Gameplay.

lubidog

Hello. I have been mulling over this for a while now, this whole idea of 'gameplay'. Everyone talks about it, everyone says how important it is and how us retro gamers have more fun with it than those Xbox 360ers. But what actually is gameplay?

If I play Pong today, I am bored. Sorry but it is boring. But back then I loved it. It had gameplay in spades. I have just bought Oblivian, it seems fun and I will probably play it a lot. But where is the gameplay here? I am wading through menus and struggling to remember loads of keys etc.

So is gameplay one facet of gaming? Is it an actual relationship between hands, eyes and fingers, the physical enjoyment of being coordinated? Or is it atmosphere and graphics. Were the graphics in Pong so amazing back then etc.

Anyway, just musing....

I would think that Gameplay is something that gives you a buzz while you are playing it. It's the thing that makes you come back for more, it is in essence, the thing that really makes a good game.

I also think it's the thing that makes it fun! And I stress the fun bit, fun fun fun fun fun!

So far there are two points, It's fun and gives you a buzz (No jokes please :blink: ).

I guess there is only one other point left, Skill factor, playability will progress slowly making something harder but introducing you to the elements as you get there. Simply having a huge bang on the upper left of the screen killing you for no reason isn't fun (There's that word again).

So I guess I can surmise from the above: Gameplay = Fun. Simple innit!

I would agree, there isn't much more to it. Even if the game is hard you still enjoy the challenge, and it all boils down to fun. However... what about people how stopped having fun playing a game a long time ago, but are slogging through it or are tied to it socially (WoW)? Is there still gameplay in such a game? Sure. Fun? Questionable.

I think the whole atmosphere of the game can be what gives you that fun factor in gameplay. It is how everything comes together that gives you that special buzz and warm fuzzy feeling inside. Its how the graphics, beeps, and music (if it is involved) is implemented and interwoven into the actual play mechanics. This plus the way the progression of the game pulls you deeper and deeper causing you to become more involved and addicted. We are smitten by that atmosphere and we say to ourselves, “This is fun.” Because we enjoy it. That pleasure point is different for everybody.

lubidog you mentioned “pong” as you opened this thread. I think playing “pong” by myself against a computer would be very boring. But the whole game was built around playing it with someone. Usually it was someone you enjoyed being with. The social interaction with the other person was part of the element of the gameplay. That is a part of what makes it fun. :)

well ok... one game that was really "fun" was Wario Ware Mega Party Game$$ when I got my mates round from uni, we drank vodka and played some cube... and laughed our asses off at each other.

Another time again lots of friends round, playing Donkey Konga... one of us ut the "Konga" sound set on the Bongos... and this means the left drum says "Dong" the right drum says "Key" and the clap says "Konga"

with how stupid it sounded playing a song with that sound set we were all in hysterics...

Those are both examples with friends around, but when I'm playing a game on my own, the fun factor is if the game permits me to achieve things in a convincing way... as in, it doesn't just tell you how to do the puzzle or give you too many hints.

Gameplay is getting pissed off at the level designer when you don't even know his name, while you try 5 times to complete a level. And when you finally get that level done, the rush you get is also part of the gameplay. If you find yourself not getting that rush when you complete a hard level in a game, then that game is not for you, or at least not for you right now.

Code:
gameplay == {fun && satisfaction && flow && controls}

- Alex

Alex. posted on Sep 2 2006 at 04:17 PM said:
Code:
gameplay == {fun && satisfaction && level design && controls}

- Alex
I always thought controls was considered part of ease of use instead of gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yono posted on Sep 2 2006 at 04:25 PM said:
Alex. posted on Sep 2 2006 at 04:17 PM said:
Code:
gameplay == {fun && satisfaction && level design && controls}

- Alex
I always thought controls was considered part of ease of use instead of gameplay.
Replace level design with flow on that one. Of course controls are part of gameplay. How would you play without controls? :)

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
BAck in the day I played Pong on my own for ours, and I realy believed that it was tennis...! How did they do that?

Back