Freedo Gp2x

Jaguarandine

Hi, I know there is another thread about this, but think that everyone needs to read what is said here first before making any assumptions (the other is still really small). I think there was some miscommunication on the previous FreeDO thread, which is why it wasn't released sooner. He didn't create the video as some requested, but the FreeDO developer is a very busy person. The other thread didn't exactly work as planned. However, I believed he would do it, so I saved up a little each month until I could afford to buy him one.

I (and Yono, who also knew) didn't plan on releasing this info until the gp2x had a playable build, but I guess the cat is out of the bag ;)

This is important: Whatever you do, please don't go around the FreeDO forums asking "when will the gp2x port be done" or "when will we have updates". The FreeDO developer goes at his own pace and will finish when he finishes. Pushing and prodding him won't get us very far. Just take a look at what some other people have done over there; it hasn't turned out so well for them. Honestly, it might be over 6 months until an alpha or beta is released. Please have patience.

I told Admin (the main developer) that the gp2x community is different and that we show developers the respect that they deserve. If you look at the FreeDO donations page, they've only gotten around $235 since they started five years ago, which is quite sad. I've equaled that already with my gp2x donation (with BoB and AC adpater as well). I know the gp2x community (I'm not mentioning any particular community with this, no flame) is not a bunch of ungrateful whiners who ask for things (things given for free btw) and get mad when they don't recieve them when they want. Please don't prove me wrong :)

If you haven't already done so please read the old thread for more info on this

Here are parts of a recent conversation I had with him:

"also -- do you want to support USB cdrom drives via breakboard?"
-I told him sure. What does everyone think?

"another task for you --- please compile requested feature list."
-what does everyone want in the FreeDO port?

"another limitation -- there will be no return to OS once FreeDOGP2X will be loaded --- only power-off
since i'll completely replace OS on both cores"

Q: Is it in way?
"yep
for your info --- i have preliminary code up and running already --- event scheduling, emulator core, 2nd core loader, graphics chipset emulator on 2nd core
all this without OS"

-His unit came with 3.0, which why I think he may feel this way. Could he be pushing the gp2x in such a way that requires elimination of Linux?

Let me give you some background on this (different conversations heavily edited for pertinent info):

Q: How will you use the video processor if MagicEyes won't release the documentation?
A: i'm using MagicEyes in one of my new design
same MMSP2
automotive multimedia

Q: People seem to think MagicEyes is pretty shady, as they have yet to release to the full documentation as according to the GPL
for the MMSP2 I mean
A: well -- i have it complete
since i've signed NDA and official developer...
...i also got MP2530F board...
...i've got pretty neat documentation, much deeper than you can find online
...complete 3d info, complete video processor. sharing bus tricks and many others...
that's why i said -- it's possible to port freedo to gp2x...
i cannot share this info though... only use it

Q: how much would a 3DO emulator push the gp2x you think? Percentage-wise?
A: my wild guess --- up to 70-80 on 2nd core, and up to 30 on 1st core

Last edited by a moderator:
jaquarandine: what is the projection fps whise of what speed this will eventually run? (i know its totally speculative)

Jaguarandine posted on Feb 28 2007 at 11:13 AM said:
fullspeed at 200 MHz

If that happens, I would be EXTREMELY impressed. I don't even get full speed on some games on my 1.7 ghz laptop for the windows version.

I have little programming experience, so help on such questions would very appreciated. Gotta go to work...

Great Job! i cant wait for this (tho i never owned a 3DO) it still sounds awsome, cant wait till its released

Jaguarandine posted on Feb 28 2007 at 04:13 PM said:
fullspeed at 200 MHz

I would guess that is with no sound though right?

Jaguarandine posted on Feb 28 2007 at 06:55 PM said:
Sorry, with full sound support.

Any suggestions as to the features of FreeDO?

Good luck. I will believe it when I see it. 3DO doesn't run that great on my laptop that has vastly more powerful specs than the GP2X.

