full OMAP5 documentation

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
I don't know if that's intended, but TI has put up full OMAP543x Technical Reference Manual on it's site, which includes full documentation for video decoder and everything:

http://www.ti.com/product/OMAP5432/technicaldocuments

Of course SGX is still undocumented, I guess Imgtech doesn't give docs for that to anyone at all (maybe except Apple)..

Edit: the "interesting" doc has been pulled down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: olf
Maybe they see the value in the Open Pandora and Open Pyra and that these two devices have influenced TI's decision to do so?  Imgtech, are you going to follow this great example of TI and release that damn technical document for your PowerVR SGX? :)   (No, maybe not because Apple will cut its umbillical cord :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if that's intended, but TI has put up full OMAP543x Technical Reference Manual on it's site, which includes full documentation for video decoder and everything:

http://www.ti.com/product/OMAP5432/technicaldocuments

Of course SGX is still undocumented, I guess Imgtech doesn't give docs for that to anyone at all (maybe except Apple)..

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and I have no idea if you are legally allowed to download that document, I'm not endorsing anyone to download it. So if you break any laws I cannot be held responsible, I'm just quoting contents from official website's public accessible page and linking to it.
When trying to download any of those even ones marked as public it prompts me to log in with my Ti account.. I have been cleared to read these documents, so not a big deal on my part. 

Two of them are open, look at views on the right. 

Is that one 50Mb? geez that wont ever finish. 

Are the files that require a log in worth it? 

Is that one 50Mb? geez that wont ever finish. 

Are the files that require a log in worth it?
They are useless to you unless you want to write very low level software.So as long as notaz and some other core members of the Pyra team have those docs it's fine.

Not what i wanted to know T4b...

It was more: Do the other 3 files contain information that are not covered in the big technical reverence? 

He, i cannot download the file anyway. Too big, the connection gets closed after 7 Mb. 

What does "Mobile TV" mean? Is it supposed to support ATSC/DVB-T? That would be sweet!

So they really where interesting, too bad bad i had no chance to download them.

And who had let them now? Traitor!

I'm sure there is no way someone here who downloaded it legally while it was available could give it to you, so I guess you are just too late...

That was the one marked [NDA]. Compared to the one that is available (marked [Public]) it contains full documentation for video decoder (and maybe some other minor things).

Ah, so the now missing documentation is on the video decoder. That's disappointing, it could have been useful, although if I'm being entirely honest it probably wouldn't have gotten much use anytime soon. Maybe by the time the Pyra is out and someone with an interest in writing codecs comes around it'll be made available again.

Could just sign the NDA to get hold of it, and write your own closed source driver.

The way I see it, there are parts of OMAP5 that won't get any use - like the video decoder, the DSP and the imaging subsystem.

And it's not because of lack of documentation (which is true only for the video decoder if you didn't download the file when it was available).

It's because those parts are usable only by few applications and there aren't people interested and able to utilize them (or the advantage of using those parts is small compared to just using the CPU). In the DSP's case it's also because the DSP is a cut down version of the DSP in Pandora.

The most probable part to be utilized (apart from the standard ones like CPU, GPU, ...) is the pair of Cortex-M4's, because they are potentially usable by more applications and it's easier to use them. And even here I'm not keeping my hopes very high.

Of course if I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

I absolutely plan to use the M4s. My company writes software for M4 cores and I'm hoping to convince my boss that it'd be worthwhile to have it running on an OMAP5 board as a demonstration. Once I'm paid to learn how to use them I won't feel like a shit trying to do it in my free time and I may actually come up with something useful. That's my hypothesis anyway, we'll see how it works in practice once I've actually got a Pyra.

Back