Forgive Me For What I Hath Done

TwoHeadedBoy

Website
Visit site
The GP2X is great and all that, it's easily the best games machine I've ever had, but those boot-up times...

So I went out this morning and got a Game Boy Advance SP, the one that looks like a NES, with Breath of Fire, Golden Sun and Castlevania, for just £70. I love it! Don't know why I've strayed from getting one for so long. The GP2X still wins overall in my collection, but for stick-it-in-your-pocket-play-a-game-for-five-minutes-while-waiting-for-the-bus-ness, I have to say that my new little friend wins.

Just thought I'd let y'all know...

No need to apologise, I recomend that everyone does the same. A genuine GBA is way better than any emulation you're likely to see on the gp2x, and if everyone buys one then we'll have less nagging for an emu :)

The GBA castlevania games do totally rock btw, as do the advance wars and metroid games.

Cheers dude, and good point about the emulation.
Got any other recommendations? I was thinking of getting Alien Hominid and Gunstar Super Heroes come payday. Astro Boy also looks great, and Dragonball Advance Adventure (you can see my preferred game styles obviously).

I went out today and bought an OTHER CONSOLES FORUM the gp2x rocks and all but the OTHER CONSOLES FORUM is so handy for when I want to discuss other consoles besides the gp2x.

get a flash cart they are cheap nowadays i reccomend the movie cart as it takes SD cardsso u can use your gp2x card

ds is pretty nice for short plays also,
Flipping out the ds and playing mario kart online while waiting for the bus/eating at mcdonald=priceless

Vimacs posted on Feb 6 2006 at 01:33 PM said:
Flipping out the ds and playing mario kart online while waiting for the bus/eating at mcdonald=priceless
I'd agree with this. It also plays all your gba games and the screen is much better too.

Last edited by a moderator:
TwoHeadedBoy posted on Feb 6 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
Got any other recommendations? I was thinking of getting Alien Hominid and Gunstar Super Heroes come payday. Astro Boy also looks great, and Dragonball Advance Adventure (you can see my preferred game styles obviously).
You have good taste in games. All of those that you have named are definitely worth picking up.

Personally, I would recommend any of the Mega Man Zero games from 2 to 4, and Golden Sun: The Lost Age (the second Golden Sun title), if you can find them. Wario Ware: Minigame Mania is a must-have for insane fun in short bursts, although I cannot be held accountable for the game making you chuckle at your GBA on the bus. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is good if you don't already own the SNES version, and I suppose it goes without saying that The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is also well worth checking out. Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land is a great fun though somewhat short title that is potentially deserving of a place in your collection. If you happen to like puzzling platformers try to find Klonoa: Empire of Dreams, too. Last of all, keep an eye on the twin packs of games that are currently being released at a steady rate - some of them represent good opportunities to pick up two previously out of print games for the same price as, or less than, one of them alone would originally have cost. (A good way to keep tabs on them would be to check http://www.game.net from time to time).

A word of warning, though, in case you were considering it: Try to avoid buying Game Boy Advance games over eBay, as nowadays there seem to be large numbers of counterfeits with dud save-batteries and they seem to outnumber the genuine copies of games at times.

I hope a few of these suggestions are helpful in some way.

Also, just so you are aware, Gunstar Super Heroes has been renamed to "Gunstar Future Heroes" for the European market, in case you get any funny looks whilst asking for it under its original name. ;)

And don't forget - should you ever get a Nintendo DS all of your GBA games will still be playable on that as well.

My brother has Final fantasy tactics, a very cool game :) (i whish i could play it on my gp32 :( )

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is alse a great game.
And of course the pokemon series are great, but maybe its just me who likes them :p.

Dont get need for speed: most wanted, it sucks.

wow i want to live where you do that you have wifi at bus stops

Empyre posted on Feb 6 2006 at 08:47 AM said:
I'd agree with this. It also plays all your gba games and the screen is much better too.

