Free Download - Original Gta & Others

Does anyone remember when they released the ad-supported free version?

What a frustrating affair that was. People who thought the ad supported Gizmondo would have been a good idea obviously didn't try that version of GTA first :)

It's the Windows DirectX version, which never needed a slowdown utility, not the DOS version or DOS 3DFX version.

The best bit about GTA was lining up a crap load of cars, blowing the first one and then "surfing" across them without being killed... even in the flaky DOS IPX multiplayer, it was great fun to do. Just a shame that the modern GTA's decide to remove objects out of sight just as heavy-handily as the early DOS ones... even in San Andreas, you can't get more than a dozen cars before ones on the edges start mysteriously disappearing... but then SA does let you line up your cars on the train lines, which is infinitely more fun, especially when you destroy the level crossing barriers and so have no idea when the next train will arrive.

Oh, and several times, myself and my brother played this over a serial cable in DOS... I found a utility that let you emulate IPX over ordinary null-modem cables between computers, so any IPX-compatible game would just work... great fun we had, GTA, Magic Carpet and Quake all worked over a 19200 bps connection...

craigix said:
Does anyone remember when they released the ad-supported free version?

What a frustrating affair that was. People who thought the ad supported Gizmondo would have been a good idea obviously didn't try that version of GTA first :)
Were there actually any ads for the Gizmondo? IIRC no company ever bothered to advertise on it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice link, but you're a bit late. When I found out I tried to get a bunch of my friends to start playing with me, but no one wanted too.

ledow said:
It's the Windows DirectX version, which never needed a slowdown utility, not the DOS version or DOS 3DFX version.
Ah! That's good news. I'll give it a go.

ledow said:
The best bit about GTA was lining up a crap load of cars, blowing the first one and then "surfing" across them without being killed... even in the flaky DOS IPX multiplayer, it was great fun to do. Just a shame that the modern GTA's decide to remove objects out of sight just as heavy-handily as the early DOS ones... even in San Andreas, you can't get more than a dozen cars before ones on the edges start mysteriously disappearing... but then SA does let you line up your cars on the train lines, which is infinitely more fun, especially when you destroy the level crossing barriers and so have no idea when the next train will arrive.

I remember trying to park different cars in one corner of the map.
After a while it was only taxis that were being regenerated.

That and shooting a rocket, jumping into a porka and trying to follow it down the road.
Heh, playing multiplayer where you could see the other person's screen and shooting them from offscreen :]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back