Fun With My New Gp2x, And Some Questions...

starbase1

Still Fresh
Website
www.starbase1.co.uk
Well, I may have only had it for a few days, but I am absolutely delighted with my GP2X. It is taking a little getting used to, but even so, absolutely great.

The first seriously impressive thing was when I got video over - very nice to view, easy to move within a video, and it even remembers where I was if I get interrupted. I have seen video ipods, and I like this more. I also really like being able to carry spare batteries and extra SD cards, which is pretty rare in proprietary systems.

The next seriously impressive thing was when I got the Megadrive emulator installed - now the old spectrum games were fun but have not worn too well in most cases. The MD stuff though seems very nearly as good as I remember it, particularly the 'sonic' games. I mainly want to use my GP2X on boring journeys, and the kind of games you get into fast and play in short bursts are ideal for this.

I have got a few questions though...

The sound seems very inconsistent, and often my GP2X does not respond to the volume control - is this normal, or have I got a faulty unit, (or am I using it wrong?).

With the DrMD, I read the notes in the text file, but it does not seem to cover anywhere near all the options when it starts up. Also is it possible to save where you were in a game, for example to preserve high scores?

And it would be very handy to use the 2 x GP2X shoulder buttons in some games - for example they seem ideally suited to pinball games, (a personal favourite). Is this pssible in any way? :p

Nick

Might I suggest Picodrive .964 for MD games, I think it supports save states.

Picodrive 1.2 is for SegaCD /MegaCD.

I am sure DrMD supports savestates, that is what it is called to save a copy of the RAM so that you can continue where you were/as you were.

Buttons, if there is a button configuration (there is in Picodrive), select it and then press your desired button as the screen prompts you.

Picodrive seems to be the new standard simply because of more encompassing support. USB joypads work in it for example, if you wanted to play Toejam and Earl with a friend.

starbase1 posted on Mar 20 2007 at 08:27 PM said:
Well, I may have only had it for a few days, but I am absolutely delighted with my GP2X. It is taking a little getting used to, but even so, absolutely great.

The first seriously impressive thing was when I got video over - very nice to view, easy to move within a video, and it even remembers where I was if I get interrupted. I have seen video ipods, and I like this more. I also really like being able to carry spare batteries and extra SD cards, which is pretty rare in proprietary systems.

The next seriously impressive thing was when I got the Megadrive emulator installed - now the old spectrum games were fun but have not worn too well in most cases. The MD stuff though seems very nearly as good as I remember it, particularly the 'sonic' games. I mainly want to use my GP2X on boring journeys, and the kind of games you get into fast and play in short bursts are ideal for this.

I have got a few questions though...

The sound seems very inconsistent, and often my GP2X does not respond to the volume control - is this normal, or have I got a faulty unit, (or am I using it wrong?).

With the DrMD, I read the notes in the text file, but it does not seem to cover anywhere near all the options when it starts up. Also is it possible to save where you were in a game, for example to preserve high scores?

And it would be very handy to use the 2 x GP2X shoulder buttons in some games - for example they seem ideally suited to pinball games, (a personal favourite). Is this pssible in any way? :p

Nick

DrMD is discontinued, you should try Picodrive :) It uses both CPU, you can quicksave/quickload with shoulder buttons, and you can use in-game saves!
Other famous emulators are PocketSNES for SNES, gpsp for GBA, GnGeo for Neogoe, Mame for arcade, Cps2emu for CPS2... THey are all very good, except for gpsp which is still in intensive work, but already runs like a charm :)

Volume control is handled by applications : in Picodrive you can use buttons directly to change control, in Duke Nukem you have to go into the options, because they are used for other actions$
Same goes for shoulder buttons : some programs make use of them, others not. Quake for example, use them for strafing, PocketSNES uses them for the SNES shoulder buttons, Picodrive uses them for saving/loading...
You could always find an emulated pinbal game (like SOnic Spinball on Genesis) and remap the keys to the shoulder buttons, if the programs allows it. Picodrive, for example, lets you remap your keys (if I remember well)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the fast tips - much appreciated. I guess I tried the DrMD first and it seemed to work! I'll definitely give picodrive a go.

I also intend to try the playstation emulator that came with it, (if I can tear myself away from Dragon's fury), though it looks like the roms are going to be difficult to get legally...

Nick

starbase1 posted on Mar 20 2007 at 10:17 PM said:
Thanks for the fast tips - much appreciated. I guess I tried the DrMD first and it seemed to work! I'll definitely give picodrive a go.

I also intend to try the playstation emulator that came with it, (if I can tear myself away from Dragon's fury), though it looks like the roms are going to be difficult to get legally...

Nick

The PSX emu is a work in progress, so don't expect too much yet...

starbase1 posted on Mar 21 2007 at 06:27 AM said:
And it would be very handy to use the 2 x GP2X shoulder buttons in some games - for example they seem ideally suited to pinball games
gPSP2X (GBA) uses shoulder buttons. Mario Pinball is fun. Use manual frame skip 1 (auto frame skip isn't quite ready yet on this emu). There are other pinball games on GBA platform also.

Back