Frets On Fire

Blah said:
Psycho et al. won't work because they're X86 only. Also I have no idea how or if 3D will be accessed on Python, but the way FoF does it will not work.
Psyco would be useless anyway since memory already is a bit of a problem.

Cython or Pyrex extensions get compiled to pure c and then to binaries. This method could be used both for speeding up the slow parts. I've tried it on rather large projects and it works great.

As for the 3D, it uses Pygame, which is a binding to SDL.

Last edited by a moderator:
And Pygame for its 3D binds to PyOGL which AFAIK is not ES 2.0 compatible. Besides the whole idea is ridiculous. How would you make the controls make any sense, even if you could make a handheld *specifically* for FoF? *I imagine a Virtual Boy with a guitar hooked up to it and shudder*

Blah said:
And Pygame for its 3D binds to PyOGL which AFAIK is not ES 2.0 compatible. Besides the whole idea is ridiculous. How would you make the controls make any sense, even if you could make a handheld *specifically* for FoF? *I imagine a Virtual Boy with a guitar hooked up to it and shudder*
And PyOGL binds to the opengl library available, which needs to be sorted out anyway. I was just saying that rewrites are usually a bad idea.

Never played the game cause it seems ridiculous in any form, but afaik there are usb toy guitar controllers.

cb88 said:
LOL someone actually took me seriously ....
Why not? There are 5 "fret" keys, right? Well - A B Y X + Shoulder. Then the Strum could be the analog sticks, or the touch screen, for that matter.

Or you could use a USB Guitar - or use a BT Dongle and a Wii Guitar...

It could be done.

I personally will be running Shredz64 on it, at the very least.

i'd think you'd have to plug in a keyboard for it to feel right.

Just imagine it. if you hold in (in your mind) the screen wouldn't be facing you.

heh I know :) just thought it was funny that somebody came along to "correct" my sarcasm....

IMO FOF is not practical however stepmania would work perfectly since you have the dpad and A B X Y

I mean i play it with the arrow keys and WASD no problem.... btw i could care less about a usb guitar me will haz a dance pad LOL

And yeah i could see using a usb keyboard or a ps2 /w usb adapter keyboard

The Pandora demands a cool stepmania port (or remake, you name it).
Playing it on the psp is a wonderful experience, it is called PSP Revolution and it really is kickass.
both dpad and buttons work in parallel and is the playability is awesome, even if it has nothing to do with the real mat dancing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Ulf0kuYDk

porting frets on fire could be troublesome, it's highly unoptimized.
yet, the idea behind the app is really not hard to recode.
so it's much better than messing with the existing code. =`]
ps: I droll over the idea of beeing possible to run a fretsonfire-like game with my rock band guitar (360, usb) connected to the Pandora (it could in fact accept any usb guitar) =`D it would be awesome!

I like FoF a lot (having it played for about 100 hours so far) but i really dont think it would make a great game on the pandora. then fun thing about it is the way you control it and it is way less funny when playing it on a laptop. I think devs can waste their time with better thinks then FoF.

Now that Guitar Hero is on the DS (and, yes, I've already bought it) - now can we port Frets onto the Pandora?

PokeParadox said:
FoF is horrendously inoptimal, due to it's Python usage. I think if someone were to port it, they would be better changing much of the code to C/C++.
Seconded. FoF isnt particularly fast. At least some code needs to be rewritten.

uurrr this thread is kinda old....

FretsonFire = good game bad implementation therefore bad idea for the pandora
Stepmania = good game better implementation better on pandora controls

stemania has some pretty far out effects too... for making it more difficult

one big problem with both is no opengl es as far as i know... so a port would have to be done

FoF is great but sorry, it has massive memory leaks. Play any mod based on the -451 version, and the memory usage will soar. I can never play more than 4 different songs on Alarian (mod) without hanging up completely on my computer with 512MB of ram and 256MB of swap.

I say someone should start a homebrew project. the songs used by FoF are only .midi files, so it shouldn't be hard to read them. plus FoF is open source so we can just look through it.

even the latest version (-521) has memory leaks still. there are no mods for -521 but the memory usage still climbs song after song (albeit lesser than -451).

oh and those saying the controls just don't work, wrong: use a mini USB keyboard. i carry one around to use with my laptop =p

cb88 said:
FretsonFire = good game bad implementation therefore bad idea for the pandora
Stepmania = good game better implementation better on pandora controls

stemania has some pretty far out effects too... for making it more difficult
You forget one thing:
Stepmania=Dance Dance Revolution clone
Frets on Fire=Guitar Hero clone

DDR≠Guitar Hero

And why not a port of Guitar Fun?

It was developed for the PS2, and there is a port for the Wii and PC, and the source is avaliable

Zoppe said:
(i would like a imni gutar controller tough)
*starts working on hacking up an old usb kb for the controller*

I would want to get a toy guitar and hack some usb pad to use it on frets on fire/guitar fun. But I can't find one.

Someone already have done that, I saw it on some blog or youtube

:D

@PlopperZ i get what you are saying but ... what is the difference picking a fake guitar is just as stupid looking as DDR can be (specially with my coordination) ... fun though i must say LOL

both games basically have the same gameplay on the keyboard though... only slightly different

cb88 said:
@plopperz i get what you are saying but ... what is the difference picking a fake guitar is just as stupid looking as DDR can be (specially with my coordination) ... fun though i must say LOL

both games basically have the same gameplay on the keyboard though... only slightly different
It's not like we can't have both. I find them to have two very different styles of gameplay. I'm fairly good at DDR, but I can barely do hard on Guitar Hero. I'd like to how FoF makes use of the Pandora's controls, it'd be neat to see it have a control scheme similar to the new Guitar Hero: On Tour (which kicks ass BTW). Holding it sideways, using the 'X C V B N' keys as frets and strumming with the touch screen.
I dunno, just an idea.
I'd download both.

Back