Pandora Pandora Pong

crysnamtodshire

Still Fresh
Website
www.bucketon.com
I have most of the basic gameplay done, and am now working on networking it for hours of multiplayer fun. The game is configurable to be like classic pong, modern pong, or any option in between.

Currently implemented features include:

adjustable values for
paddle speed
points to win
ball speed increment
ball start speed
paddle "curvature" (meaning the weight applied to the angle at which the ball reflects based on where it hits the paddle)

Features yet to be implemented
network play
multiple graphics sets
optional accelerated motion for paddles
ball spin(? I'm not sure how well this would work in 2d pong, but I've experienced it being a fairly fun mechanic in 3d pong games)
pandora specific controls (I think the accelerated motion on paddles with the analog nubs would be pretty cool)

Right now I'm mostly looking for suggestions for additional features, though I can't promise that I will implement them, and any other feedback is certainly welcome. I will be making the source available once I've cleaned it up a bit.

tl;dr I'm making Networked pong for pandora and am looking for suggestions.

Cool! Are you looking to keep the gameplay 100% original (notwithstanding your modern feature list)? Or would you be willing to add silly modes with other stuff happening on the screen? Things like a set of tenpins in the middle, some Space Invaders style aliens etc.

I know that's a mortal sin to some, just wondering what kind of suggestions you're taking.

How about arkanoid-style powerups? Different levels (walls blocking the ball, magnets affecting its path etc)?

Ever heard of Plasma Pong (they got a CaD not long ago so you won't find them online any longer)?
They basically combined fluid dynamics with Pong, very interesting.

Video where a player owns the AI

So:
1. Why not implement some gimmick like that to make the game play more non-linear?
2. Why not rename your game so that you don't get a CaD too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that (Plasma Pong) is a nice one! Somehow I've missed it completely.

I have an idea. How about combining my and dflemsters ideas and making some powerups affect the balls path? Like a wind cannon, which would work kinda like the spray in plasma pong, attractive/repulsive magnet cannons, spatial/temporal distortion tools and so on. I think powerups could appear on the play area between the palyers and wold be collected by hitting them with the ball. Some powerups could also affect the ball itself, like speed it up, add spin etc

Gruso said:
Cool! Are you looking to keep the gameplay 100% original (notwithstanding your modern feature list)? Or would you be willing to add silly modes with other stuff happening on the screen? Things like a set of tenpins in the middle, some Space Invaders style aliens etc.

I know that's a mortal sin to some, just wondering what kind of suggestions you're taking.

My main goal was to allow the game to act like classic pong, but have tools to allow the player to redesign the rules with as much freedom as possible while still maintaining a simple interface. Basically, allowing the player to relive an old favorite, but also giving them low level control over the rules with which they play. I feel that this will allow the game to act in the capacity of satisfying social and competetive play, as well as emerging into other roles that may arise.

I definitely like the ideas of both obstacle/goals in the field, and active obstructions, such as enemies. A space invaders/brickout combination could be entertaining indeed...

B-ZaR said:
How about arkanoid-style powerups? Different levels (walls blocking the ball, magnets affecting its path etc)?

It would be fun to make a pong game with a story mode of some kind, or at least a single player with levels presenting challenges unique to the single player experience (read: horribly unbalanced situations with which the player must cope).

dflemstr said:
Ever heard of Plasma Pong (they got a CaD not long ago so you won't find them online any longer)?

So:
1. Why not implement some gimmick like that to make the game play more non-linear?

First off, that plasma pong business looks amazing. I could only wish that I had the time or graphics programming ability to make a game that looks that good. I will certainly attempt to add various physics sets that the game could utilize. If you or anyone else has any ideas for various rulesets that the simulation could follow (i.e. magnets in the field as per B-ZaR, a flowmap directing the ball's motion, etc.), please let me know.

On the note of receiving a CaD order, I will certainly name the game in such a way that it is not infringing upon anyone's trademarks. Possible pongless names that I have thought of or have been suggested to me by my roommate are:

• Battle Paddles
  • Ping (this one is particularly satisfying due to the reference to net play)

suggestions are more than welcome for additional names.

B-ZaR said:
Wow, that (Plasma Pong) is a nice one! Somehow I've missed it completely.

I have an idea. How about combining my and dflemsters ideas and making some powerups affect the balls path? Like a wind cannon, which would work kinda like the spray in plasma pong, attractive/repulsive magnet cannons, spatial/temporal distortion tools and so on. I think powerups could appear on the play area between the palyers and wold be collected by hitting them with the ball. Some powerups could also affect the ball itself, like speed it up, add spin etc

If I may alter your idea slightly to better fit the principles of the project, I think it would be interesting to allow the players to choose a particular powerup at the beginning of the game that they can use freely, or with specific limitations, within the game. This would be much like choosing a character in a fighting game. The player could select an ability that most suits their playstyle. I like this idea so much in fact, that I have a list of possible abilities for starters(half of these are just your powerups B-ZaR, so, good stuff):

• magnet abilities that allow the player to bend the path of the ball slightly as it travels.
  • a wind gun that pushes the ball away from the player, speeding it up on offense while slowing it for defense.
  • a slam ability that allows the player to return the ball viciously with proper timing.
  • an ability to pause the ball mid transit for a fraction of a second, on a short cooldown, to be used for mindgames.
  • an ability to hold the ball for a period of time, as if the paddle were "sticky".
  • a smaller AI Helper paddle, that assists the player.

