Gamepark Files Bankruptcy

EpicCantar posted on Mar 16 2007 at 12:16 AM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 16 2007 at 12:07 AM said:
Since there is not likely to be an XGP and you hate the GP2X what is the point? Just to spread DS fanboism? :rolleyes:
So quick to jump to conclusions. I also bought an old Famicom model 2, a MegaDrive and a weird little handheld that does nothing useful but play Bust-a-Move. These get more attention than my GP2X did.

However I find it fucking hilarious that the little system with the potentially-250 MHz+ ARM9 and more than 4 times the usable RAM can't run Quake a tenth as well.

Well yeah when you have a DS with a 3D chip and take out 1/4 of the original PC resolution it doesn't suprise me. It BETTER be able to do that ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
EpicCantar posted on Mar 15 2007 at 05:16 PM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 16 2007 at 12:07 AM said:
Since there is not likely to be an XGP and you hate the GP2X what is the point? Just to spread DS fanboism? :rolleyes:
So quick to jump to conclusions. I also bought an old Famicom model 2, a MegaDrive and a weird little handheld that does nothing useful but play Bust-a-Move. These get more attention than my GP2X did.

However I find it fucking hilarious that the little system with the potentially-250 MHz+ ARM9 and more than 4 times the usable RAM can't run Quake a tenth as well.
You said it is rapidly approaching 60 fps... so therefore its not quite there so lets say 50fps, if the gp2x couldnt run it 1/10th as well then that would mean that the gp2x port ran at 5fps... that sir is bullshit.

I agree with the 4:3 apsect... When widescreen TVs first came out I found it insane that people were paying MORE for a TV with less viewable screen!
Widescreen isn't really too beneficial for a handheld and I wish my laptop wasn't widescreen too quite frankly. The way I see it is on widescreen you will see borders with 4:3 content (or have fat people... your choice) on 4:3 you have borders on top and bottom when viewing widescreen content... I'll choose the top and bottom borders anyday personally.

Who's to say this is really the return of Epicenter? This could be someone just trying to stir up trouble and there wouldn't be any point in "feeding the troll" unless it's all in fun. :)

I for one would be fine with Epicenter coming back. I enjoyed his technical interpretation of gaming hardware, but I do agree there is only so many times you can bash something you don't like before it gets annoying.

If this really is Epicenter, welcome back. If it is not, then let everyone know that you are just goofing around so we can enjoy it as such. ;)

Widescreen TVs... save us from letterboxing. Movies have always been widescreen, when you got those 4:3 VHS tapes, they cropped them to fit your screen. Widescreen isn't any more or less viewing area... that boils down to the surface area, not the aspect ratio.

Craig's right, our eyes are widescreen. That's why we don't have 4:3 glasses. >_>

Now as far as emulation goes, most games were made for 4:3 sets, so it would only make sense that it would work well on a handheld. It's... not a big deal either way.

sam fisher posted on Mar 16 2007 at 12:19 AM said:
Meh, i hope for the GP3x to be decent *crosses fingers*

The GP2x is decent, why do we need a new one. I'm in love with the thing.

EpicCantar posted on Mar 16 2007 at 01:16 AM said:

I find it fucking hilarious that one of the annoying guys ever on the board is back to continue posting idiotic stuff even after his godsend glorious XGP machine which was said by him to rule the world failed before even seeing the light of day.

Ever thought that it can't run Quake that fast... because nobody did code it?
Most coder don't care about Quake (neither do I).
But I'd like to see fullspeed NeoGeo or SegaCD emulation on the NDS...

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Mar 15 2007 at 09:32 PM said:

... I wouldn't!! Gameplay would be horrible on those tiny screens!

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 15 2007 at 10:07 PM said:
LOL Files. Now.

Also, was "epiccanter" banned already? He brings some fun stuff to discussions :D

No, I don't think he's banned (yet), just thinking long and hard for a retort to EvilDragon's Burn :lol: :lol: :lol:

leathco posted on Mar 15 2007 at 01:13 PM said:
Sorry, just what I think. You think differently, so we'll just leave it at that.

Listen DaveC, as I said earlier WE THINK DIFFERENTLY! I'd rather have the widescreen, you'd rather have 4 x 3.

And I hate to say it bro, but the same arguement can be thrown your way. "Hey, instead of having to deal with a slightly smaller screen for gaming, lets completely screw ANY widescreen media we throw on our SD cards!" Sure, lots of people use it for emulating old games, but lots ALSO use it as a media player. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to watch movies and television as they are intended? And if you think you lose a lot of space with your games rescaled on a widescreen, check out how much you on the movie end!

