Round Em Up Alpha 2

I have uploaded a new test version of the game with the latest touchscreen code which should be very accurate now. Here are the list of changes so far, please note this is not a proper release so don't post as news:

- Touchscreen support added.
I do not have a F-200 so I have no idea how accurate it is. Some menu options may be a little tricky to activate with the touchscreen so please use the joypad for this instead and let me know where it needs some changes for touchscreen.

- Repeat item after use added
For now I have made this a configurable option, by default it is enabled and it basically keeps a Special Item activated after it has been used in the game. You can press the X button or the Special icon to deactivate it. If this option is disabled, the Special will be deactivated after one use. You can find the setting in the Options -> Controls menu.

- Reset Level option added
Added a Reset Level option in the Pause Menu. Does exactly what it says :)

Any feedback on the touchscreen usage with this latest build is much appreciated. Let me know if there are any options that are hard to select, or if the cursor in the game gets in the way or anything else. And if there are any minor changes you want in the next build let me know, things like level reset etc.

You can download the latest gpe build here. As before, download the Alpha 2 release from the archive and copy over the new gpe.

I am in a rush for work but yesterday I was trying to create a level and noticed two problems:

1.) backspace wouldn't work on the filename entry keyboard

2.) on one screen it said "Press R shoulder to skip to OK" but you actually had to press L shoulder. I might be mixing those up.

Thanks for trying it, the second error is a change in the sdl libs between my build and paeryns so its easy to fix, I wouldn't have spotted it so nice find :) The backspace bug will be fixed in the next release.

Yep, touch screen reacts a lot better! No problems anymore on the edge of the screens and selecting menu in the editor. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have uploaded alpha 3 to the gp2x archive so I will post the news when its been updated there.

I have came to the decision that this will be the last release of the game. First I want to say thanks to everyone that took the time to play the game and submit ideas and bug reports and also especially to Alex who created a level for the game, it is all much appreciated. I don't know if it is just me being unrealistic but I was hoping for more support in the way of ideas, custom levels etc. While updating the game on the archive page I noticed there has only been 160 downloads of the game which is a bit disappointing for me so I have to weigh up the amount of time I spend for something that not many people are going to be interested in.

I will have a JXD in the next couple of weeks so I may do some coding on that or take a break and maybe code on the new console from Craig when it is out. It should give me some time to think up some new game ideas which hopefully everyone will like :)

Thanks again to everyone that replied here, even if just to say they like the game, it makes it all worthwhile for me even to read that!

Yeah, it seems all the new F200 users are emu-crazy. And all the transient "oooh-that's-shiny-me-like" F100 folks are long gone. So there's us :D I am gonna make a custom level sometime soon, but it's not my forte (programming is my creative outlet). Thanks for the release.. Did your GP32 games always get a better response, or were they usually around the same?

Its mainly round em up that hasn't got much interest, probably the game is not to everyone's liking so there is not much point in continuing it.

I have been toying with the idea of updating one of my first games I ported to the GP2X, Yahtzee. Its mainly because the port was very quick and I want a better version to play. So I will add mouse/touchscreen support and generally tart things up so it looks a bit nicer. Might start work on it during the week if I get a chance and see what state the source code is in from my port of gp32 version to gp2x and sdl.

I'm sure some people are 'scared' by the word Alpha. They probably think it's little more than a game skeleton or an early prototype. Which is a real shame, because as I understand the community used to like being early adopters of both hardware and software.

I would have made more levels, but I held off due to lack of time and because I thought that maybe you'd add more items to the editor. I'll definitely whip a couple more in the winter holidays and post them in the game's topic. Thanks again for making this, like I said before it's very original and fun to play. :)

Hello, I'm new to the GP2X and I wanted to say thanks for this game. Forgive my ignorance, I haven't tried the level editor yet, but can anyone make a level and post it here?

Thanks,
Mike

Alex, you could be right. If you think alpha you think of it as a very unfinished game full of bugs etc. The game should be pretty much bug free now and is very playable so maybe should be a v0.1 release or something.

killersquirrel, yeah feel free to make some levels and post them here. if/when there are a few I will add them to the game and update the download.

Guyfawkes said:
While updating the game on the archive page I noticed there has only been 160 downloads of the game which is a bit disappointing for me so I have to weigh up the amount of time I spend for something that not many people are going to be interested in.
I think your primary drive should be to make something you like yourself and like doing. And if you've given 160 people a fun time installing and trying your creation that should be a nice bonus.

Personally I did have fun trying it, but lost interest because there were some other great releases like: the totally amazing Tileworld2x, a new version of Blastriot (superb!), Boomshine2x, Scummvm (so sweet with touch screen), Cave Copter (addictive simpleness).

You've got some competition there ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back