Game Boy Studio - create your own games

FBnil

They'll own everything and be miserable.
A quick and easy to use drag and drop retro game creator for your favourite handheld video game system.

Opinions? Is this cheating?

I've only been able to find footage of deadaus on youtube so far, and it looks to me a 2D RPG like Zelda-ish affair. I suspect at least one of the other headlines games is like that from the screenshot. If that's the sort of game you want to make then that's fair enough, but I wouldn't count this as a good studio to use if you wanted to make a shmup or a racing game.

That's a pretty cool concept but it's no good for learning about the hardware that you're developing for. And it seems like it's closed source and thus will result in lock-in.

The matching Github for this seems to be MIT-Licensed.

Edit: That doesn't stop lock-in happening, although the outcomes of that would be less costly in monetary terms. I'm not sure if matters all that much for games though, especially ones that run on resource constrained devices, so must pretty much be machine code.

Thanks for the feedback.

GB being a platform I never looked at (used it as just a consumer), I thought it was nice to have a rapid development tool.
Toying around a bit it seems indeed very cRPG oriented (i.e. not flexible at all to make something else), and there's something funky with the overlay and collissions (does feel a bit off, I guess because GB rpg games, for example, daikatana, actually always adhered to walking in 8 pixels, so there was never the problem of 1 pixel-off collision). This means that you can not make narrow corridors with this and make the walking feel easy and natural.
Then again, this other game made with the engine shows that with a little imagination, you can make other type of games.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and I found GBStudio by playing this fantastic melancholic game (hits you deep in the heart):

And here is a nice little advice on how to handle NPC's (and I agree with them)

Last edited:
Back