Gbax 2007 Coding Competition Entries Online

greenmikey said:
I started testing alphabetically and Im a fan of battlejewels and blocked so far. Go gp2x!

I couldn`t play any entries yet :( shame on me! My internet at home is still not working, but I`m putting the games on my usb stick now to take em home :)

Last edited by a moderator:
that project's dead

i mean the next link from the SF site..
HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer
8)

and it looks as PSP LUA player.. but with different set of functions.
so they aren't compatible

Troy the Great said:
ADIC2X
CromoZome
Tikka Dungeons
Ventifact
Webfest

These games don't work for me. The games never boot up, The screen just stays black, then I have to reset my Gp2x. Can someone help? Is it my firmware(I have an older 2.0 version). Thanks for your help.
I think it has been discovered that if using GMenu2X do NOT link to the GPE. Link to the CromoZome(with no file extension file) directly or else it will crash. This is in the readme/manual (well I didn't know that it would crash but it instructs you to link to the CromoZome file for GMenu2X!)

Wow, there are a lot of GP2X entries! I was even happy to see a GP32 one (nice 3D, great AtariST tunes, nice game). From the rest, I have seen only few of them (will check the rest slowly slowly, gota code now), Knightlore conversion is great and spongebob tennis nice, the 3d RPG is impressive but unplayble with that cameras, tunnel racer is quite cool, oh and nice to see the demo F341, quite nice engine for a start!

Amazing amount of good entries! Haven't played all yet, but here's a rundown of some of my favorites, in case the devs are reading this. :)

BattleJewels : Interesting take on a very good puzzlegame.
Blast Riot : Crazy stuff this, but entertaining!
Blocked : Cool idea and very challenging.
Cubes : Never seen anything like it, but it hooks you and won't let go.
FleshChasmer I: the Eve : Impressive presentation and quite fun. What's with the low resolution though?
GLOUTON : Better than most snake-games. Good stuff!
Mister Block : So simple, yet so fun.
Ruck-Man : Extremely polished clone of a great game.
Sqdef : My favorite. Can't stop playing this!
Squaresliding : Interesting game, will probably get stuck playing this as well.
UNICOLOR : Another very nice remake of a good game.

Note that I have not tried all entries yet. And a few failed to work, so I will try them again. (Reading the read-me's this time. It might help. :)).

B.t.w. has anyone tried my game, BeatBox?

Imerion said:
Sqdef : My favorite. Can't stop playing this!
Squaresliding : Interesting game, will probably get stuck playing this as well.
:D

Imerion said:
Yep, and I like it a lot. It's interesting how it divides your attention between the two sides, it's like playing 2 DDR games at the same time. I like that you have plenty of modes and missions. The graphics are fun and go well with the hyper-active feel of the game.

I think that you can regain health a bit too easily, even on the hard mode. By the way, is there a way to quit from Practice mode?

Cheers!

I put together a starter strategy guide for Sqdef, which walks you through the first 5 waves (last one is boss). There are other ways to go about it of course, this is just one of them :)

Strategy Guide

Alex. said:
I put together a starter strategy guide for Sqdef, which walks you through the first 5 waves (last one is boss). There are other ways to go about it of course, this is just one of them :)

Strategy Guide

Could this tutorial be included in the game itself?

Imerion said:
I tried it, it's ace! :D

Oh, and thanks for using my splash screen :)

Wow I'm very impressed with the GP2X entries (only console I have from the contest).

I find myself playing SQDef endlessly
I won BoomShine2X and even got my wife to play and win it!
Blast Riot had me cursing my crappy joystick because I want to play more but I can't move the little guy!
Phishy is such a clever idea, simple game but so much fun!
My son (who is 9) has won Mister Block at least a dozen times and wants more levels NOW! :p
I think BattleJewels must be a fun game because every time I turn it on my son takes over within a minute and runs off to play it. Thankfully he goes to bed soon so I can try it!

So many more to try out!

Good job everyone! You are all making me jealous. I need to get back into GP2X coding!

Optimus said:
the 3d RPG is impressive but unplayble with that cameras
I dissagree, I just finished the game. :p
Favorites are FleshChasmer, Blastriot, Knightlore and both of Alex' games. Great work everyone.

I love Fleshchasmer for the sheer magnitude of the project, even if I can't stand the camera angles and often have trouble wrking out what's actually going on. And staying alive.

My favourites so far, though, have to be:

Ruck-man - the only fun version of Pac Man I've played, ever
Squaresliding - stylish and just very cool, even if it could get boring after an hour or two

Block. Or Blocked, can't remember. The one where you have to pick up the blue blocks. Interesting level design, plays most funly, and definitely deserves an expansion - just very very charming.

Unicolor - one of the most professionally presented puzzle games I've seen without being commercial. Took me a while to get what was going on, since then it's been great!

Tikka dungeon - not put much time into it because there's so many entries, but feels like if I did, it would be very good fun indeed.

There have been sooo many good games entered this time round. I'd love to love Battlejewels too, incidentally, but for me it just feels a bit slow still - what can I say, I like my action games at walking pace, but my puzzle ones with as much speed as possible! Except Go, which benefits from thought, of course, but that's an aside.

Tobriand said:
Unicolor - one of the most professionally presented puzzle games I've seen without being commercial. Took me a while to get what was going on, since then it's been great!
Thank you for that :) and next version will surely have tutorial. And a level editor. And nicer animations. And more speed... hopefully :)

Toby - hey! ;) I do intend to add a 'speed' to the optional panel (when I add it, too) so you can turn up or down the animation speeds. I'm aiming to keep a good overall balance at first, and then let folks tweak later.

jeff

The thing about BattleJewels is that in design it's not an against the clock game and you should more tackle it as you would draughts, rather than Bejeweled or ZooKeeper.

Racing to get your 3-in-a-rows as quick as you can isn't the best stategy, as I know from speaking to Skeezix that the AI is thinking a few moves ahead. This is all the more evident on the Do Not Replace orbs option, which is my favourite (try it!), especially when playing as a Druid. You'll find that the AI is waiting for opportunist moments to use its spells. It's great when you and the AI are chasing the same colours. For more frantic games, pick the Duelist.

It's also worth going for gold (go for the wildcard treasure chest that appears after chains of 4 or more) as you can shop in the Adventurer's Mart for items that are valuable in beating characters such as the dragon.

I think that the AI really sets it apart. A whole system of stats and variables altering the various enemies' traits and style of play. A little more complex than ZooKeeper's stopwatch!

Hopefully, Skeezix won't cringe when he reads this!

--- :D Talk of the devil..!

skeezix said:
Toby - hey! ;) I do intend to add a 'speed' to the optional panel (when I add it, too) so you can turn up or down the animation speeds. I'm aiming to keep a good overall balance at first, and then let folks tweak later.

jeff
I know - and I'm really looking forward to playing hours upon hours of Battlejewels when you do!

Incidentally, having only been back from the states for a fairly little while, I didn't play any of the last test builds before the competition one; the game's advanced in spiff a LOT. Maybe I'm not going to be playing much of it at the moment, but for those for whom the speed feels right, it's another of the entries into the competition that fall under the heading of "basically professional quality". Which is rather cool, really :D.

Back