Any suggestions in this area would be particularly cool.

On another note, does anyone know of a good library for creating simple UI elements such as slider bars and checkboxes for setting all of these options? I've been reading them in from a config file thus far, but I obviously would like more user friendly method of entry, especially considering that I would like for the game to be contained in a .pnd and I guess a directory for graphics skins.

crysnamtodshire said:
On another note, does anyone know of a good library for creating simple UI elements such as slider bars and checkboxes for setting all of these options? I've been reading them in from a config file thus far, but I obviously would like more user friendly method of entry, especially considering that I would like for the game to be contained in a .pnd and I guess a directory for graphics skins.
Err... Qt?

UI libs are quite a topic; QT (and I think GTK as well) can read UI from xml (and the designer tool can emit the xml, or C++ code proper), which can be handy. QT can use a full windowing system and there is a variatin that renders direcdt to framebuffers, so might be okay.. but is pretty heavy possibly. There are hundreds of various sundry GUI libs and we've all rolled our own of course, but there must be some good candidates that render purely to buffers or framebuffers. I know ther ewas a coupe popular ones years ago but I've forgotten, having used my own (crappy) one for awhile. Really, we all need to find or build sometihng, and just keep it out there :) Its not hard to write, just takes quite a while :/ Let me/us know if you find a good one that goes straight to buffer (that can then be blitted to framebuffer, a texture or whatever.)

jeff

Ping sounds about right; also, what of the graphics? I know it's a simple Pong Ping game, but maybe to show off the power of the Pandora we could have active backgrounds, maybe a crowd that cheers or waves that crash around? Just a thought.

A background à la Plasma Pong is deceivingly simple to create and doesn't require that much processing power at all, even if you don't use shaders.

I really need to find that demo I did back in 2006...

In the mean time, look at this. It's what I based my program on.

"Paddle the Oval to Neighbors Goal"
"Bat-l" (bat, paddle...)

Also, I second Qt. It's awesome :)

Ability ideas:
  • Teleport, mirror paddle's position in relation to center
  • Enhanced spin, double or so spin effect on the ball
  • Mirage, sometimes when the ball hits the bat, a fake ball is emitted to a different direction. The fake fades away about halfway.
  • Curveball, the ball curves slightly
  • Edge-edge, the ball gains speed if the bat touches a wall when hitting it

As for graphics, I wouldn't sweat too much before getting the gameplay "on the ball". However it would be nice for a game like this to have the readiness to be turned into a special effect frenzy later on :)

"3D mode?" :D
Instead of only in y direction, it could be also in Z (x too?) direction? Diagonal View but this is maybe better only to use with "real" Tennis simulation. ^_^
Or a more advanced Pong game, more like "Wind Jammers" for the NeoGeo, a very nice Frisbee-Game that has some references to a classic Pong-Game.

crysnamtodshire said:
On the note of receiving a CaD order, I will certainly name the game in such a way that it is not infringing upon anyone's trademarks. Possible pongless names that I have thought of or have been suggested to me by my roommate are:

• Battle Paddles
  • Ping (this one is particularly satisfying due to the reference to net play)

suggestions are more than welcome for additional names.
Battle + Paddle = Baddle! Ping Pong Baddle!

skeezix said:
Defence walls a la 2600 Warlords :)

Sphinxter said:
What might be hot is thumb vs. thumb play with each paddle controlled by a nub.

yes.

B-ZaR said:
Ability ideas:
  • Teleport, mirror paddle's position in relation to center
  • Enhanced spin, double or so spin effect on the ball
  • Mirage, sometimes when the ball hits the bat, a fake ball is emitted to a different direction. The fake fades away about halfway.
  • Curveball, the ball curves slightly
  • Edge-edge, the ball gains speed if the bat touches a wall when hitting it

These are good, but I have a particular interest in Mirage. I've always had a soft spot for abilities that don't necessarily affect the gameplay itself, but rather the player's perception of what is happening on the screen. (another good example of this effect is the concept of "speed mods" in rhythm games, which enable the player to increase the speed of the notes on the screen while simultaneously increasing the separation between them. The player still has to give the same input, but the information is displayed in such a way that it is easier for the player to interpret quickly)

lulzfish said:

PnP's not Pong

Also keep the suggestions coming; I will update the original post later to include current information on what ideas are out there.

These is a Flash Game, my buddies and myself really loved to play at school when we were bored (we even set up some little competitions:

You can find it here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/155745

To sum it up: It's like normal pong, but there are some parts of the upper and lower wall which give you weapons when you hit them with the ball. Weapons include "ball direction reverse", "bullets", "control reverse" and more. As there also are bad power-ups there is the ability to send the specific power-up to over to the enemy (best used with the control reverse one).
This is probably a really different concept, but it adds a lot of variety and is a really great basis for multiplayer matches.

I really like the idea of Pong, it's a really great multiplayer game which easily can be played is short 5 minute breaks and provides hours of fun :)

foxblock out

dflemstr said:

So:
What do you mean you can't find the game online? Just go here: http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f3013.html

make sure to download it from their site, not plasma pong's.

Back