Gbax 32mb Ram

There are ofcourse pros and cons to this upgrade. The pros include the fact that if a program is already hugging the 166MHz line, even though it is very efficient (ASM), it might be able to run fullspeed at 180MHz. Ofcourse the cons are that a lot of people won't be able to run this new game properly.
My only response to this can be: "Though luck". Now this may seem a little harsh at first, until you hear that my GP32 can't overclock past 166MHz. If a developer wants to develop a game that runs at 180MHz, please god, let him.

The only games likely to need 180MHz are some goodlooking 3D games, or emu's. Now emu's are most likely already efficient with loads of ARM ASM cores floating around. For example, I know DJWillis' ScummVM is quite close to the 166MHz border with OGG support. Know we all know OGG takes up a lot of CPU power, so should DJWillis keep optimizing the OGG support and make it run at 166MHz, risking that he loses interest and drops the project or should he make an option to let it run at 180MHz? Your choice...

PS

DJWillis was used purely as an example, and has nothing to do with this topic.

Well, I am intending to wait and see if GBAx offer a 180MHz 32MB machine, and I for one will buy one. Nobody is expecting/wanting any homebrew games that require such a mod, but emulators will certainly benefit.

Just got my 166 BLU and wont be happy is the programs only work at faster speeds, I debated over getting a gp32 for ages and if i cant run the new stuff then i wont be too impressed.

Just got my 166 BLU and wont be happy is the programs only work at faster speeds, I debated over getting a gp32 for ages and if i cant run the new stuff then i wont be too impressed.

New programmes will NOT REQUIRE faster clock speeds, that is certain. However with emulation of machines like SNES and Megadrive/Genesis which are 'nearly there' the extra speed could make quite a difference to gameplay. I wouldn't worry about it, your GamePark was a good investment.

Back