Gameboy Color Emulation

peteredge

Still Fresh
hey looking at the emulation thread, i was pretty suprised to see that nobody is working on a gameboy color emulator yet (it was a tremendously popular system after all). it would be great to have gb/gbc for launch, and i know that it should be fairly easy for a talented developer. after all, it didnt seem to take zodttd much time at all to get full speed gbc on the ipod touch/iphone -- the first beta release was almost perfect (and obviously the iphone platform is FAR less powerful than pandora).
and also, here are a couple ideas that could possibly be implemented with the power and flexibilty of the pandora:
-i saw someone mention this in another thread, but customizable "frames" that decorate the empty areas on the sides of the screen (since the gbc screen is far less wide than the pandora's will be)
-link functionality? there are pc emulators that support this, such as tgb dual, and there may be some way to implement something similar
-super game boy support- this is supported by various pc emulators, it allows for some original gameboy phat games (such as pokemon and kirby) to be played in color
-gameshark cheat support

so if somebody is interested in porting it to the pandora, or if anyone has any news on that front, that would be great. this is my favorite portable game system :) :) :)

Over in Emulators - What Will Work it's stated that Exophase might be working on a Gameboy Advance emulator, which in theory is backward-compatible with older GameBoys... Now not having coded any emulators, I can't say whether one must jump through hoops to specifically emulate the backward-compatibility, or whether the GBA, once emulated has GBC and GB support in its very firmware/BIOS/ROM...

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be pretty good to have, you should also include cheat functionality (how else am I supposed to beat Giovanni?).

sverm said:
Over in Emulators - What Will Work it's stated that Exophase might be working on a Gameboy Advance emulator, which in theory is backward-compatible with older GameBoys... Now not having coded any emulators, I can't say whether one must jump through hoops to specifically emulate the backward-compatibility, or whether the GBA, once emulated has GBC and GB support in its very firmware/BIOS/ROM...

gpsp, exophases gba emulator, is not backwards compatible. the reason the gameboy advance system is backwards compatible is that it actually has gameboy color hardware inside

gnargoyle11 said:
the reason the gameboy advance system is backwards compatible is that it actually has gameboy color hardware inside

Wow - is that how they achieved that? Oh dear, now that does sound like it would be jumping through hoops, combining multiple different ports of emulators into a Frankenstein creation.

Might as well wait and see if anyone decides to try their hand at porting the older GameBoys. I think the Pandora will have so much to offer off the bat and with the open community just cranking out stuff, it'll be the little box that keeps on giving.

If a GBC emu isn't available at launch, I'm sure it will be soon after. Don't worry about that one.

Username said:
This would be pretty good to have, you should also include cheat functionality (how else am I supposed to beat Giovanni?).
oh yeah gameshark is a must have. Gotta get my surfing pikachu

I'd like to say a big "+1" for this one, too, I must admit. :p

But also...

gnargoyle11 said:
-super game boy support- this is supported by various pc emulators, it allows for some original gameboy phat games (such as pokemon and kirby) to be played in color
I hate to nitpick, but to the best of my knowledge the Super Game Boy isn't really and truly properly supported by any emulators that I know of. There was more to the Super Game Boy than just adding colours to older games. ;)

Some emulators support the colour palettes and Super Game Boy borders, sure, but none that I'm aware of support the other features it offered. For example, I know of no emulator that plays back the speech and alternate ending tune from Game Boy Donkey Kong, and I'm fairly sure none out there support the way the Game Boy Space Invaders release turns into a SNES Space Invaders instead when played in a Super Game Boy... On a less fancy note, I can't seem to think of any support out there for the way Street Fighter II and Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman allowed the use of the SNES' own joypad ports and multitaps when their respective multiplayer modes were accessed on a Super Game Boy.

Again, I stress that this is to the best of my knowledge, although I really haven't heard of anything supporting this stuff. :p

I must say, I would be most happy and impressed if anyone finally dealt with these things. :)

Tinnus said:
Litte John has GB/GBC, so that's coming if I get LJ to the Pandora ;)
Awesome. :D Thanks muchly for this info, Tinnus.

i don't know about support but i'm hoping for some super gameboy functionality especially adding color for playing metroid 2 :)

sverm said:
gnargoyle11 said:
the reason the gameboy advance system is backwards compatible is that it actually has gameboy color hardware inside

Wow - is that how they achieved that? Oh dear, now that does sound like it would be jumping through hoops, combining multiple different ports of emulators into a Frankenstein creation.

Yep, If I recall correctly that is why the GB Micro dropped GBC support, lack of space.

I was asking about this one a while back. I'm still shocked to see that nobody has even expressed intent to emulate, but maybe there's no need because it takes like 2 hours to port it over lol :p

gnargoyle11 said:
gpsp, exophases gba emulator, is not backwards compatible. the reason the gameboy advance system is backwards compatible is that it actually has gameboy color hardware inside
That explains a lot, like why the NDS doesn't have it.

Username said:
gnargoyle11 said:
That explains a lot, like why the NDS doesn't have it.

I always wondered why the DS couldn't play GB/GBC games... now I know.

As far as I know all versions of the GBA, including the chip inside DS have support for GBC. I'm pretty sure the GBA uses this extra cpu (apparently part of the main GBA chip) as sound hardware.

Back