Gba Emu

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all
remember that the GP32 clock is not powered when the GP32 is off...So everything from a PDA (even in ARM9) would be pointless since the "emulator"/interpretator would never remain with the correct time/date....
Think about that...
(btw : you can add a small battery to allow the clock to be powered => more infos around darkfader site)

I dont think a hex editor is enough since the rom maybe have a CRC check or something like that...some soft are removing everything unneeded...

see you :lol:

I understand the clock point, all I need is a calendar that will let me write notes to the SMC. I've used the text pad stuff for now and I know there's a calendar (in spanish) on GP32 Spain.

I think the GBA Emu will be the GP32's "killer app" if it all works out. (that and fgen and os9x)

if the GBA "emu" works great then we will have for our GP32 all the good systems ever made :
NES, SNES, GB/GBC/GBA, PC-E, GG/SMS, GEN, and all the atari, colecovision.. B) .

A very good list....:)
I wanna the GBA on the GP32 to make my friends realise that the GP32 rocks :p

A PDA emu would be also great :unsure: (even without clock support) but only with the CHA01 support...since the gp32 is not a silk one. I know that Ive just said a PDA emu would be pointless but I realised that there are a lot of things usable without a clock.. :rolleyes: .

see you :lol:

You could always have a date and time stored on the SMC and update them each time you use the PDA functions. Not ideal but better than nothing. After all it's easier to update a date and time if some of it is already right. With the right interface it could be workable. I can't see the likes of Sony, Palm or HP going out of business because of it though ;)

hmm the sharp linux thing "Zaurus" uses a Strong ARM cpu.. newer than the one from gp32.
a pda would be also nice.. but i think its easiert to get a small linux pda system running with some kind of x and aplications than to emulate any PDA system... also the gp32 doesnt have a touchscreen :)

You hit the nail on the head Sonic... my thinking is if this gba emu proves this way of coding works then a small linux pda system could reuse at least some of the code :unsure:

shotaway posted on Mar 4 2004 at 05:39 PM said:
jegHegy posted on Mar 3 2004 at 09:24 PM said:
Rico posted on Mar 3 2004 at 08:58 PM said:
Remember that any 5,6,7mb roms rounded up to 8mb could work if you used some sort of shrinker program to make them smaller...
= deleting 00's from the end of the ROM
could you use a hex editor to do this?
Yes it worked on all the roms I have used it on. Try HexEdit

Last edited by a moderator:
washo posted on Mar 4 2004 at 05:48 PM said:
I dont think a hex editor is enough since the rom maybe have a CRC check or something like that...some soft are removing everything unneeded...
Only the PC has CRC checks

pip posted on Mar 4 2004 at 08:07 PM said:
washo posted on Mar 4 2004 at 05:48 PM said:
Only the PC has CRC checks
actually, GBA ROM's do have checksum you know. removing the trailing 00's wouldn't interfere with it though.

edit: typo heaven

diablo2 posted on Mar 4 2004 at 10:51 PM said:
i don't see any reason that they wouldn't have a checksum
Make it a bit harder to mod them (change gfx,...)??

I'm Just wondering about all the talk about not enough RAM for 8MB+ roms...

If the GBA BIOS makes the GP32 act just like a GBA then wouldn't it load games in just the same way? I.E. Just enough data for the GBA's ram - would load slower from SMC than cartridge but wouldn't be a problem for the larger games.

...know what I mean?

I thought the only alteration to the bios would be to do with the mmu?

I don't think he plans to put the gba bios into the gp32 bios.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

AFIAK, changing the BIOS wouldn't help... I think that the BIOS goes 100% out of memory when a prog is run, and you'd need atleast some non-ROM code in memory to emulate the gfx/snd chips.... I really don't see why making a new BIOS would help any better than just making a normal .gbx/.fxe ... (?)

Where does he say hes going to put the GBA bios into the GP32 BIOS space? Like I said as far as I know it only needs to be altered for the MMU so he can run GBA code on the GP32 and see what its doing.

I would think he can put the GBA bios into RAM, i would certainly have thought it would be the place due to copyright reasons (who would distribute a GP32 bios with the copyrighted GBA bios in it?).

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back