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_7.asp

For OLD games, 4:3 is what they were meant for. That's great if you wanna play the same old stuff all the time. Nothing wrong with going back for a visit to the old stuff, but I like new experiences too. 16:9 is the NEW video standard, as which it would be nice for the handheld makers to support it so we not only watch current movies and TV on the system as it's intended to be seen, but also allow homebrew to take advantage of the new aspect ratio. THAT is what forward thinking is about. Going back to visit the classics is great fun, but why lock ourselves in that era when we have the hardware and technology to go beyond?

Besides, I've lived watching letterboxed stuff for FAR too long.

Oh and regarding this:

"Actually a widescreen is a 4:3 screen with the top and bottom *cut off*. You get LESS space :p
(that is a joke really to prove a point. Aspect DOESN'T give more or less space. screen area and resolution do)"

Right....that makes a whole hell of a lot of sense. One could use the exact same arguement to say that all widescreen is is a 4:3 ratio *stretched out.*

More or less....read this:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ana...creenorama.html

The gp2x is not an emulation only machine, nor is it a movies only machine. However, it can only have one screen. We can argue this til the second coming of Christ, it all comes to a matter of preference. For pure emulation, 4:3 is better. For pure movies, 16:9 is better. I prefer the 16:9, you prefer the 4:3. Most people use this thing for a mix of both, so screen size preference will ALWAYS be a matter of opinion. So please stop trying to push everyone saying that 4:3 is inherently better. It all depends on what you use the machine for.

Ooo, a preferred aspect ratio fight. I LOVE these!!

* eats popcorn *

leathco posted on Mar 16 2007 at 02:29 AM said:
leathco posted on Mar 15 2007 at 01:13 PM said:
Sorry, just what I think. You think differently, so we'll just leave it at that.

Listen DaveC, as I said earlier WE THINK DIFFERENTLY! I'd rather have the widescreen, you'd rather have 4 x 3.

And I hate to say it bro, but the same arguement can be thrown your way. "Hey, instead of having to deal with a slightly smaller screen for gaming, lets completely screw ANY widescreen media we throw on our SD cards!" Sure, lots of people use it for emulating old games, but lots ALSO use it as a media player. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to watch movies and television as they are intended? And if you think you lose a lot of space with your games rescaled on a widescreen, check out how much you on the movie end!
You seem to be real movie oriented. For you yes a 16:9 would be good. I would never argue about movies and that wasn't what I was talking about.

For me? I could care less about movies on a tiny screen no matter what the aspect. It is not too compelling to me to watch (and ruin) a decent movie on a tiny 4" screen with squeeky sound. Much better at home on the "big" screen. I don't see the draw of watching movies on a handheld. How many movies have I watched on the Gp2X? 0 How many emus do I play? too many to count. That is why I like the best screen for emus and a less than ideal screen for movies. Next someone will say "yea that is you, not everone is like you" right but I bet more use it for emus/ports like I do than movies like you. You obviously like movies and would rather have a bigger movie image and smaller game screen (and it isn't "slightly" smaller isis alot smaller, look at the pic again). That is what the PSP is for :p You can do both on either screen. yes 4:3 320x240 better for emus and ports. 16:9 fits movies better. But what will the Gp2X etc be used the most for by *more* people? Movies or emus? I would bet emus/ports (just look at post counts in emu threads compared to text viewer/movie player threads, you should have the answer). If it is in fact emus/ports then 4:3 is better for most of us for this device. If it is better for most of us then that is what it should have.

Shadowsithe posted on Mar 16 2007 at 12:46 AM said:
Craig's right, our eyes are widescreen. That's why we don't have 4:3 glasses. >_>
Huh? I have seen glasses that are ROUND. those weren't wide. Contact lenses are round too ;) Your EYE and retina is round as well not an elongated rectangle. I suppose screens should be round, with round pixels then.

TelcoLou posted on Mar 16 2007 at 02:37 AM said:
EvilDragon posted on Mar 15 2007 at 09:32 PM said:

... I wouldn't!! Gameplay would be horrible on those tiny screens!

*ASGARV* :D :D :D

(That's, like "LOLsorz" in swedish)

ooohhh, how interesting!!!

*joins TelcoLou with the popcorn*

SEE REDMOND!!! THIS IS HOW YOU WRITE A DECENT SCRIPT, NOT THAT CRAPPY HOLLYOAKS SH*TE YOU PUT OUT!!

*eats more popcorn*

so TelcoLou, since we've had one person come from the "grave", when is Elvis coming into this??

I never understood Epicenter's bitching about Quake2X -- it runs brilliantly for me, you just need to script the RAM timings and overclock to 240-270 and it's as smooth as I'd want it.

DaveC posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:56 AM said:
A whole tonne of whining

Bloody hell, Dave - it's just a frigging screen ffs.

And more to the point, it's the one you were given. You can't change that, you're never going to change that, and I think that GPH have really made it clear that they don't give a rat's ass what you think about their hardware and so...

They ain't gonna change it either.

Now can you stop whining? Please? You do it in pretty much every post these days. And you used to be so nice, too.

KTHX.

D.

Back