Get you a GB SP with the "New Brighter Screen" it is better than the DS screen.

Shotgun Dingo posted on Feb 6 2006 at 02:48 PM said:
TwoHeadedBoy posted on Feb 6 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
You have good taste in games. All of those that you have named are definitely worth picking up.

Personally, I would recommend any of the Mega Man Zero games from 2 to 4, and Golden Sun: The Lost Age (the second Golden Sun title), if you can find them. Wario Ware: Minigame Mania is a must-have for insane fun in short bursts, although I cannot be held accountable for the game making you chuckle at your GBA on the bus. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is good if you don't already own the SNES version, and I suppose it goes without saying that The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is also well worth checking out. Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land is a great fun though somewhat short title that is potentially deserving of a place in your collection. If you happen to like puzzling platformers try to find Klonoa: Empire of Dreams, too. Last of all, keep an eye on the twin packs of games that are currently being released at a steady rate - some of them represent good opportunities to pick up two previously out of print games for the same price as, or less than, one of them alone would originally have cost. (A good way to keep tabs on them would be to check http://www.game.net from time to time).

A word of warning, though, in case you were considering it: Try to avoid buying Game Boy Advance games over eBay, as nowadays there seem to be large numbers of counterfeits with dud save-batteries and they seem to outnumber the genuine copies of games at times.

I hope a few of these suggestions are helpful in some way.

Also, just so you are aware, Gunstar Super Heroes has been renamed to "Gunstar Future Heroes" for the European market, in case you get any funny looks whilst asking for it under its original name. ;)

And don't forget - should you ever get a Nintendo DS all of your GBA games will still be playable on that as well.

Thanks for that, the eBay advice especially. That was to be my port of call for SP games, but I'm thinking'll stick with Gamestation for now. I love Kirby games too, so I'll look out for Nightmare in Dream Land. What a friendly board this 'other consoles' place is!

TwoHeadedBoy posted on Feb 6 2006 at 12:25 PM said:
The GP2X still wins overall in my collection, but for stick-it-in-your-pocket-play-a-game-for-five-minutes-while-waiting-for-the-bus-ness, I have to say that my new little friend wins.

Even when it was just GP32 (no GP2X), I had this same sentiment. If I wanted to play homebrew, do some development, or watch videos, I would bust out the GP32. If I wanted to play commercial games (ESPECIALLY Multiplayer), I pull my Afterburner GBAs from my backpack.

Now that I have a GP2X, I pretty much feel the same way. I filled an SMC card up with some games and lent my GP32 to my dad. He uses it more than I would.

I still don't see any reason for me to own a DS. The PSP seems cool, but my GP2X/GBA combo suits my needs perfectly.

Angel posted on Feb 6 2006 at 09:48 AM said:

wow i want to live where you do that you have wifi at bus stops
He might live near someone who's got an unsecured wireless network.

chaos engineer posted on Feb 6 2006 at 09:26 AM said:
For stick-it-in-your-pocket-play-a-game-for-five-minutes-while-waiting-for-the-bus-purposes I recommend the GP32.
Hear hear! gp32_console

- Alex

I am sorry, but I am very protective when it comes to my GP32. It is easier to throw a GP SP in your pocket because of the fliptop that protects the screen. Is there any case that is the same size as the GP32 and still offer some protection to the unit? Something that can fit into your pocket? :huh:

Alex. posted on Feb 6 2006 at 11:43 PM said:
chaos engineer posted on Feb 6 2006 at 09:26 AM said:
For stick-it-in-your-pocket-play-a-game-for-five-minutes-while-waiting-for-the-bus-purposes I recommend the GP32.
Hear hear! gp32_console

- Alex

Yep. Wapping out my beast on the bus and letting my "best friends" have a play.

:p

Nothing quite like playing the real doom on a massive 3.5" screen on a bus, stuff the gba, I have a gp32.
gp32_console
8bit8qs.png

Back