Game Concept

gaterooze

Coltrane Sundia
Website
Visit site
I'm no coder, but I thought of a Puzzle/Reflex game concept today which sounds appealing, to me at least. If anyone's interested in running with this, go for it :)

Split-screen vertically, so you have two play-areas side-by-side, each one a scrolling grid (akin to Vektar?). On the left side, you control a small sprite, perhaps even a dot. On the right is a similar dot, but this one is controlled by the CPU. Both dots move along, leaving a trail behind them like in Tron, however you can move in all directions, utilizing the GP2X's 8-way joystick.

Nothing new so far, right? Okay, here's the interesting part:

The dot on the right moves in a certain way, and your goal is to match its movements. If it goes up, you go up. If it does a circle, you do the same, and so on. It plays sort of like a rhythm game, a la Beat2X or Guitar Heroes, Parappa the Rappa, etc.

Then at the end of the level, the playfield zooms out (on both sides), revealing the lines which both sprites have drawn. The one on the right will be a perfect picture, like in Picross or an Etch-a-Sketch, maybe a flower or a jagged pyramid or an elephant, whatever is programmed in. The one on the left, the one that you drew, could be very close to the picture, or it could look like a squiggly mess, depending on how good your reflexes were. You will score points according to how close your picture looks compared to the CPU-controlled one. A certain amount of points (or percentage of closeness, say 70%) will unlock the next level.

I guess you'd say it's a cross between Tron/Snakes and Beat2X. Perhaps the sound can even match the movements with beats whenever the CPU changes direction? It would also be very easy to design your own levels (yes, I can see certain people making giant penises and boobies...).

Anyone else think that would be fun to play around with?

sounds cool, though i dont know how well it would work with gp's stick. If not on the gp id love to see that on something

To the bloke who PMed me about making ths game:

I sent a couple of PMs back but I'm not sure if they got through (they don't show up in my sent box). I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you :)

So, yes, it's absolutely fine by me and I would love to see what you do with it (I love your other games)!

Drop me a message if you want a beta tester or any help..

To the bloke who PMed me about making ths game:

I sent a couple of PMs back but I'm not sure if they got through (they don't show up in my sent box). I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you :)

So, yes, it's absolutely fine by me and I would love to see what you do with it (I love your other games)!

Drop me a message if you want a beta tester or any help..

Hi gaterooze! I was that man. I did get your PMs - but forgot to reply! Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds cool, though i dont know how well it would work with gp's stick. If not on the gp id love to see that on something
Well, maybe add an option to control the game with the four buttons. They are similar to a d-pad.
Very very nice game idea. Some gameplay enhancements, some nice music and graphics and I could even see this becoming an original commercial title. B)
It should definately have user created levels. Also cool would be different skins with each level having it's own skin for the game elements.
Drawing all the time would be a little boring. How about taking a hint from Ouendan and making one level consist of three or four drawing sequences with animated story parts in between?
And there would also have to be one button mashing gameplay element. The L and R buttons would be perfect for this: When a special icon appears on the screen, you start mashing L and/or R as fast as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back