One thing the GP2X has going for it for 3DO is that the screen resolution matches perfect. The 3DO was truly 320 x 240 (without the fake line doubling which we don't need) so at least it will match at 1:1.

Wish you luck, but I'm skeptical. For example, full support of the 2X's and the BoB's hardware without Linux is going to take a LOT of time and knowledge, along with a lot of rewriting of code (as since he's using NDA'd documents he can't use any Linux source or other GPL code, as that would require him to release his source too).

To me, it seems like a lot of theory, but little practical experience, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

BTW, You can run native ARM code on the 2x across both cores without killing Linux (ie, no need to emulate CPU if the emulation target is also ARM), which means you have full access to USB, SD card, etc without having to rewrite, but it seems he's already gone down the other route...

I'll be very interested in watching this project :)

Sounds great, best of luck to Admin.

As for feature requests -- to be honest, all that matters right now is that it's playable. Don't worry about USB support and such yet, if that would hold up the main emulation.

Long-term, a saving system (SRAM, save states, whatever) would be important.

The 3DO had internal storage memory (Non-Volatile - I think?) for save games like todays mem cards.

will this be emulated as well?

Save states would be very nice and a GUI (basic).

I know that this is a very cloudy and subject, and only guestimate's can be made but you say that the 2x can possibly run freedo @ 100% speed and @ only 200Mhz? So why is PSX so slow (can any of freedo's idea's be used for PSX?)

I really hope this works out, and patiance is my middle name...

Thanks.

moose posted on Feb 28 2007 at 10:33 PM said:
I know that this is a very cloudy and subject, and only guestimate's can be made but you say that the 2x can possibly run freedo @ 100% speed and @ only 200Mhz? So why is PSX so slow (can any of freedo's idea's be used for PSX?)

The 3DO has a ARM CPU just like the GP2X, while the PSX has a MIPS CPU (like the PSP).

The Author of FreeDO says that he wants to run the 3DO ARM directly on the GP2X ARM920, just like it was tried with the GBA ARM on the GP32 (and I think on the GP2X) some time ago. But that didn't really work all that well and was more like a proof of concept and nothing more. So color me skeptical ;)

Squidge posted on Feb 28 2007 at 11:36 AM said:
Wish you luck, but I'm skeptical. For example, full support of the 2X's and the BoB's hardware without Linux is going to take a LOT of time and knowledge, along with a lot of rewriting of code (as since he's using NDA'd documents he can't use any Linux source or other GPL code, as that would require him to release his source too).

To me, it seems like a lot of theory, but little practical experience, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

BTW, You can run native ARM code on the 2x across both cores without killing Linux (ie, no need to emulate CPU if the emulation target is also ARM), which means you have full access to USB, SD card, etc without having to rewrite, but it seems he's already gone down the other route...

I'll be very interested in watching this project :)

Doesn't give me much confidence if you have doubts :)

So you're saying that he can't use Linux even if he wanted to because the source is closed?

Julius posted on Feb 28 2007 at 10:13 PM said:
moose posted on Feb 28 2007 at 10:33 PM said:

The 3DO has a ARM CPU just like the GP2X, while the PSX has a MIPS CPU (like the PSP).

The Author of FreeDO says that he want to run the 3DO ARM directly on the GP2X ARM920, just like it was tried to do with the GBA ARM on the GP32 (and I think on the GP2X) some time ago. But that didn't really work all that well and was more like a proof of concept and nothing more. So color me skeptical ;)

I did not know that the PSX used a MIPS CPU. I can see now that alot of cpu/emulation time canbe saved here. Does this mean that FreeDo will be run natively (almost) on 2x rather than emulating hardware and will drastically improve performance over current emu's (Correct me if im wrong).

If im right, I have all the confidence that FreeDo will run full speed on 2x. 3DO was my fav over PSX back then anyway, and would rather have a 3DO emu instead of PSX (No disrespect for the work on PSX intended). It had the hardware, games and style, shame about the price tag.

GoodLuck... :)

Respect to the DEV.

Back