Gbax We Need An Official Comment Please

Lazrhog

GBAX (Craig et al), we really need to know what the situation is with regards to the product recall. Are you delivering units from now on that will not be subject to the recall, what serial numbers are affected by the recall, and will units be returned to GBAX, from then on to Korea and back again (at GPH Cost?) ?

We really do need answers to these questions, as there is a big question mark over the GP2X at the moment that needs removing.

Thanks.

Lazrhog posted on Dec 1 2005 at 01:00 PM said:
GBAX (Craig et al), we really need to know what the situation is with regards to the product recall. Are you delivering units from now on that will not be subject to the recall, what serial numbers are affected by the recall, and will units be returned to GBAX, from then on to Korea and back again (at GPH Cost?) ?

We really do need answers to these questions, as there is a big question mark over the GP2X at the moment that needs removing.

Thanks.

what kind of recall ? ( link? )

Last edited by a moderator:
GPH will announce on December 4th how this will be handled.

We can't say any serial numbers, some units work, some don't.

If you have any flickering LCDs (AFTER upgrading to 1.0.1), your unit is affected.

The scanlines don't have anything to do with it, it's just the brightness flickering when moving the stick left / right in the main menu.

The scanlines are a timing / firmware issue.

So are the ones being delivered at the moment being tested for this fault ? as I don't have mine yet, and would probably rather receive my unit later and not be part of a recall than sooner and have to send it away ....

I'll try asking again here. How bad is the flickering that people are experiencing? I notice it when I am playing an MP3 and sometimes when I am playing a game but I don't notice it when I move the stick left or right. I mostly just notice a very faint constant flickering since the last patch. It may have something to do with the constant scanlines (interlace) that everything has now.

Also, my loading screen seems to have many different green gradients since the upgrade. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have a first gen unit (V100) and have grown quite accustomed to it. If I have to give it back to GPH to get it repaired I will, but I will definitely miss it.

It's a permanent flickering, first noticable on the green Loading screen, then pretty much constant from there on in.

You feel very much like you are watching a cheap mini portable TV, and not looking at an LCD screen.

I don't know if it is related, but on mine everytime I select a different icon in the main menu, the whole screen darkens then brightens.

Was hoping firmware updates would fix it, as they did fix the contrast issues I had when it arrived. But now I'm on 1.01, the flickering is still there, being much worse when watching video playback.

RobertJ posted on Dec 2 2005 at 12:54 AM said:
It's a permanent flickering, first noticable on the green Loading screen, then pretty much constant from there on in.

You feel very much like you are watching a cheap mini portable TV, and not looking at an LCD screen.

I don't know if it is related, but on mine everytime I select a different icon in the main menu, the whole screen darkens then brightens.

Was hoping firmware updates would fix it, as they did fix the contrast issues I had when it arrived. But now I'm on 1.01, the flickering is still there, being much worse when watching video playback.

Thanks Robert. I am going to try to get one of my Korean coworkers to translate what is on gph.co.kr and see if I can find out what they say about it.

RobertJ posted on Dec 1 2005 at 04:54 PM said:

Yes, mine does the exact same thing. And in the music player, it does this constantly (brightness down, brightness up).

My guess is it has something to do with updating the screen. Although why, in the music player, it would constantly update the screen is anyone's guess...

My guess from what i've seen so far is that this is caused when the gp2x tries to access the sd card.Maybe the extra voltage needed to access the card are too much for 2.4V from two rechargable batteries...Also from the fact that when I tried different butteries this became better I can only blame it on the power source or the power requirement of the Gp2x circuit.But then the only way I can justify this happening on the menus when you move the cursor is to put the blaim on a bug.Can someone try this with an AC adaptor and tell use if it happens then?

Maybe a video camera recording of the flickering if possible would be able to help other users diagnose whether they really have the symptoms or not.

RobertJ posted on Dec 1 2005 at 05:54 PM said:

That's exactly the flickering of the faulty LCDs.

Last edited:
It sounds scary, but I hope it doesn't delay orders, as that wouldn't be nice. I'm checking my e-mail at least 10 times a day.

We have tried not to send any out after we noticed the fault, and as some people have said firmware alterations can mysterious solve it, so is it hardware or software... we are waiting for the results of gameparks experiments.

Damn it, that means they'll be delayed! *tears hair out*

Is it possible for people who don't care about these screen problems to send you their order numbers and get them despatched anyway, and have them exempt from returning their GP2X due to screen problems?

Just an idea, and one that at least I would use, and possibly others.

PSyMastR posted on Dec 1 2005 at 03:40 PM said:
Well. Im glad i dont have a defective unit :D

Does bricking from an offical update count as a defect?

Back