GP2X Fps Engine Suggestion

Ravnos

Asleep in Samsara
Website
Visit site
Ok, I'm not sure if I should have put this in General GP2X Talk or not, so mods feel free to move it if I screwed up and accept my apologies.

In the thread "What are you going to play on the GP2X?" I mentioned that I'd be tickled pink if someone were to port the Doom 64 Total Conversion to the GP2X. This is still true, but an added benefit of that hit me like a ton of bricks today. It might be the perfect engine for FPSes on the GP2X. Think about it. It's a very heavily modified version of the original Doom engine, allowing for better graphics than just a straight Doom port. It will probably be faster (or at least as fast) as the Quake port because it's still 2.5D and the graphics aren't as good (but still decent!), and on top of that the fact that you don't need to look up or down should make the controls a bit easier to handle on the GP2X. There may be some porting difficulty, though, so it'll be understandable if it doesn't get done.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion, if nobody does it it won't be a big deal. I just thought it would be a neat idea, I don't want to come across like some demanding n00b or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
In theory, it sounds like a good idea. However, the N64 version or the PC version would have to be ported and I'm not sure that would be possible...

In theory, it sounds like a good idea. However, the N64 version or the PC version would have to be ported and I'm not sure that would be possible...

The source is available for the PC version. It doesn't use SDL, though, so it might be a bit of a pain to port over.

Last edited by a moderator:
OTOH, the Linux version of the ZDoom port does use SDL... (but also FMOD, FLAC(++) and zlib- not so sure about them and GP2X :() as well as the unpatched ZDoom Windows source... any chance...? I believe someone is making a Doom64 TC for ZDoom too...

To be honest, I don't really know too much about the subject as far as actual development, just thought I'd add something useful to this topic.

Oh, and ZDoom can also play Heretic, HeXen, and Strife, has masses of extra features (as well as the features from those games like ACS scripting) such as custom monsters (and an unofficial build that supports custom weapons by the same lump though I don't think there's a linux patch for that yet)... In other words, I reckon that if the Doom64 TC port can't be ported, well, this one might be easier, and offer the same sorts of neat new features of the 64TC.

Well, that's my 2 cents. I can definitely understand if noone would want to bother with this though.

Back