Freedo Gp2x

PO'ed was one of my favourite games on the 3DO too! I loved the hand that wiped all the blood off the screen after you'd been sticking a drill in someone's chest.

Ah, good times... :)

Here is a piece of 3DO memorabilia you don't see everyday. It is a copy of D for the 3DO signed by Kenji Eno.

d23do.JPG

Jaguarandine posted on Mar 2 2007 at 03:30 AM said:
Nice DaveC! How'd you manage that?

long story. To make it brief I used to test a few "Panasonic interactive" games for the head guy there and he sent it to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woeeii a 3do emu, specialy build for gp2x hardware without the linux kernel, this sound very cool ^^, seem Gp2x is Heading to Cool things on and on ^^

Big ThanX for the time you putt into this ^^
I'm sure i gonna donate for this if it works a little.

Greetzzz... Jaylink ^^

Admin@FreeDO is currently busy with work-related things. I'd expect some new info by the end of the month/early June.

As for any other news, I have learned a few interesting things. The video processor in the GP2X is being used as a math coprocessor in FreeDO:

they are using fixed point
basically uint32
but 16 bit is used as integer portion
and 16bit as fraction
this format is called 16.16
there's also 12.20 format
where 20 bit is fraction

I would've asked more, but this info was slightly over my head :) What I might ask next time, is how much this operation speeds up the emulator as opposed to one of the CPUs trying to handle it.

Thankfully, no GP2X bottlenecks have presented themselves so far and everything is going as according to plan. No timeline yet, but things are progressing nicely.

Using the second processor for fixed point maths? Isn't that a little pointless? There would be more time spent in handshaking between the two processors than actual work. Simple 16.16 fpo's are best done on the 920 as they are easy and fast.

Not sure if you need an interpreter to figure out he's thinking you're full of it jaguar.

I actually meant using the video processor, aka the video encoder/decoder chip for fixed point maths. The 920 and 940 are used for the CPU, VDPs, sound, etc.

As for proof, there has already been an announcement on the FreeDO forums regarding the GP2X version from Admin himself. If that doesn't make it believable I don't know what else to say.

Maybe it would be best if I refrain from bumping this topic further until there is some real, solid news.

I assume your not a developer then Jaguarandine, as using the video encoder/decoder chip for fixed point maths is insane.

However, speeding up 3d operations by using the video decoding registers built into the mmsp2 would make more sense (ie, matrix operations).

Maybe you are confused?

Yes, I'm no developer. I did assume that the video encoder/decoder chip might be able to help with fixed or maybe even floating point operations (there's a post in the gp32x forums that says as much), by doing some simple maths.

It's possible I misinterpreted what he said. If he's interested, I'll try and get FreeDO Admin back on here to clear it up and answer a few questions.

I also didn't realise you are relaying news, I figured you were porting FreeDO to the GP2X yourself.

Checked www.freedo.org and saw no mention of the gp2x, though it may be a really outdated site?

Though when I checked the wiki.gp2x.org for "3DO Emulation" I see this:
"
On someone's suggestion, Jaguarandine decided to come up with some reasons on why a 3DO emulator is a good idea. Here they are:
* Psx will not be 100% (btw, this isn't a knock on the Psx4gp2x emu guys; I think they're doing a fantastic job)
The PSX emulator is coming along nicely, however, full speed for many games is in the distant future. Games available on both platforms are more likely to run faster on the 3DO emulator. Which brings up the second point:
* FreeDO port will be close to fullspeed
Due to the 3DO ARM60's code being run natively on the GP2X ARM9, emulation of the sound and video processors will be MUCH easier. Worst case, games will run at close to fullspeed, which isn't bad at all.
"

Are you implying you will be using a virtualisation technique to emulate the 3DO? If so, it makes sense you would be going the HH route. But you may not have to or may not be able to, Squidge, Exophase, and I discussed this when talking abuot GBA/GP32 emulation. If you can pull off virtualisation you'll be getting more gains than I got from my psx4gp2x's current dynarec. Whether you can reach fullspeed, that is not for me to say.

How about you get more NDA's and get one to me. I am looking for a new project and I am willing to work on FreeDO as it's my type of project. I have a lot of other talent I can bring on board as well. So please have him back here. I will be nice. I just don't want users of the forum to be lead on. That's all.

i registered on the forums and the admin (creator) of the forums announced it there. Not really an announcement, just mentioned in response to questions about a dreamcast port.

Squidge said:
Using the second processor for fixed point maths? Isn't that a little pointless? There would be more time spent in handshaking between the two processors than actual work. Simple 16.16 fpo's are best done on the 920 as they are easy and fast.
Well, let me correct Jaguarandine a little. I'm not using 2nd core as fixed point coprocessor.
After several trials and errors here is most current layout ---

2nd core == ARM60 emulator -- loads and modifies the code for ARM60 (takes into account R15 usage as operand) for direct execution. replaces hardware access with unique SWI. SWI handler besides handling 3DO SWI calls, recognizez HW access SWI and directs them to 1st core.

1st core == emulates all hardware, and handles all hardware access.

there are still couple of problems with this layout, but it works the best, and i believe i will leave it this way.

zodttd said:
How about you get more NDA's and get one to me. I am looking for a new project and I am willing to work on FreeDO as it's my type of project. I have a lot of other talent I can bring on board as well. So please have him back here. I will be nice. I just don't want users of the forum to be lead on. That's all.
you can contact me directly, using MSN. PM me for details :)

zodttd said:
Checked www.freedo.org and saw no mention of the gp2x, though it may be a really outdated site?
I simply have little time to deal with the site. But i've mentioned the port in one of my posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering how the discussion went zodttd :) Just don't learn so much that you can't release any other prgrams :lol:

Back