Gameboy Color Emulation

ashdjones said:
As far as I know all versions of the GBA, including the chip inside DS have support for GBC. I'm pretty sure the GBA uses this extra cpu (apparently part of the main GBA chip) as sound hardware.
The Z80 chip used for GB and GBC games was not part of the main GBA processor and it is not in the NDS. A Z80 was used in the SNES for audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
sdedalus said:
ashdjones said:
As far as I know all versions of the GBA, including the chip inside DS have support for GBC. I'm pretty sure the GBA uses this extra cpu (apparently part of the main GBA chip) as sound hardware.
The Z80 chip used for GB and GBC games was not part of the main GBA processor and it is not in the NDS. A Z80 was used in the SNES for audio.

No, that's a myth. Old GB carts use 5V, while GBA carts use 3.3V. GBA/GBA SP used a little switch inside the cart slot to select which voltage would be used, whereas the DS and GBA Micro don't have that ability.

CronoTriggerfan said:
No, that's a myth. Old GB carts use 5V, while GBA carts use 3.3V. GBA/GBA SP used a little switch inside the cart slot to select which voltage would be used, whereas the DS and GBA Micro don't have that ability.
The DS doesn't use the old AGB CPU SoC for backwards compatibility. It uses a new SoC with a faster ARM7 process for both DS and GBA mode, reducing the clockspeed for GBA games. Why, with a new custom SoC, would they implement something which will never be used?
The micro is a different story, since it did use the AGB CPU. I'm guessing the voltage converter used for 5v GB/GBC games was cut when the PCB was redesigned to fit in the smaller case.

sdedalus said:
ashdjones said:

The Z80 was used for sound in the Genesis, not the SNES. And the chip in the GB/C is not exactly a Z80 but a simplified variation.

IIRC the sound in the SNES came from one of the SN*** family of sound chips that werejust used everywhere.

Tinnus said:
IIRC the sound in the SNES came from one of the SN*** family of sound chips that werejust used everywhere.
Just to add to this, it came from the SPC700, which is why SNES audio rips tend to be given the file extension of ".spc". :)

Back