Friq Release

sbseb88

Still Fresh
Today I decided it would be a good time to release a little game I programmed over the last few weeks. It's inspired by "Gimme Friction Baby" by Wouter Visser (see here).
This is the result so far:

friq-screens.png

Over at gp2x.info, someone asked for a port and I decided to try it. It's up to version beta 06, although not completely finished, it is ready for release.

The game does not really need an explanation, just start it up, you'll get the hang of it soon enough :)

When you start the game, you can press X to rotate the game, so you can either play it 320x240 or 240x320. Start and A start a game. Once ingame, stick up/down/left/right/click and A/B/X/Y fire the ball. Select immediately quits the game, start or volup+voldown return you to the intro screen.

Read the readme on how to add your own music.
The game can be found here.

A big thanks to the people who have playtested it and helped me with suggestions (rx_shorty & GP2X.info!) Thanks to yaustar for Code::Blocks RC 4, great work!

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks Sebastian, this game is even better then the original!

< shamelessly plugging the game >
Warning: this game is incredibly addictive!
It's a strange combination of slow & strategic gameplay.
The game is easy to understand, but very hard to master.
</ shamelessly plugging the game >

My fav. setting is twice rotated, so you play it with the A/B/X/Y buttons down.

Haven't played the original so this game is an interesting concept for me, Good fun to play aswell !

||Game Ideas||

You could make another mode where there are walls or objects to bounce off of, then disappearing on impact.
have you planned a score board ?

Overall Great game !

imhotep said:
Where was it ported from Sebastian? <curious>
No direct port; I got the idea from here. I coded the rest myself in. Thank you all for your kind replies :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great game. Love the subtle-but-nice effects. :)

One thing, though.. For me, it's rather hard to see the difference between red and orange at times. Perhaps it's a good idea to fiddle around a bit with the colours to make them easier to recognise?

Yup, it should be difficult ;) But 11 is a pretty high score!

I've uploaded beta 07 to the file archive, it should update soon. In the mean time, you can get it here. I've added "life mode" and you can change the colors now (see readme.txt for details :)).

It's a quick update, so please notify me if you spot any bugs.

I am having a lot of fun with this. Great to play when watching TV.

Are you going to improve further, e.g. destruction effects and numbers counting down 3..2..1.. like the flash game?

I'm glad you like it :)
imhotep said:
Are you going to improve further, e.g. destruction effects and numbers counting down 3..2..1.. like the flash game?
Not sure yet. The numbers are quite difficult to be done (well the rotation like the flash version has is difficult, the scaling can be done) and the destruction effect is now done with pixel particles, works good enough I think ;)

If anyone wants, I can release the source, though it's kind of messy because I'm not a pro-programmer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back