Gamepark Files Bankruptcy

Dunny posted on Mar 16 2007 at 05:18 PM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:56 AM said:
A whole tonne of whining

Bloody hell, Dave - it's just a frigging screen ffs.

And more to the point, it's the one you were given. You can't change that, you're never going to change that, and I think that GPH have really made it clear that they don't give a rat's ass what you think about their hardware and so...

They ain't gonna change it either.

Now can you stop whining? Please? You do it in pretty much every post these days. And you used to be so nice, too.

KTHX.

D.

Whining about whining :lol: :lol: :lol:

* Drinks Peaches & Cream Seltzer *

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou posted on Mar 16 2007 at 09:43 PM said:
* Drinks Peaches & Cream Seltzer *

I can't decide whether that sounds enticing or disgusting...

I have a feeling the next gph console will be *vga 4:3 based aspect... :rolleyes: And I've said it before, but widescreen content on a 4:3 screen is less annoying than 4:3 content on widescreen - because of your 'widescreen' view, those bars at the side are more intrusive... Whatever way there's going to be compromise, I don't think it should be so people can play movies on a games console.

Is there anything else that uses 16:9, or was this just designed to get a thread way off topic... I think we can forget about XGP already.. And er leave the decisions up to the boys at GPH, I don't think they really listen to our ranting on about stuff, and it'll probably be a matter of whatever is cheapest/most available anyway for the screen. I could live with a 16:9 screen, though... just got a new laptop 14.1" widescreen, and I feel squashed or something...

Zeladin posted on Mar 17 2007 at 01:07 AM said:
I have a feeling the next gph console will be *vga 4:3 based aspect... :rolleyes: And I've said it before, but widescreen content on a 4:3 screen is less annoying than 4:3 content on widescreen - because of your 'widescreen' view, those bars at the side are more intrusive... Whatever way there's going to be compromise, I don't think it should be so people can play movies on a games console.
And er leave the decisions up to the boys at GPH...

If I were designing a new handheld I would put in a 3.8" 640 x 480 touchscreen in it. It would cost more but I wouldn't be releasing it for a year or two anyway. They already use such screens for many PDAs such as PPCs, Sharp Zaurus etc. I thought long and hard about the touchscreen. It would make sense as it could aid in computer emus and could be interesting in apps and HB. Apps could even have rudimentary character recognition for text entry (as well as v-keyboard). Then you could order the exact same screen SKU used in the popular PDA so that you could get cheaper. You would just be another customer for the same bulk made part.

If you think about it that would be the IDEAL screen for a handheld of this type. First of all you could *evenly* double pixels for older emulated systems and they would basically look just like they do now on the GP2X. Then for newer PC ports like OpenTTD etc. you could display full resolution. Amiga could have the full high res 640x400 workbench on it, and you could have a MacII emu at full resolution too. (the 480x272 WS is still too low res for all of this)Then you have the touchscreen for keyboard and mouse emulation of computer systems too. No need for clunky USB keyboards etc.

For movie lovers ,even letterboxed, you still have nearly double the resolution of the standard 4" WS. For text readers/terminals the high res gives even more text. For those that do scale images and/or filter to fit it will look much better than 480x272 as well. The more resolution you have over native to work with the better and less course the scaling looks. The closer to native the courser.

But I know that won't happen because GP and/or GPH are too cheap to do this. They will just go with a cheap solution that satisfies the public lowest common denominator fad at the time. We did "leave the decisions up to the boys at GPH"... and look at the stupid stick they put in, and at the wrong angle to boot! *I* had to bust open the stick to find their mistake then tell Craig! To their credit at least they corrected the error (MK2). So no I don't trust the boys at GPH too much ;)

Yes lets all buy DaveC's handheld, the one the size of a skateboard with the 3 inch Dpad made of wood and the 6 volt truck battery. Only $600.

Faraz Parsa posted on Mar 17 2007 at 02:13 AM said:
Uh oh...let's hope people can still get a 2x.

*Gamepark* filed for bankruptcy not GPH... yet.

