Gametrac Looks Amazing

The Mole

Did anybody see todays gamer.tv?

They had an interview with the people working on the Gametrac and it looks and sounds utterly amazing.

Wireless online gaming, exclusive album downloads from major artists before their release, they did mention one US artist thats signed upto it but i didnt know who he was (some rapper i think).

Its got a high spec digital camera built in as well as loads of other features.

You also got to see one of the games running on a Gametrac in the background. It was a fully 3D rally game and it looked awsome.

It could be the biggest sleeper hit the gaming world has ever seen. I can't wait to find out more.

Yeah i got the feeling that it was a UK based company as their headquarters were in the UK.

I was so impressed and it does take an awful lot to impress me. It will not replace my GP32 but it will sure as hell stop me from buying a PSP.

£100-£150 + PHONE CONTRACT

£500 without....if they can get the price down to £100 so it becomes a casual purchase like the GBA then they might be onto something...otherwise it will join the massive pile of the almost ran handhelds.

Sorry to be so down but the handheld sector is very hard to crack...and i think only Ninty and Sony are the only people that will do it.

Screen the size of a stamp isn't exactly something to cheer for.

Just another PDA stylised on handheld :) I will wait for real gaming device like Sony Portable or NIntendo DS. Why the heck people think i need a camera or gps ? I have a camera in my cell phone. I've used it once.. sorry twice :) And this 2,8' screen. After 3,5' gp32's screen i am not going to use a handheld with smaller one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
From what i've read on theregister and more recently in Stuff magazine it looks like it will retail for just £60 with contract and £100 without.

For me the screen wont be a problem, i lived with a gba for long enough! and the actual resolution is 320x200 so its better than the gba in that respect.

personally, living in the uk, im very excited by this. its based on windows ce, if it were possible to use current pocket pc emulators it would be a god send and i personally am rather drawn to the controls!

hando posted on Mar 17 2004 at 07:42 PM said:
Well, it hard to belive that price for 400MHA arm machine wont exceed 100 pounds (maybe it is a cost of camera ;)
according to the stuff magazine article the machine's cost will be offset by advertisments that appear on screen. Not sure if this means constantly like a web banner or a pop up.

added to this is the fact that contracts as a whole can often ofset the price of a phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ads in a game = retarded

If its ina billboard fine but if you have to play all your games with somthing like the animated liksang banner *points to top of screen* then forget it. I might as well preorder my PSP NOW.

*changes GP32 Batteries and goes back to playing games*

Gametrac Spec

Gametrac sets the standard for mobile gaming. With 400Mhz of processor power and a huge, high resolution TFT screen, Gametrac totally outclasses all other mobile gaming devices.
High quality multi-level games can be installed through an MMC/SD card or downloaded remotely via the mobile phone network.
Built-in GPS technology allows players to discover the true meaning of mobile gaming. Some of the most exciting, innovative and interactive experiences the gaming industry has ever seen are currently in development.
Unlike other mobile gaming devices, Gametrac puts you in total control with an eight-way D-Pad, left and right triggers and four face buttons.

An integrated digital camera allows users to capture and share moments with friends through Gametrac's MMS capabilities. These can be sent to both Gametrac devices and other mobile handsets or PDAs.
A ´´My Friends´´ area in the Gametrac device allows users to collect and store their friends' images.

The built-in Windows™ multimedia MP3 facility enables users to download and enjoy their music on the move, in digital quality through the stereo headset socket.
The device's digital encryption technology uses digital handshake, restricted access and 'destruct at engagement' methods to prohibit piracy and theft.
The operating system enables easy downloading of music files while Gametrac's integrated SD flash card reader lets users mix and store endless selections of music.
Gametrac's unique Smart Adds system allows the music industry to deliver customized, feature-rich content via MMS.

Thanks to its Windows™ CE operating system, Gametrac has the most advanced video playback functionality ever seen on a mobile gaming device.
The opportunities for feature-rich media are endless. Not only is it possible to view and send video clips like music videos or film previews, but enabling technology will eventually allow users to view entire feature films.
Windows™ Media Player 9 enables MPEG 4 video format viewing on Gametrac's high resolution TFT screen.

Messaging is a way of life for Gametrac users. Through the GPRS network, Gametrac offers a range of messaging functions that enable convenient communication.
Gametrac's MMS capabilities lead the field. Users can even send and receive rich-media files, including MP3 and Mpeg clips.
Write basic SMSs quickly and easily with predictive-input texting. Or snap a picture with the built-in camera, add it to a MMS and send it to any mobile phone or Gametrac device in moments.
Gametrac's Smart Adds system allows advertisers to deliver customized feature-rich content via MMS, opening up all-new revenue streams. Imagine being able to send demos of the latest games, clips of upcoming movies or samples of the newest album releases directly to your target audience. Now that's smart!

Gametrac's integrated Global Positioning System (GPS) brings mobile gaming to life.
Developed by SiRF, the GPS service also allows you to set geofences around a building or city. If Gametrac leaves this assigned zone it can send an alert via SMS to a mobile phone or PDA. The potential for this technology is enormous and Gametrac will lead the way in its development for the consumer audience.
Not only can Gametrac make the most of existing location-based services like searching for the nearest ATM or McDonald's, if your friends own a Gametrac you can find them too - perfect when you're at a festival or concert!

GPRS enables exciting and intense worldwide gaming experiences.
GPRS offers high-speed communication that follows your every move. Your challenger can be anywhere in the world. The only thing you have in common is the Gametrac console.
Play against who you want. Anytime, anywhere.

Gametrac supports Bluetooth wireless technology. Connect to enabled devices such as PCs and mobile phones and share pictures or music files.
For gaming, Bluetooth allows two or more Gametrac devices to link together for multi-player action. For local connections, Gametrac also has USB capabilities.

Gametrac blows other mobile gaming devices out of the water. With 400Mhz of processing power, Gametrac offers the fastest-loading games and smoothest-scrolling graphics ever seen on a handheld console.
Additional memory cards allow users to store images, music and movies.
A monster 64bit graphics engine enables groundbreaking mobile games

The website has been updated with videos and photos of a few games..

http://www.gametrac.com/

Looks like they are using the Xforge engine for 3D games. It looks quite cool to me, and with 400mhz of raw cpu power, and a full snes button layout, I really think this is the true successor to the GP32. ;) Not really, but I can live in hope.

the site is down, is this open source? i think it sounds like a piece of crap but if its open source it could be good.

It's such a nice piece of hardware, I just wish it didn't use a postage stamp coupled with a 400mhz CPU. Where is the logic in that? Screens should be getting bigger and better, not smaller. I reckon all the phone gubins sucks the life out of the battery (just like n-gage) and something has to go, and it seems to be screen real estate.

Back