Frontier: Elite 2 -- Is It Possible To Port This?

frontier 2 was *such* a crap game I just could not conceive why anyone would want it...

I waited *years* for that crap and it ended up being written by the wrong author of the two!

In trying to make it "realistic" all the very unrealistic but very cool dog fighting to be had in Elite was destroyed

I really wish Ian Bell would give up karate and make a cross platform space trader for the modern day!

chris_c said:
frontier 2 was *such* a crap game I just could not conceive why anyone would want it...

I waited *years* for that crap and it ended up being written by the wrong author of the two!

In trying to make it "realistic" all the very unrealistic but very cool dog fighting to be had in Elite was destroyed

I really wish Ian Bell would give up karate and make a cross platform space trader for the modern day!

Frontier was amazingly cool. Pulling off gravity-assisted slingshots around a sun? Easy! Dog-fighting was fantastic fun too, once you'd mastered the inertia. And way more missions, massively updated graphics, ability to land on planets... A very worthy successor to Elite (which I also loved to death). I'll second a request for a port of GLFrontier to the Panda!

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
Frontier was amazingly cool. Pulling off gravity-assisted slingshots around a sun? Easy! Dog-fighting was fantastic fun too, once you'd mastered the inertia. And way more missions, massively updated graphics, ability to land on planets... A very worthy successor to Elite (which I also loved to death). I'll second a request for a port of GLFrontier to the Panda!

D.

I fully agree, although i've never thought about trying gravity assisted slingshots :p

And anyone know what the GP2X version of Frontier was based on? Cant find it anywhere, and it cant be GLFrontier since as far as i know the GP2X does not have hardware acceleration. If that's an SDL clone, i might be able to port it myself. just thinkin.

Cheers!

Possible stupid question here...

Why port it? Isn't the amiga version pretty much the definitive version? So just play that.

stustaff said:
Possible stupid question here...

Why port it? Isn't the amiga version pretty much the definitive version? So just play that.

The Amiga version was certainly the original, the PC version was a complete rewrite sticking very close to the original 68k source (Frontier was written entirely in 68k Asm, iirc). However, it needed a decent Amiga to run at an acceptable speed - a basic 1200 wouldn't cut it, and you'd not get anywhere with less than a 28mhz 68030.

The PC version was graphically superior with quite a lot of extra texture mapping that the Amiga at that time couldn't handle. I'd love to see the PC version ported rather than the ST version to be honest, as the engine was technically superior.

D.

If you're all good girls & boys, when I've got my Pandora back and done the lastest Firefox releases, this is next on my todo list.

hdonk said:
If you're all good girls & boys, when I've got my Pandora back and done the lastest Firefox releases, this is next on my todo list.

Good news indeed :D

hdonk said:

Sounds good to me, looking forward to it :)

MarkoeZ said:
hdonk said:

Sounds good to me, looking forward to it :)
Good news: I managed to get a cross compiled build.
Bad news: There were some assertions in the linker stage, but a binary was still created. Strange.
Bad news: Pandora had to go back again, so I can't try it :angry:

Bad news: There were some assertions in the linker stage, but a binary was still created. Strange.

It's a start. Thanks for doing this!

Clyborg

hdonk said:

Aaah, well indeed, it's progress!!

Thanks man, patiently waiting. :)
Cheers!

p.s. if you need someone to test, pm me.

Bampt said:
just a bump to this thread
to know if hdonk has got his pandora back...
I am really looking forward to a port of elite 2
Back and rotated out again :(
I did manage to try my build though - invalid GLX profile I think it was... I'll be looking at it in proper detail on the next Pandy.

sorry to hear that,
for me it is a hard thing to turn off the pandora, so that must be a real pain :(
Hope you get your Pandora back soon
and thanks that you are trying to port this delicious piece of a game. :)

hdonk said:
Bampt said:
I did manage to try my build though - invalid GLX profile I think it was... I'll be looking at it in proper detail on the next Pandy.

Bump: Any news yet hdonk? I'm salavating at the chance to play Frontier on the Pandora. The Amiga version is too slow as soon as anything attacks you.

BaDToaD said:
hdonk said:
Bampt said:

Bump: Any news yet hdonk? I'm salavating at the chance to play Frontier on the Pandora. The Amiga version is too slow as soon as anything attacks you.
I'm concentrating on getting the debug environment for Firefox together at the moment, but it hasn't been forgotten :cool:

Back