God I can see alot of confusion comming ;)

DaveC, your ideal handheld seems overly pretentious. Surely in a couple of years you will find such a device among UMPCs? I say keep the GP hardware cheap and fun, and yes, appeal to the lowest common denominator, because without a fair userbase the GP3X won't amount to much.

640x480 on a 3.8" screen would be acceptable for doubling 320x240 images, but full-res games would be way too small, won't they? We're talking about almost half the current screen's pixels' physical size, and that really isn't good for your eyes.

Alex. posted on Mar 17 2007 at 04:52 AM said:
DaveC, your ideal handheld seems overly pretentious. Surely in a couple of years you will find such a device among UMPCs? I say keep the GP hardware cheap and fun, and yes, appeal to the lowest common denominator, because without a fair userbase the GP3X won't amount to much.

640x480 on a 3.8" screen would be acceptable for doubling 320x240 images, but full-res games would be way too small, won't they? We're talking about almost half the current screen's pixels' physical size, and that really isn't good for your eyes.

Still better than 480 x 272 which basically forces stretching on most things and is still too low for others. That is an oddball in-between res and doesn't really have any advantage to it.

I have seen PPCs and alot of PDAs at 640 x 480 and they look fine. Look at the Sharp Zaurus.

It doesn't matter anyway. They have their minds made up and nothing here will change it. They will do what they want anyway for better or for worse.

That is why it is best to enjoy the Gp2X now. At least we know what we have ;)

I agree with DaveC on screen res. I'd be willing to drop decent coin on a handheld with a 640x480 touch screen if it had a decent CPU and GPU, provided it didn't come out tomorrow. Devs would just have to be conscious of the size of fonts that they use, that's all.

If handheld with 640x480 touchscreen would be released with cpu that can emulate n64 and ps1 fullspeed I would simply die from happiness.
Add wifi support, web browser, downloadable content, usb ports that can power keyboard, mouse, memorysticks and external harddrives and it would be the ownzor.

DaveC is right I think. I bought my GP2X for emulation/ports. I use it for other stuff about 15% of the time. The emulation/games portion of the GP2X community is bigger than any other. With that said, there are still many systems that have yet to be emulated. jaguar, ps1, saturn, n64, and pc games from the mid-90s mostly all have the 4:3 aspect ratio (heck, even most ps2, xbox, wii, gamecube games are 4:3 only) , so it only makes sense that a new system support a screen optimized for those. Bottom line, I think as an emulation console widescreen just doesn't fit.

Daikira posted on Mar 17 2007 at 07:53 AM said:
If handheld with 640x480 touchscreen would be released with cpu that can emulate n64 and ps1 fullspeed I would simply die from happiness.
Add wifi support, web browser, downloadable content, usb ports that can power keyboard, mouse, memorysticks and external harddrives and it would be the ownzor.
I'm sure, the Batteries also would die but from weakness. :lol: If you take the GP2X as a Standard in Battery-Usage, everything above the 200MHz CPU(s) sounds like a bad Joke. ^^""" Sadly but true.
For me, the Nr.1 of important Things of an Handheld is the battery/Accu time. And I'm scared, what such an new Handheld would need for mysterious Power-sources to fit in my "10-Hour Minimum Playtime" dreams :lol:

DaveC posted on Mar 17 2007 at 02:19 AM said:
Faraz Parsa posted on Mar 17 2007 at 02:13 AM said:
Uh oh...let's hope people can still get a 2x.

*Gamepark* filed for bankruptcy not GPH... yet.

God I can see alot of confusion comming ;)
Holdings broke off from Gamepark? Not that confusing.

GPH doesn't care what you want. If there was a new system it would have whatever LCD costs them the least money even if its resolution is 1948x5 with 6 colors. Keep dreaming.

GunPei2X posted on Mar 16 2007 at 09:13 PM said:
I never understood Epicenter's bitching about Quake2X -- it runs brilliantly for me, you just need to script the RAM timings and overclock to 240-270 and it's as smooth as I'd want it.
Ahahaha, yes 20 FPS with an ARM920T clock of 305 MHz is 'as fast as anyone would want it'. Delusional. not that I expected more. :rolleyes: For someone named Gunpei you don't live up to the brilliance of your namesake. Too bad.

Back