Freedo Gp2x

Shadowsithe said:
Definitely good to hear a little "I'm still here" every now and then.
If he releases a great product I can wait. Probably better to register on http://www.freedo.org/ and ask questions about the emu there.

Last edited by a moderator:
b._.o._.b said:
Shadowsithe said:
Definitely good to hear a little "I'm still here" every now and then.
If he releases a great product I can wait. Probably better to register on http://www.freedo.org/ and ask questions about the emu there.

Odd, he doesn't include the Gp2x in the project status screen. I wonder why?

Suspicious lot :)
All seems above board from what I've seen - just strange having a dev that doesn't post here often I guess... then again he did post May 17 a fair few details.

DaveC said:
I just hope it would be able to "simulate" Monster Manor, PO-ed, maybe Shockwave. I think Killing time would be too much though, a real 3DO couldn't even run it without alot of frameskip :p
Fortunetly, the main games Admin@FreeDO uses to test the accuracy of FreeDO is PO'ed and Killing Time, so I think the chances of these games working is very good. :)

Exophase said:
I want to know that too.. I've heard a few emu authors say they're "simulating rather than emulating" but in the end it has meant almost nothing.
This is exactly what Admin@FreeDO told me when I asked him about this question: "hmm.... that what it means--- simulation of the hardware rather than emulation :) "

Is this a little insubstantial? Maybe :p

Squidge said:
Could we have more info than "going really well" ? I assume from your later comment that the emu/sim already has sound? In which case, how fast is it going currently, whats the current computability rate? will there be an alpha soon?
I'm guessing he isn't ready to do a detailed progress report becuase he didn't give me one. It seems that the port is pretty far along though, so a more aproppriate update may happen sometime in the near future.

Jaguarandine said:
I'm guessing he isn't ready to do a detailed progress report becuase he didn't give me one. It seems that the port is pretty far along though, so a more aproppriate update may happen sometime in the near future.
A more appropriate update may happen sometime in the future? So he may think about an announcement of a date of an announcement :p This is sounding more and more like the longest running April fool's joke ever ;)

While the technical details given sound a feasible way to go (not easy but looking like it could be a sucessful (in emulation quality) way) there is still no announcement on the site that a port is under development. Only the port for pocket pc is noted.

Well, there is some news about this project for you guys. Admin@FreeDO has not been able to work on FreeDO the last few months due to more important things becoming his priority. As the only remaining member of the FreeDO team still working on the project, it would be very difficult to meet all FreeDO obligations in a reasonable amount of time.

So, Admin thought it would be ok to ask the GP2X development community if anyone here wants to take the reigns of FreeDO. This would mean not only being responsible for the GP2X version, but also the entire FreeDO codebase. You would oversee the main PC version and other versions should you so desire. Admin will entertain proposals at the FreeDO forums, so register there first and then PM him.

It would be great to see this project completed, and it would put Admin's mind at ease that a competent coder (or coders) could take over as opposed to dozens of shoddy ports being released with no improvements. Admin is also consdering releasing the full GP2X source as well (NDA'ed and all), so there could be some others gains made by the community.

There is a thread about this topic on the FreeDO forums for those of you who are registered.

http://www.freedo.org/forum2/index.php?topic=1423.0

To summarize everything in couple of words -- project is in hold now. Here are the details:
3do-scene.com --- the guy who was responsible for site design and info convertion got a new job and has no time to deal with it anymore. We're stuck here
FreeDO 2.0 -- was in works till a february -- now i don't have a time to work on it. Emulator coding requires great deal of free time, which i will not have now.
FreeDO for GP2X -- same status as above
FreeDO for MacOSX -- it's complete, but for PowerPC platform only -- it runs painfully slow on intel macs with rosetta.
FreeDO for DC -- buggy, and silent... alas -- no sound emulation.
FreeDO in Verilog (FPGA) -- video portion is buggy -- lack of transparency. CPU and DSP are running well. Requires original Toshiba VRAM (for now)
IDE/USB-OTG for FZ-1 and others -- initial software and hardware prooved to be working, however i still need to code advanced GUI for the console itself....
The biggest problem is lack of time and lack of help. Right now i'm also single dad. That means -- i will not have enough time to dedicate to the project to move on. Considering all that i'm thinking about releasing the sources.
Please -- don't forget to comment your votes... it will help me to decide.

interesting reading the post and status on the ports

Back