Frontier: Elite 2 -- Is It Possible To Port This?

clyborg

Still Fresh
http://www.atien.net/?static2/frontier

I know this can be emulated vis ST or Amiga emulators, but having a direct port might be better.

I hope a DEV here can look at this.

Thanks!!

Jason

This might be be a better port:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,2413

Jason

Oh, that game looks awesome.
I am becoming nostalgic for things I never heard of. When I ordered the Pandora, I thought it would pull me into gaming, a pleasant side-effect of an awesome umpc ((whatever you want to call it). But it's doing so already! I don't even OWN one yet!

I was hooked on the third installment on PC. This one was my favorite on the Amiga for YEARS.
B!

My all time favorite game is elite a game i would buy a Pandora for.
Always wanted to play this portable the Gameboy version was OK but i missed the keyboard (i did not even play it on a Gameboy i use a Gameboy emulator on a Archos gmini 400).
I never got really interested in Frontier but now i might give it a go (ported ore on a emulator).
That Frontier was ever ported to GP2X i was not aware of and it would be awesome to see it ported to the Pandora.
But i think Frontier and Elite would work perfect on one of the supported emulators.
Never the less i would love to see a port of Oolite.
http://www.oolite.org/

wow, if glfrontier can be compiled on linux, then it will work on pandora natively, 100%! Just a very little bit of porting effort required.

But is it Elite2, or some other version? (I want elite2)

cosurgi said:
wow, if glfrontier can be compiled on linux, then it will work on pandora natively, 100%! Just a very little bit of porting effort required.
Pandora won't have OpenGL, but OpenGL ES, so some work definitely is needed :)

But is it Elite2, or some other version? (I want elite2)
Frontier is Elite 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frontier was one of few games that I really was drawn into. It had such an atmosphere and it really felt like you were a space pirate. Good game indeed. A port to the Pandora and I would cry happy tears.

Pickle are you on it? :p

Well I've ported Oricutron to Angstrom, so it won't be much of a stretch to add the new l33t game (see defence-force.org/forums) to the list of "Elite"-like games to play .. ;)

Bump!!

Anyone? I have not done any gl to gles conversions yet, but very much looking forward to this game. So i hope someone else with more experience in that area is interested as well :)

Otherwise, i might have a go, but time is already so limited...

Cheers

p.s. GPFrontier through ginge does not work for me

MarkoeZ said:
Bump!!

Anyone? I have not done any gl to gles conversions yet, but very much looking forward to this game. So i hope someone else with more experience in that area is interested as well :)

Cheers

The bad news with OOlite is not so much opengl as it is objective-C which requires NextStep tools - basically I guess it could be done but with that chunk of dependencies it would be a royal pita!
didn't one of the guys release the asm source for the original elite - a genuine port would be nice - but i bet it would run just fine with dos box on the pandi...

chris_c said:
MarkoeZ said:
Bump!!

Cheers

The bad news with OOlite is not so much opengl as it is objective-C which requires NextStep tools - basically I guess it could be done but with that chunk of dependencies it would be a royal pita!
didn't one of the guys release the asm source for the original elite - a genuine port would be nice - but i bet it would run just fine with dos box on the pandi...

Ermmm, this is still about frontier, not oolite :) there is a port for the gp2x already, so how hard could it be :S

MarkoeZ said:
chris_c said:
MarkoeZ said:
Bump!!

Cheers

Ermmm, this is still about frontier, not oolite :) there is a port for the gp2x already, so how hard could it be :S

have you a url for the gp2x port of oolite I couldn't seem to find it?

chris_c said:
MarkoeZ said:
chris_c said:
MarkoeZ said:
Bump!!

Cheers

have you a url for the gp2x port of oolite I couldn't seem to find it?

There IS no port of OOLITE for the GP2x, since i am talking about FRONTIER, as stated in that post, lol
Major miscommunication here :p
Im not a native english speaker, so my sentences may sometimes have multiple interpretations possible.

Anyway, Cheers!

Back