Fried Cpu With Emulator?!

pixelator

Still Fresh
I ran the latest [emu name removed by pix since it wasn't the cause of my problems], trying the faster version -- the screen started getting jittery and had a kind of 'low refresh' static effect. Reset, tried the slower one. Same problem.

NOW when I run the PCE emu (which worked fine before), I am getting the same static/jitter effect!

Is it common to damage a GP32 CPU just by running an overclocked emu like this? I've overclocked PPC and PalmOS devices for years - never had anything happen even remotely this bad. All I did was download and run , for crying out loud!

Edit: When I turn the sound off (in the PCE emu) the static/jitter goes away. I changed batteries - same problem. NOT happy... :angry:

RE-EDIT: Problem solved (thanks for the help!) - cheap batteries!

I ran the latest GigaDrive, trying the faster version -- the screen started getting jittery and had a kind of 'low refresh' static effect. Reset, tried the slower one. Same problem.

NOW when I run the PCE emu (which worked fine before), I am getting the same static/jitter effect!

Is it common to damage a GP32 CPU just by running an overclocked emu like this? I've overclocked PPC and PalmOS devices for years - never had anything happen even remotely this bad. All I did was download and run , for crying out loud!
It's very unlikely to be an overclocking problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
See edit - audio related. WTF is the problem?? Bad audio hardware? But it wasn't doing this before...

your batteries are running low :)
just this.

edit:sorry, just read the replies...
dunno...

I ran the latest GigaDrive, trying the faster version -- the screen started getting jittery and had a kind of 'low refresh' static effect. Reset, tried the slower one. Same problem.

Edit: When I turn the sound off (in the PCE emu) the static/jitter goes away. I changed batteries - same problem. NOT happy... :angry:
Exactly what does this effect look like? Is it a vertical bar of noise running vertical? Or is it just the screen kind of wavering faintly and/or noise which resembles a scratchy old film?

Some of these effects are "normal" depending on the emu/program. The C64 emu flickers a bit as well. I noticed a vertical bar of noise in Wolf 3d. It depends on the way the coder uses the display. It may have always been doing it you just didn't notice because of colors, the game etc.

I doubt you fried the CPU, if you did it would crash constantly, not cause static.

I had similar problems using very cheap batteries. When I switched to 2.3Ah rechargeables, the problems vanished.

Greetings,
SvOlli
That was it! I used some Panasonics I had in my GameGear and the problem vanished. Wow, that was a big relief. LOL

Thanks for the help, guys. gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console

Overclocking has never fried anyone's GP32, it just resets or crashes the GP32 if it goes too high, no damage is ever done at all. I take it you've tried new batteries by now, right?
Edit: too late :p

Exactly what does this effect look like? Is it a vertical bar of noise running vertical? Or is it just the screen kind of wavering faintly and/or noise which resembles a scratchy old film?

Some of these effects are "normal" depending on the emu/program. The C64 emu flickers a bit as well. I noticed a vertical bar of noise in Wolf 3d. It depends on the way the coder uses the display. It may have always been doing it you just didn't notice because of colors, the game etc.

I doubt you fried the CPU, if you did it would crash constantly, not cause static.
Yeah I had that, but don't worry no frying going on ;)

It always seems to be battery related so I have myself some nice rechargeables now so I won't getting confused anymore when devving GigaDrive

Yeah I had that, but don't worry no frying going on ;)

It always seems to be battery related so I have myself some nice rechargeables now so I won't getting confused anymore when devving GigaDrive
Speaking of Gigadrive I have just tried it on the BLU. Holy $#!+ it looks AWESOME on it. The colors are so crisp and snappy!

Back