to say silly things.

http://tomakcompo.gp32france.com

http://www.gbax.com/GBAX2004.html

Robster posted on Apr 19 2004 at 10:35 PM said:
However, I totally agree with you that the issue is a bit of a storm in a teacup... EXCEPT that it's obviously stirred up some lingering bad blood between falken80, GuyFawkes, and others that none of us are a party to. For that reason, I would suggest that the rest of us drop out of the discussion and leave GuyFawkes, falken80 etc to sort it out amongst themselves. Preferably privately, although the ongoing flamewar does have some entertainment value ;)
I agree. Topic closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back